Monthly News Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Now's the time to ask for the world. All travel and medical expenses covered yo.

might end up more profitable for them to go after bigger money and still cover that stuff themselves, than going after the benefits. but hey, I have no idea whats being offered

I believe Dave said word spread through the locker room this week about how much Jericho is making, and it woke people up to how serious an option AEW is

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
might end up more profitable for them to go after bigger money and still cover that stuff themselves, than going after the benefits. but hey, I have no idea whats being offered

I believe Dave said word spread through the locker room this week about how much Jericho is making, and it woke people up to how serious an option AEW is

Well Tony Khan's got bigger clout than Vince, at least financially, right?

Nice little feather in AEW's cap, for sure, when it comes to contract offers and building a roster. Still need to see how AEW plans on booking all that talent, though. WWE is still obviously tops in marketability and spectacle, but booking is their downfall, and that's on Vince.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Dean was a surprise. I still think the most obvious guy from WWE to end up waiving goodbye is Sami.

Unfortunately KO signed a 5 year deal not too long ago. I'm not sure he'd leave anyways. He's one of those guys who romanticized about being there for so long that he's content.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That's interesting.

I hope we find out what Nakamura, Styles, Good Bros are doing, though I expect Naka and the Good Bros to 100% stay. Styles has a bit more of a potential reason to go, depending on how much trouble WWE is giving him over wanting to be part-time

I don't think many knew Ambrose's contract was expiring.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I still think Wyatt is a really interesting case. He can't be terribly happy right now to just...do...nothing because creative has straight up admitted they don't know what to do with you which is actually somehow an improvement from when WWE was trying to do something with him.

WWE is in his blood though. I suspect he'll probably stay even if the contract was up soonish.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I still think Wyatt is a really interesting case. He can't be terribly happy right now to just...do...nothing because creative has straight up admitted they don't know what to do with you which is actually somehow an improvement from when WWE was trying to do something with him.

WWE is in his blood though. I suspect he'll probably stay even if the contract was up soonish.

Meh. WWE was in Cody's blood until they told him he wasn't better than Stardust.

When you really think about it, none of this would be happening if they hadn't relegated Cody to dumb shit.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Meh. WWE was in Cody's blood until they told him he wasn't better than Stardust.

When you really think about it, none of this would be happening if they hadn't relegated Cody to dumb ****.

In their defense, it worked for Goldust for like, twenty years.

Cody wasn't about that life, though, clearly.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wyatt on the Indies would be weird. Would he still try to be a dark/mysterious character? Would he go back to more what his FCW/early NXT character was like? Would he be something completely different?

I wonder what his name would be.

Could he just go by "Wyatt"?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
In their defense, it worked for Goldust for like, twenty years.

Cody wasn't about that life, though, clearly.

Did it really, though?

Goldust was hot for a couple years. The rest he was a very solid enhancement talent, which you do need, but not from somebody with Cody's look and talent.

And Cody was a parody of the guy that spent most his career as an enhancement talent.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Did it really, though?

Goldust was hot for a couple years. The rest he was a very solid enhancement talent, which you do need, but not from somebody with Cody's look and talent.

And Cody was a parody of the guy that spent most his career as an enhancement talent.

It must've, if he's kept the same character for as long as he has. He hasn't had to be taken off TV to be re-written, outside of his brief stint with WCW. :laugh:

Last I checked, even though I think he's on hiatus now doing Hollywood stuff, I think Dustin Runnels is still on the WWE payroll.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Dean was a surprise. I still think the most obvious guy from WWE to end up waiving goodbye is Sami.

Still hoping they eventually do an angle where Sami bumps his head and he starts moonlighting as El Generico against the cruiserweights. That or he's in a loser leaves town match against somebody like Curt Hawkins but comes back the next week as Generico.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think AEW contracts are all kayfabe, don't buy it for a second. Pretty much all the people signed we found out later are on per appearance deals and not even exclusive. And right now AEW only has 2 shows actually planned. I am sure All In 2 will take place but thats 3 shows until September and nothing so far for the last quarter of the year.

Jerhico is probably getting good money but he is probably on the same "executive" type deal Cody and the Bucks have.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Still hoping they eventually do an angle where Sami bumps his head and he starts moonlighting as El Generico against the cruiserweights. That or he's in a loser leaves town match against somebody like Curt Hawkins but comes back the next week as Generico.

Pfft, as if they'd have Hawkins win a match like that. :sarcasm:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It must've, if he's kept the same character for as long as he has. He hasn't had to be taken off TV to be re-written, outside of his brief stint with WCW. :laugh:

Last I checked, even though I think he's on hiatus now doing Hollywood stuff, I think Dustin Runnels is still on the WWE payroll.
That's not really true lol. He bounced around a ton, so much that I had to look it up to count! So while he's had somewhat the same character for a long time, it's never really been in the same place for very long. His current WWE run is his longest in one place.

He's had six different stints in WWE. Those are punctuated by three WCW runs, two TNA runs, at least one retirement, and an indy run. Not including his All Japan and USWA runs between his WCW and WWF debuts.

He's out right now due to double knee surgery he had in the summer.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I mean... We're talking about WWE booking here. Just because they keep him in the same character to appear sporadically doesn't mean it's fresh and effective.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
That's not really true lol. He bounced around a ton, so much that I had to look it up to count! So while he's had somewhat the same character for a long time, it's never really been in the same place for very long. His current WWE run is his longest in one place.

He's had six different stints in WWE. Those are punctuated by three WCW runs, two TNA runs, at least one retirement, and an indy run. Not including his All Japan and USWA runs between his WCW and WWF debuts.

He's out right now due to double knee surgery he had in the summer.

Ah, didn't realize he had jumped around as much. At least it goes to show that WWE was still comfortable enough to bring him back so often, and keep him "in character", so to speak, instead as something/someone completely different.

I mean... We're talking about WWE booking here. Just because they keep him in the same character to appear sporadically doesn't mean it's fresh and effective.

I'm not saying it's fresh, necessarily, but it is effective. Everyone knows Goldust, he's been around long enough for his early fans to grow up, have kids, and have their kids be fans of the same exact character.

And on that note, he's one of the few remnants of a time where people created and built characters or alter-egos.

Outside of Undertaker and Kane, how many others are left besides Goldust? Nowadays everyone just has a generic ring name.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I'm not saying it's fresh, necessarily, but it is effective. Everyone knows Goldust, he's been around long enough for his early fans to grow up, have kids, and have their kids be fans of the same exact character.

And on that note, he's one of the few remnants of a time where people created and built characters or alter-egos.

Outside of Undertaker and Kane, how many others are left besides Goldust? Nowadays everyone just has a generic ring name.

I mean, he gets a pop when he appears for the first time in awhile, just like any other vet, but after that the crowd is dead for him. Like I said, he's a really good enhancement talent in that he can give a guy a good match and put him over time and time again.

Cody may not be a main event guy, but he's better than an enhancement talent.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think Matt Hardy taking time off to heal from injuries messed up the plans with Bray. Whether they had plans for Bray to turn on Matt or vice versa, or Jeff or other joining them... If Matt is indeed cleared now and in some creative role as well, he needs to work with Bray and see what path to take with him. Matt's woken gimmick did wonders for both of them and them returning, faces or heels, could do wonders for the tag division on Raw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad