MMA in the Olympics - will it ever happen?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Will we ever see MMA in the Olympics? I would certainly love to see it happen. I realize the sport would have to be modified in some way in order to make a tournament format happen, with athletes competing in multiple bouts in a short period of time. It would be excellent for the sport though, and great entertainment I think.

What are some things they could do to prevent injury/fatigue and allow fighters to fight multiple times without extreme risk? Reduce to three 3-minute rounds for fights? Have athletes wear some sort of minimal protective headgear that protects fighters without making them more susceptible to chokes? Or maybe they'd have to eliminate some choke submissions? Any other thoughts/ideas?

I think a few Olympic weight classes for men and women would be awesome.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Ever hear a fighter say "I'm looking for free fights"? Me neither. And not 4 in 2 week span, either.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Ever hear a fighter say "I'm looking for free fights"? Me neither. And not 4 in 2 week span, either.

Ever hear an athlete in any sport say that? Not sure why or how that challenge is unique to MMA, or why MMA athletes would be less interested than athletes in other sports.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Amateur level perhaps?

This is about the only way I see it ever happening. Most fighters fight what, 3-4 times a year? Like jw2 alluded, I doubt we're going to see any high level fighters sacrifice a big chunk of their payday for the year to fight in the Olympics. When you're talking about the NBA/NHL in the Olympics, those athletes aren't facing any financial downfall by participating in the Olympics as they are either in the off-season or their season is worked around it. With MMA, fighters would have to take time out of their fight/training schedule in order to fight and I doubt we'd see many fighters willing to do that on top of the risk of being injured and losing even more potential earnings.

Besides, I really don't see the desire to see MMA in the Olympics. For the most part, all the best fighters in the world are already in the UFC, so other than a tournament style format, which really doesn't work all that well in MMA to begin with, what's the point? Watch a watered down version of the sport? Meh.

Last edited:

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
This is about the only way I see it ever happening. Most fighters fight what, 3-4 times a year? Like jw2 alluded, I doubt we're going to see any high level fighters sacrifice a big chunk of their payday for the year to fight in the Olympics. When you're talking about the NBA/NHL in the Olympics, those athletes aren't facing any financial downfall by participating in the Olympics as they are either in the off-season or their season is worked around it. With MMA, fighters would have to take time out of their fight/training schedule in order to fight and I doubt we'd see many fighters willing to do that on top of the risk of being injured and losing even more potential earnings.

Besides, I really don't see the desire to see MMA in the Olympics. For the most part, all the best fighters in the world are already in the UFC, so other than a tournament style format, which really doesn't work all that well in MMA to begin with, what's the point? Watch a watered down version of the sport? Meh.

I hear where you're coming from, but I'm not so sure I agree 100%. I think there are tons of mid tier guys that would love the exposure that the Olympics brings about, and there are even loads of upper tier guys that are incredibly nationalistic, proud of where they come from, and would be eager to represent their country at an event as prestigious as the Olympic Games. I'm sure lots of guys would benefit from government funding for training, too.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Not gonna happen imho. MMA already has an hard time being accepted everywhere. It's still banned in certain countries and not regulated in some others. Plus there is no global MMA body that i know of (correct me if i'm wrong) and it does not really fit the traditional image of the olympics

If it does happen one day i think it will be a watered version. Like fighters will wear 10oz gloves , helmets , more strikes will be illegal etc. At that point i would rather not have it in the olympics to be honest.

BJJ and kickboxing probably have a better chance of being in it as standalone sports than MMA does.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Well if it were to ever happen, this would likely be the basis for it in terms of rules and competition format:
https://unitedworldwrestling.org/governance/regulation/pankration

Now, these are pankration rules, so no striking on the ground.

BJJ and kickboxing probably have a better chance of being in it as standalone sports than MMA does.

About as doubtful than MMA, if not more. For starters, it's simply not popular enough internationally. Secondly, the IBJJF is not on the same level as the International Judo Federation or United World Wrestling, nor are there enough organized leadership bodies at a national level. Lastly, IBJJF "drug testing" is shady AF.

I could see an argument for submission grappling, as it is a category under UWW like Pankration, but there would need to be a push from the wrestling community as a whole for that to even gain traction.

Last edited:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Are pro MMA fighters allowed to compete in Olympic events such as judo and wrestling?

As far as I know, yes. GSP toyed with the idea of competing in the Canadian qualifying tournament for London 2012.

Interesting to note, pro boxers are allowed to compete in Rio.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad