OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Maia dominates Fitch in grappling. I donno if he subs him, but he'll control the fight if it takes place on the ground. Rich Fitch or Broke Fitch.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maia is as overrated as Brock lesnar, my god.

Being the best grappler or wrestler or submission expert means very little if that's all you have.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Chael Sonnen
Ed Herman
Rick Story
Jason MacDonald
/disagree

ive seen sonnen and macdonald tap before chokes were even sunk in all the way. Ive seen fitch get choked clean for 1.5 minutes and never tap, poor comparison imo.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
also fitchs stand up is way better than maias, and fitch's isnt even that good. fitch could hold maia against the cage for 3 rounds and batter him. Maia isnt taking fitch down, not unless fitch completely slips.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
also LOL at rick story, the dude is a younger clay guida, medicore at everything but tough as nails. he doesnt belong in any conversation about jon fitch

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
i said his antics and pot smoking which have caused him 2 suspensions and a title fight/ppv headline/champion vs champion fight. of course a stoner would leave out the first part of what i said.

The first part of you talking about dana being in the business of selling fights? You said "diaz's antics and pot smoking are something anyone from the outside sees (including me) as disrespectful and such a waste of talent". I don't see what I'm missing here. I agree with Diaz skipping out on press conferences as being pretty disrespectful but I don't see how smoking pot is lumped into that or the source of the blame. He missed out on a champion vs champion fight that never would of happened anyway and then went on to headline a ppv against a former champ, take condits title shot from him, and headline an interim title fight. I don't see how his "pot smoking" is being regarded as disrespectful or wasting talent.

You can argue that he has got suspended from it, but what he tested positive for was ********. He tested positive for thc molecules in his metabolites, I really don't see how that has is enhancing his training and performance on fight night. Matt Riddle tested straight up positive for marijuana and nothing was heard until his 90 day suspension was almost already up and he was scheduled to fight again, and I think same thing is happening right now with Jake Shields, but when it comes to diaz its a year suspension and I won't be surprised if he has a lot of trouble trying to get reinstated. Meanwhile overeem gets popped for elevated levels of testerone and gets 9 months and won't have any problem getting reinstated and is already being promoted for an upcoming fight. I think it's pretty brutal how Nick is being made an example of with all of this, the nsac is a pretty big joke

Nate is a carbon copy of Nick, I don't see how his antics or pot smoking have hurt him in any way. The difference is he knows he needs to play the game and show up to press stuff, which Nick has a hard time doing but I don't see how any of that can be blamed on a plant, imo

;)

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
maia can definitely sub fitch, but will he? It'll be tough as fitch's sub defense is as good as it gets but maia has looked great at 170 and has shown a phsyical advantage on stun gun (although he got injured so maybe that had more to do with it) and story. Both those guys are big welter weights but they still are not fitch. I see fitch getting a decision as maia is pretty durable himself but I see this being an entertaining match and am looking forward to it

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
The first part of you talking about dana being in the business of selling fights? You said "diaz's antics and pot smoking are something anyone from the outside sees (including me) as disrespectful and such a waste of talent". I don't see what I'm missing here. I agree with Diaz skipping out on press conferences as being pretty disrespectful but I don't see how smoking pot is lumped into that or the source of the blame. He missed out on a champion vs champion fight that never would of happened anyway and then went on to headline a ppv against a former champ, take condits title shot from him, and headline an interim title fight. I don't see how his "pot smoking" is being regarded as disrespectful or wasting talent.

You can argue that he has got suspended from it, but what he tested positive for was ********. He tested positive for thc molecules in his metabolites, I really don't see how that has is enhancing his training and performance on fight night. Matt Riddle tested straight up positive for marijuana and nothing was heard until his 90 day suspension was almost already up and he was scheduled to fight again, and I think same thing is happening right now with Jake Shields, but when it comes to diaz its a year suspension and I won't be surprised if he has a lot of trouble trying to get reinstated. Meanwhile overeem gets popped for elevated levels of testerone and gets 9 months and won't have any problem getting reinstated and is already being promoted for an upcoming fight. I think it's pretty brutal how Nick is being made an example of with all of this, the nsac is a pretty big joke

Nate is a carbon copy of Nick, I don't see how his antics or pot smoking have hurt him in any way. The difference is he knows he needs to play the game and show up to press stuff, which Nick has a hard time doing but I don't see how any of that can be blamed on a plant, imo

;)

weither it is performance enhancing or not doesnt change the fact that it is deemed illegal by the athletic commissions. Overeem is just as disrespectul in my opinion for failing a drug test as well. I love watching both of them fight, but if i bought tickets to an event they were on and then had them pull out because of HGH/weed or whatever the hell they arent allowed to have i would be pissed. the rules arent made up as they go along, the fighters clearly know what they are and they choose to ignore them. It is disrespectful to the sport and the fans who pay to see them. because of nick diaz getting high and skipping press conferences we missed out on GSP/Diaz. we were supposed to get to see JDS vs Overeem, instead we have to watch JDS one punch cain again. your feeling on weither it is right or wrong to suspend for smoking weed doesnt change the fact it is still illegal in the eyes of the commission.

I agree that Nate has no problem skirting the system, never missed a fight, never missed an appearance.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
Chael Sonnen
Ed Herman
Rick Story
Jason MacDonald
/disagree

2 of those guys are extremely susceptible to being choked out. Both Herman and Sonnen. Herman has a tendancy to stick his head out when he shoots on takedowns, and Sonnen has ALWAYS posted his arms when he's on the ground. It's why he's been subbed by triangle as many times as he has been

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Rory absolutely destroys Penn tonight. Should've finished him twice, not sure what he was waiting for? Ah well, I'll take the W.

http://hosteddb.fightmetric.com/fights/index/4120

Strikes were 116-24 in favour of Rory. I was a little disappointed in Rorys showboating but I guess a young guy is prone to that now and again. He called out Condit at the end of the fight. Not sure Carlos can turn him down and save face.

Henderson beats on Diaz as well. Nate isn't even close to taking the title. I'm not sure anyone is to be honest. Henderson looks unstoppable right now.

Shogun had his moments with Gustafson... But not enough of them. JBJ looks safe for awhile at Light Heavy. This was really the only competitive fight tonight.

The only absolutes tonight are that BJ is done (was taken to the hospital after the fight), Shogun is a gatekeeper for the LHW division and Henderson will be champ at LW for a looongggg time (sorry Pettis fans). Rory is a top 5 WW but not ready to dethrone GSP anytime soon, Gustafsson looks good but not a threat to Bones Jones and Diaz will be stuck at #2 or #3 in the LW division for the foreseeable future.

Thorulf

May 17, 2010
Uppsala
Was up to see Gustavsson take his most important victory so far. Jones will be a hard nut to crack, but right now he seams to be the only one to be able to having a chance to do it. Go Alexander!

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Gustafsson said he wants another fight before Jones, would Rashad Evans make sense?

I like Gustafsson, but I'm not so sure he's ready for Jones quite yet.

Grod

The New Era Lives On
Feb 10, 2010
Edmonton
Gustafsson said he wants another fight before Jones, would Rashad Evans make sense?

I like Gustafsson, but I'm not so sure he's ready for Jones quite yet.

I would say that or Machida makes sense. Of course he could always fight Davis again. Davis did make quick work of him in the first round if some are so quick to forget.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Rory absolutely destroys Penn tonight. Should've finished him twice, not sure what he was waiting for? Ah well, I'll take the W.

Strikes were 116-24 in favour of Rory. I was a little disappointed in Rorys showboating but I guess a young guy is prone to that now and again. He called out Condit at the end of the fight. Not sure Carlos can turn him down and save face.

Henderson beats on Diaz as well. Nate isn't even close to taking the title. I'm not sure anyone is to be honest. Henderson looks unstoppable right now.

Shogun had his moments with Gustafson... But not enough of them. JBJ looks safe for awhile at Light Heavy. This was really the only competitive fight tonight.

The only absolutes tonight are that BJ is done (was taken to the hospital after the fight), Shogun is a gatekeeper for the LHW division and Henderson will be champ at LW for a looongggg time (sorry Pettis fans). Rory is a top 5 WW but not ready to dethrone GSP anytime soon, Gustafsson looks good but not a threat to Bones Jones and Diaz will be stuck at #2 or #3 in the LW division for the foreseeable future.

He will never dethrone GSP as they will never fight each other. Only way Rory can become WW champ is if GSP loses to someone else and Rory beats the next champ.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
He will never dethrone GSP as they will never fight each other. Only way Rory can become WW champ is if GSP loses to someone else and Rory beats the next champ.

I was just basing it on skill level. I know he said he'd never fight GSP.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

I watched the presser last night after the fights, and even though Rory said he didn't want to fight GSP, he made some comments basically saying that if that was the fight Dana offered him, and it was for a belt, he'd probably take it.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I watched the presser last night after the fights, and even though Rory said he didn't want to fight GSP, he made some comments basically saying that if that was the fight Dana offered him, and it was for a belt, he'd probably take it.

There's a rumor/theory/thought out there that after Diaz, GSP will move to middleweight, fight Silva, then possibly retire.

IMO, that scenario is highly unlikely but it would leave Rory an opportunity to fight for the title without having to fight GSP.

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

I'm not a big fan of the showboating either, but I think he's trying to up the showmanship to get a little more attention. Not unlike a Diaz performance that everyone loves so much. It just doesn't seem to fit with his personality.

As for not finishing BJ when he had the chance, I think he could have tried, but BJ is pretty hard to put away. I'm pretty sure he's never been knocked out clean. He could have attacked the body more and made the ref stop it though.

Henderson looked unstoppable against Diaz for sure. Nate Diaz's camp should be ashamed of themselves for sending him out with that game plan. If there was a game plan at all. They had no plan for the leg kicks, which pretty much decided the direction of the fight. Anyone who has watched him fight before could tell you that he's going to use them. Diaz didn't check them, attempt leg kick of his own or do anything to make Bendo think twice before throwing them. He was so confident that Diaz wouldn't respond, he started punching his legs with jabs. The Diaz game plan for either of them seems to be that they just need to be tough enough to take punishment and try to goad your opponent into a boxing match. That's good enough for a lot of guys, but you won't win a championship with that. That mid-fight mean mugging doesn't work if you're not in your opponents head. And it looks pretty stupid if you stick your chin out to look tough and get knocked on your ass.

I wasn't convinced that Gustafson was that good before, but he made Shogun look pretty bad. He's made some major improvements. Not ready for Bones Jones yet, but it won't be long.

BJ could still fight at 155 if he wanted, but he's not getting that title again, so should he? Probably not.

Shogun could rebound from this performance, but I'm thinking he'll be like Wanderlei Silva, and just get put in there to make exciting middle of the pack fights. Its a good thing he got the belt at least once before Jones came calling.

Rory will bide his time. Its going to work out for him too. Because he's going to develop as a fighter instead of being rushed in to the title scene too soon. The UFC has no real development plan for stars. They're just trying to get them enough hype to sell PPVs. But really, when they have young phenoms, they should be working them up the ranks methodically. That way when its their time, they really do deserve it and they'll have the experience to make it competitive.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I'm thinking that jones will be keeping that belt until he vacates to go up to HW, same deal as Overeeem. Could only make 205 through his early 20's.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not that many will care, but Tim Hague apparently wants to get back into boxing.

he 6-foot-5, 273-pound Kilkenny (4-0-1) climbed off the canvas three times Friday night before knocking out Edmonton’s previously unbeaten Nick Dragich at 1:20 of Round 3 of their featured prelim on KO Boxing’s six-bout Sudden Impact card at Shaw Conference Centre.

Immediately afterwards, Kilkenny was challenged in the ring by local former UFC star Tim Hague, who has a pair of MMA wins over the Calgary fighter.

“I would love to box Tim Hague ... or any other Edmonton heavyweight who wants to step up,” said Kilkenny.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Read mmajunkie for the first time in awhile and caught their Sunday Junkie.

Lot of people pissed off at the UFC.

People are mad that the UFC has 3 up an coming championship fights that include fighters that are coming off of loses. Not really shocking as this has been brought up, but sounds like more and more people are starting to hate White.

Then people were mad that one of those guys not only is coming off a loss, but coming off a drug suspension. Questions were asked as to why the UFC would want to promote something like that. Again I agree.

And finally someone made a good point and asked why does GSP have so much power? Not only is he fighting in MTL every fight, but he is picking who he gets to fight. One guy questioned whether it's even fair to question Diaz when he doesn't show up for the media scrums.

On the bright side and I really had no idea that this happened, but people were tipping their hat at Dana for not putting all that many fighters from TUF on the finale. Apparently fighters were warned during the show that they need to start showing that they deserved to make it. Also didn't know Mike Ricci went into MMA, have to think that nose of his is going to hurt his career:sarcasm:

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Read mmajunkie for the first time in awhile and caught their Sunday Junkie.

Lot of people pissed off at the UFC.

People are mad that the UFC has 3 up an coming championship fights that include fighters that are coming off of loses. Not really shocking as this has been brought up, but sounds like more and more people are starting to hate White.

Then people were mad that one of those guys not only is coming off a loss, but coming off a drug suspension. Questions were asked as to why the UFC would want to promote something like that. Again I agree.

And finally someone made a good point and asked why does GSP have so much power? Not only is he fighting in MTL every fight, but he is picking who he gets to fight. One guy questioned whether it's even fair to question Diaz when he doesn't show up for the media scrums.

On the bright side and I really had no idea that this happened, but people were tipping their hat at Dana for not putting all that many fighters from TUF on the finale. Apparently fighters were warned during the show that they need to start showing that they deserved to make it. Also didn't know Mike Ricci went into MMA, have to think that nose of his is going to hurt his career:sarcasm:

the issue with the title fights is it isnt just about "whos next" its also about money. One mistake the UFC made in the past was the whole Chuck vs Wanderlei issue. The fans wanted to see that fight in 2003, 2004, 2005. the ufc and pride couldnt work it out and make it happen, by the time we actually got to see the most anticipated fight of its kind they were both past prime and we didnt get the fight we really wanted.

I think this is important because as a fan i would rather watch GSP vs Diaz then GSP vs Hendricks. even though I know hendricks deserves the title shot. We dont even know how many fights diaz will have after this, if he loses another and weeds out again then the ufc may never be in a position to have this fight ever again.

As for GSP picking where he fights i dont think that happens, it is just business sense to have him fight in Montreal, the same way they always have a brazilian for the Rio cards or bisping on the UK cards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad