Post-Game Talk: Monarch

3 Stars

• Total voters

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I wasn't negative at all toward him tonight or ever actually, but at some point he really needs to start converting his chances.

I'm actually impressed with how much he's improved his skating. He's still not a speed demon, but it's obvious he's really worked hard on his stride.

I find his edge work, especially this season has had a significant skill modifier rolled on 'em.

Reactions: egelband

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
At the quarter point, and this team continues to underachieve. Tonight's game was at least recognizable as professional hockey, though.

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
Great win. Happy to see them turn it around after that wretched first period. Not surprised that the dump and forecheck lead to goals. Back off the D then there will be more space for carrying into the zone.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Totally agree. Finally gets one, gives the other team fits throughout the night. People in here are on him lol

I hope he keeps pushing. He's the one Ranger outside of Fox that when he has the puck - I feel like a 5 man press is not getting it from him.
He just needs to get rid of the puck a little quicker. He has a good shot but he hesitates to shoot a little too often and then misses that opportunity to score. If he is just a little more decisive he could put up some good numbers.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
At the quarter point, and this team continues to underachieve. Tonight's game was at least recognizable as professional hockey, though.
They are on pace for 98 points and have lost only 6 of 20 games in regulation. They haven't played nearly as bad as some make it seem. Not saying they can't play better but you would think they were 2-18 by some of the takes on here.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Clutch & grab defense from Kings with nothing called gave me 2014 flashbacks.

Really satisfying win after a terrible 1st. Now let’s put a streak together please.
I noticed that too. But also, the rangers are at their best with little special teams play, when they can run out all the lines intact. I know they're good on the PP but I think they're better with long stretches of ES play. It almost never happens though. I think this was the second game this year with minimal ST play.

Lindgren
Shesterkin
Kakko
Honorable mention:
Schneider
I voted Lindgren too. Thought he was a force.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kakko was absolutely ROBBED for his second goal of the night that we all thought hit the post. Kakko somehow got it through all the players and it hits the top of the goalie glove who dove across. 2:00 minute mark for the good replay...wow

Yeah it hit LA #2s knuckle and then bounced of the goalie's glove... Kakko was robbed. The real mistake was later when he tried to deke through two sticks in the slot for another shot instead of keeping the puck and cycle alive in the o-zone. Then later in that sequence Laffy lollygagged with the puck in the Rangers d zone when he had loads of time and space to clear it, which lead to the Kings' deflection goal... (off Carpenter).

This is why the kids need lots of ice time. Training is one thing, match tempo and match situations another.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Missed most of first. But when I saw they were down by 2 early, I weirdly felt confident that it would get their attention and they'd push back. A gutsy win. The Kings third goal was so frustrating but just bad luck after a dominating shift by the Kids. Kakko looked dominant, too bad he couldn't find a few more. Third pairing looked above average. Jones and Schneider looking more at ease. Trouba is looking more comfortable out there. Trocheck with an underrated good game. And I've seen a bunch of Blais bashing on social recently, I have to say, I think that 4th line has been very effective since it was put together. They are actually getting chances and are doing a great job forechecking and crashing the net. Gauthier and Blais both have more skill than vast majority of our recent 4th liners. And they are hitting well. Good win. Good fortitude. And at least in the last 40 they played a mostly responsible game. Far better puck management and play away from the puck. Need to use this to build momentum.
I knew the rangers won, watching the replay. And even so, the kings third goal infuriated me. Even in a loss the kings got more puck luck than the rangers.

(I don't care what the ES% was).

Reactions: TheDirtyH and tlk

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah it hit LA #2s knuckle and then bounced of the goalie's glove... Kakko was robbed. The real mistake was later when he tried to deke through two sticks in the slot for another shot instead of keeping the puck and cycle alive in the o-zone. Then later in that sequence Laffy lollygagged with the puck in the Rangers d zone when he had loads of time and space to clear it, which lead to the Kings' deflection goal... (off Carpenter).

This is why the kids need lots of ice time. Training is one thing, match tempo and match situations another.
Tempo is huge. That's why I had no problems with the refs 'letting them play' even though that benefited the kings. PP1 feats on special teams battles but when they can roll for lines, everyone benefits. And the rangers depth, when healthy, is very good.

I thought Panarin was great tbh.

Classic "did everything but finish" game.
He's stubborn - refusing to try low percentage plays - but he has been terrific otherwise. I voted him a star. No idea why he's taking fire.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Yup. I thought about saying him too.
interesting...i actually was really impressed with him tonight. i thought he made a ton of great plays defensively both coming back and generating breakouts.

obviously he's paid the big bucks to produce offense too but the 2nd and 3rd i thought he really led by example with just effort and hustle all over the ice. given the start i liked seeing him seem to make a point of lifting just his effort and aggression on pucks - that kinda thing is noticed on the bench and is contagious. first period i'd agree with you tho. also had danault all night who makes a lot of guys play largely forgettable games and i'm pretty sure they had doughty matched up as well who's still a pretty good d. but danault specifically is a serious pain in the bootyhole to play against for anyone most nights.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Kakko might be the unluckiest player I’ve seen in a long time.

It’s not even like he’s making the wrong play most of the time, just something happens that stops a goal. That was a helluva save on him. I think if his decision making was just a split second quicker he’d be having less issues.

Same with Panarin right now. He’s always trying to make a move. You have a great shot, just shoot the damn puck.

Igor is back to being Igor. I thought the defense started clicking this game too. Miller made some nice plays, and I feel like Trouba is starting to look confident again.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Thoughts:

Best "kid line" game to date

Shoot Panarin. Shoot. Please.

Kreider now on pace for 36 goals.

Kakko channeled his inner Gauthier. Woof.

10-6-4 = ~ 40-24-16 over 80 and, hey, that's not so bad.

Vesey = best bang for the buck on the team.

If they eke out a win today vs. the Ducks, this could be the turning point of the entire season.

4th line making it tough for Kravtsov to get back in there. But Gallant needs to find a way.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
By the way where’s Byfield? That kid has done absolutely less than nothing since being drafted. We give laf a hard time but where’s this guy?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I find it funny most of us get on the minimum wage interns but the real issue right now is Mika, Trouba and Panarin 5v5.

Nearly $30M for below average results 5v5 and that's putting it kindly. Our big boys can't be this shit and everything is OK because of the PP

By the way where’s Byfield? That kid has done absolutely less than nothing since being drafted. We give laf a hard time but where’s this guy?
Conditioning assignment after getting sick

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Passed out at 10:00pm, woke up to the highlights and I could only imagine what this place was like after LA scored the first one, then the easy 2nd. Kind of glad I missed it.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Is Panarin going to get his head out of his ass anytime soon? Honest question.

He is so so bad at ES. It's like he not capable anymore of doing anything that isnt on the PP.
He actually created a ton of chances tonight. Should’ve scored a couple goals himself. The puck luck isn’t on his side right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00