Modern Penguins Comparisons?

member 51464

Hey all. I sometimes see comparisons of current teams to past ones (Bruins now of the Devils of the recent past jumps to mind).

Is there another team that reminds people of t he current Penguins? Most teams just win one Cup and no more since dynasties are a team of the past. But this current crop (flock?) of Penguins seems to leave everyone wanting so much more.

I am too young to know for sure, but are they at all similar to the late 80's/early 90's Flames? I always got the impression their 1 cup seemed way too little considering the relative strength of their teams.

Or am I way off base and there are no historical comparisons for the modern Pens? Thanks for your opinions!

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Other Teams

Hey all. I sometimes see comparisons of current teams to past ones (Bruins now of the Devils of the recent past jumps to mind).

Is there another team that reminds people of t he current Penguins? Most teams just win one Cup and no more since dynasties are a team of the past. But this current crop (flock?) of Penguins seems to leave everyone wanting so much more.

I am too young to know for sure, but are they at all similar to the late 80's/early 90's Flames? I always got the impression their 1 cup seemed way too little considering the relative strength of their teams.

Or am I way off base and there are no historical comparisons for the modern Pens? Thanks for your opinions!

Dick Irvin coached Leafs, 1932 - 1940, one cup.1961 to 1967 Chicago, one cup. 1970 to 1975 Rangers, no cups. Keenan coached teams, one cup. You mentioned the Flames.

tombombadil

Jan 20, 2010
West Kelowna, Canada
well, and this is a bit out there, but I think of the Orr-Espo Bruins. They won two Cups, but it's the only other team I can think of that had the best AND arguably NEXT best player in the league, PLUS a supporting cast, who didn't Dynasty it up hard.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't say the 80's Flames, since they were in a stacked division (namely the Oilers), with divisional playoffs. Can't say the same about the Pens though

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The 1999 Dallas Stars maybe? After winning the Cup, they made the Finals the following year in 2000 and lost to the Devils, then reverted to being a strong regular season team with disappointing results in the playoffs.

The Stars probably didn't have the offensive firepower of the Penguins, but they still had quite a few star players on the roster with Modano, Nieuwendyk, Hull up front and supported by the likes of Lehtinen, Langenbrunner, Keane, Carbonneau, Verbeek, etc. They had a strong blueline as well with Zubov, Sydor, Hatcher and Matvichuk as their top four.

RomersWorld*

Only 1 Cup for the Hawks with Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita... plus Pierre Pilote, Glen Hall/Tony Esposito, Dennis Hull, Pit Martin, Keith Magnuson, Pat Stapleton, ect throughout the years.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
The Wings from '91-96

2 Presidents trophies, never finished lower than 5th in the League T-2nd, 5th, 4th, 1rst, 1rst
Was top 3 in goals scored every season including leading the League twice 3rd, 1rst, 1rst, 3rd and 3rd
Had 2 first round exits, a 2nd, a 3rd and a Finals appearance where they failed to win a single game.
Or to look at it from another angle, all of 6 Playoff round wins in 5 years.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad