TV: Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

IBleedOil247

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton
Im all in - although i had to take a night off last night because it is quite troubling.
5 in, 5 to go. What a f***ed up dude

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Is a good show, questionable on if it was done in poor taste

evan peters killed it (though he just did his best Joe Pera impression). liked the background theme/music a lot

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It's definitely a well done series. Evan Peters was a very good choice to play Dahmer and he does a great job.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Maybe I'm naive, but am I the only one who actually felt a little sorry for him for the first few episodes?

I didn't by episode 5 (though I continued to feel horrible for his father), but for the first half of the series just seeing him witness the rocky relationship with his birth mother hand father, his father encouraging his taxidermist hobby, and his seemingly innocent misunderstanding of right from wrong combined with his inability to hold a job I actually felt bad for him and that how he ended up wasn't completely his fault.

But by the end of the series, when it started to show that he clearly wasn't willing to take accountability for his actions, as well and acting cocky towards his "celebrity" status I certainly felt differently.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Maybe I'm naive, but am I the only one who actually felt a little sorry for him for the first few episodes?

I didn't by episode 5 (though I continued to feel horrible for his father), but for the first half of the series just seeing him witness the rocky relationship with his birth mother hand father, his father encouraging his taxidermist hobby, and his seemingly innocent misunderstanding of right from wrong combined with his inability to hold a job I actually felt bad for him and that how he ended up wasn't completely his fault.

But by the end of the series, when it started to show that he clearly wasn't willing to take accountability for his actions, as well and acting cocky towards his "celebrity" status I certainly felt differently.

I felt bad for him during parts too and a lot of it I think has to do with the fact that the series really shied away from showing the gruesome details of his crimes which when you read about what he did, it kinda dehumanizes him again

Reactions: End on a Hinote

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
It’s not quiet as grandiose as other Ryan Murphy shows. Having to stick to an actual coherent story seems to keep his work a little more grounded in reality. Probably Evan Peters’ best work.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Is a good show, questionable on if it was done in poor taste

evan peters killed it (though he just did his best Joe Pera impression). liked the background theme/music a lot
absolutely poor taste
and yeah his wisconsin accent was way too heavy, but whatever.

it was one of those shows where once you start you can't stop watching, and once it's done you for sure feel guilty for just binge watching a glammed up Ryan Murphy series about a killer (did the same thing with OJ and Versace lol)

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
maybe it’s cause I’m not versed on the Dahmer subject, but this show is in stark contrast to the My Friend Dahmer movie. I’m not interested in serial killers, but I’m confused as to what type of person he is.

The movie makes it seem like he has a few friends, but in this show it’s like the family relationship struggles warp his sense of reality in order to kill people.

It also didn’t help that I found Niecy Nash completely annoying as the episodes went on.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
maybe it’s cause I’m not versed on the Dahmer subject, but this show is in stark contrast to the My Friend Dahmer movie. I’m not interested in serial killers, but I’m confused as to what type of person he is.

The movie makes it seem like he has a few friends, but in this show it’s like the family relationship struggles warp his sense of reality in order to kill people.

It also didn’t help that I found Niecy Nash completely annoying as the episodes went on.

She’s a damn good actress but ugh her voice is like nails on a chalkboard

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
what's also annoying is when you learn that his actual neighbor was not the one who phoned the police, and actually was relatively unaware of what was going on. The real Glenda Cleveland who called lived in the vicinity and did get on the police for releasing the underage boy back to him, but everything else was fabricated. It was his landlord who got on him about the smell, in the show they made it same like he was fine letting it slide

Same with his dad showing him how to chop up roadkill, complete fabrication. Those are huge details which then really is like, why tf did you even make it. At least it's how it made me feel

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Same with his dad showing him how to chop up roadkill, complete fabrication. Those are huge details which then really is like, why tf did you even make it. At least it's how it made me feel

It’s ‘Hollywood’ (or Netflix in this case lol)

Yeah, what can you do. The show was great, but now (to me) it will make others sympathize with what Dahmer did.

the angles of the show focusing on certain things was interesting - especially in the eyes of my wife. She did a project on him before for a course in college years ago, and doesn’t remember ever reading about the dad being into taxidermy as a hobby

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016

I didn't by episode 5 (though I continued to feel horrible for his father)..
Yeah.. whenever I read about serial killers, I basically feel for everyone involved. The innocent victims, the anguish their families go thru.. and the killers (with their demons) and their families. It's really all horrible.
I read the graphic novel My Friend Dahmer several years ago, I thought it made Dahmer sympathetic as a young man. Dahmer was basically a neglected loner, and the guy who wrote/illustrated the graphic novel was part of a group who made sport out of Dahmer's idiosyncrasies, etc. The author came off as a d*ck to me, and I could see how anger could have built up in teenaged Dahmer. I also read a biography authored by Dahmer's father Lionel (A Father's Story). And the dad definitely wrestled with the possible guilt, of how his genes & fathering contributed to Dahmer's deviance. The Dahmer story is a bewildering, heartbreaking thing.

Reactions: End on a Hinote

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It’s ‘Hollywood’ (or Netflix in this case lol)

Yeah, what can you do. The show was great, but now (to me) it will make others sympathize with what Dahmer did.

the angles of the show focusing on certain things was interesting - especially in the eyes of my wife. She did a project on him before for a course in college years ago, and doesn’t remember ever reading about the dad being into taxidermy as a hobby

I get the true crime drama series making people sympathize with a monster but people are going to do that regardless

what's also annoying is when you learn that his actual neighbor was not the one who phoned the police, and actually was relatively unaware of what was going on. The real Glenda Cleveland who called lived in the vicinity and did get on the police for releasing the underage boy back to him, but everything else was fabricated. It was his landlord who got on him about the smell, in the show they made it same like he was fine letting it slide

The Glenda character in the show also had aspects of Pamela Bass, don’t know why they didn’t just make her a character

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
I've watched up to Episode eight, but I think episode six may be my favorite piece of television. Could have said the same last week about The Sandman and their episode six, too. Great story telling.

Also, I don't know how much of this has been fictionalized and I'm not sure I want to know. At this very least this seems to be giving enough of a "reason"

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I've watched up to Episode eight, but I think episode six may be my favorite piece of television. Could have said the same last week about The Sandman and their episode six, too. Great story telling.

Also, I don't know how much of this has been fictionalized and I'm not sure I want to know. At this very least this seems to be giving enough of a "reason"

It hasn’t embellished a lot but has taken several liberties for entertainment

At least it’s been told through the eyes of the victims

kook10

Jun 27, 2011

That episode was very reminiscent - stylewise - of Master of None s2e6 which was also a great piece of TV.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Watched some episodes while recovering from getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Find it pretty much by-the-numbers and not much else, TBH. I think I'm at episode 5. It's pretty much the definition of not bad but not remotely memorable thus far. In all aspects.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Does anyone know if the two officers prank calling the Laotian victims family actually happened? I tried googling it but the only link I could find was the same question on Reddit that wouldn't let me read it unless I registered.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just finished it today and I can't help but wonder was really really smart? Was he that good at what he did?

Or were the cops just f***ing idiots?

For the record everybody should watch this once it is very good.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Sending a naked, injured 14 year old home with a random guy who claims to be his lover doesn't scream a qualified cop to me.
Said cop then ends up as the president of the police union for almost 2 decades!! I definitely left the series feeling like the police department has a whole shit load of blood on their hands over the victims of Dahmer.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
You don’t have to be smart to be murking people. Especially if you’re drugging them. Guy seemed like a dumbass to me, throw in the satanism and he seems even dumber.

Watched the first few episodes. Really well shot, makes you feel like you’re watching something stinky. Serial killers are boring though and the fact that they crave attention is more than enough reason not to feed into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad