Post-Game Talk: Monarch

3 Stars

• Total voters

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
They absolutely thought it was a great comeback effort that speaks to the character of this team
It was, don't let you're blind baseless faith in shiny prospect cloud that. You claim to be a fan of the team but with each passing win (with VK out) you get angrier and angrier....
we shouldn’t change a thing and hence we should keep scratching a top 10 pick who spent his last game on the 2nd line & got a point but will now be a healthy scratch 4 straight games because he got hurt
Agree that we should find a place for him, before he got injured he had a nice outing. BUT his injury issues can't be ignored. He can only be put back in the lineup right away only to be injured right away again so many times before the guys he's replacing and the room starts to sour on him. This is for the good of the team and him. I think when he gets put in, shows he belongs and stays healthy he'll get his permanent spot back no problem.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Is Panarin going to get his head out of his ass anytime soon? Honest question.

He is so so bad at ES. It's like he not capable anymore of doing anything that isnt on the PP.

???
Panarin was awesome last night. that line was in the O zone the entire time it was on the ice in the last two periods.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The first period was bad enough that I actually decided to turn it off and catch up with P2 and P3 in the morning. Glad they turned it around because that was some of the worst hockey they've played all year. Refs were a gong show, but gotta give the team credit for actually figuring out something to change and evening out the game.

Another win tonight would be huge.

GbgRanger

Jul 11, 2009
Sweden / Philippines
If Kakko would have scored instead of Peterson barely making a desperation save the tone in the discussion would be completely different. There is only an inch difference between praising Kakko's infite cool (rarely seen in a young player like that) and ranting about his inability to shoot the puck quickly.

Kakko must be one of the more unlucky/snakebit players i've seen on this team for quite some time. Problem is that it really seems to get to him a lot.

Sometimes it feels like a lot if guys here don't understand that luck (and therefore statstics) is actually a thing in sports. Today we had a lot of luck with Trocheks and Shneiders goals. You can forget about winning unless the puck bounces your way a few times instead of against you.

Reactions: CLW

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
They absolutely thought it was a great comeback effort that speaks to the character of this team and we shouldn’t change a thing and hence we should keep scratching a top 10 pick who spent his last game on the 2nd line & got a point but will now be a healthy scratch 4 straight games because he got hurt
#74 does not make this team even one iota better in any facet of the game. He's a healthy scratch because guys like Carp add more to this lineup than that bust ever could or will. Despite getting an accidental assist and finally managing a shot on goal....and also despite your drooling over GDT threads from multiple years ago.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
#74 does not make this team even one iota better in any facet of the game. He's a healthy scratch because guys like Carp add more to this lineup than that bust ever could or will. Despite getting an accidental assist and finally managing a shot on goal....and also despite your drooling over GDT threads from multiple years ago.
Ever will? Cmon man saying that he never will be a better player than Carp is just as insane as he comparing him to Gretzky. And "accidental assist" lmao you need to rewatch that play, it was ALL him. Everyone in the GDT agreed.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Ever will? Cmon man saying that he never will be a better player than Carp is just as insane as he comparing him to Gretzky. And "accidental assist" lmao you need to rewatch that play, it was ALL him. Everyone in the GDT agreed.
yes, ever will.

He's earned that designation with his play and his actions. I'd love for him to prove that wrong, but nothing I've seen shows any indication of that happening. Buy hey....he's on the ice before anyone else, and practices shooting into an empty net....I mean, who else can do that?

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
If Kakko would have scored instead of Peterson barely making a desperation save the tone in the discussion would be completely different. There is only an inch difference between praising Kakko's infite cool (rarely seen in a young player like that) and ranting about his inability to shoot the puck quickly.

Kakko must be one of the more unlucky/snakebit players i've seen on this team for quite some time. Problem is that it really seems to get to him a lot.

Sometimes it feels like a lot if guys here don't understand that luck (and therefore statstics) is actually a thing in sports. Today we had a lot of luck with Trocheks and Shneiders goals. You can forget about winning unless the puck bounces your way a few times instead of against you.
Yes but in the context of the season (or even just in the context of that period where he did something similar shortly after if I remember correctly) it's hard not to feel like he's overthinking instead of being patient.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I did not think it was all luck. Trocheck's goal was.

The others, I thought all had actual intent behind them to make plays where goals could be scored.

I was half expecting Kreider to try to pass the puck back, I think the goalie played it poorly, yet he still shot the puck. Schneider took a shot and I think there were maybe two screens there? If that was intentional, that is not really luck. Kakko as has been said, he was in a prime scoring area.

They created their own luck? Or maybe they generated plays where the probability of the puck going into the net was increased?

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
It was good to see this team get a little bit of luck going their way. Schneider's goal had a bit of luck, but that's the type of chance you try to manufacture because they tend to go in if you do it enough times. Trocheck's goal was all luck. Kakko's goal was the type of fortunate bounce we haven't been seeing. In other games, Kakko would have been turned the wrong way or had his stick tied up.

Clutch & grab defense from Kings with nothing called gave me 2014 flashbacks.

Really satisfying win after a terrible 1st. Now let’s put a streak together please.

The biggest problem with "game management" is that if you commit enough minor infractions regularly, it gets harder to call anything. The refs don't want to be seen as controlling the game, so they have to let a few penalties go uncalled. Then each little hook and hold gets harder to call because it's just like the last one they let go. Some teams, like the Kings and Pens, have figured this out and use it to their advantage.

But did we win the xGF?

Depends on who you ask. Valiquette says yes. Money Puck says yes but it was close. Natural Stat Trick says no and it was not close. None of the models are perfect.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
if Kravtsov was playing, there wouldn't be a need to comeback.
Kravtsov more like come back amirite

It was good to see this team get a little bit of luck going their way. Schneider's goal had a bit of luck, but that's the type of chance you try to manufacture because they tend to go in if you do it enough times. Trocheck's goal was all luck. Kakko's goal was the type of fortunate bounce we haven't been seeing. In other games, Kakko would have been turned the wrong way or had his stick tied up.

The biggest problem with "game management" is that if you commit enough minor infractions regularly, it gets harder to call anything. The refs don't want to be seen as controlling the game, so they have to let a few penalties go uncalled. Then each little hook and hold gets harder to call because it's just like the last one they let go. Some teams, like the Kings and Pens, have figured this out and use it to their advantage.

Depends on who you ask. Valiquette says yes. Money Puck says yes but it was close. Natural Stat Trick says no and it was not close. None of the models are perfect.
It was close on MoneyPuck because of the empty net goal. xGF was really like 3-2. On the other hand it was more/less even after the 1st period.

1669231921771.png

Also I don’t think you can really gripe much about the other team deserving to score 3 goals against you … that’s not really domination lol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad