MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I could be wrong, but I thought Hardy only wanted to come back for one more fight. Just to scratch that itch and challenge himself after having to retire early.

Diego still wouldn't be a bad option, but if you are coming back for one more big challenge, he's not quite the name or challenge as a guy like Cowboy.

I don't really get it. The UFC can make whatever catchweight fights they want with whatever veterans they want.

I don't think they want to do it, though. They would rather build a young fighter by having them fight a legend. Although, they do do it occasionally like Shogun-Lil Nog.

I'm fine with Cowboy as well.

Honestly though, Hardy hasn't fought in 8 years so pretty much anyone will be a challenge. Maybe he can fight Herb Dean.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I could be wrong, but I thought Hardy only wanted to come back for one more fight. Just to scratch that itch and challenge himself after having to retire early.

Diego still wouldn't be a bad option, but if you are coming back for one more big challenge, he's not quite the name or challenge as a guy like Cowboy.

I don't really get it. The UFC can make whatever catchweight fights they want with whatever veterans they want.

I don't think they want to do it, though. They would rather build a young fighter by having them fight a legend. Although, they do do it occasionally like Shogun-Lil Nog.

Shogun has somehow won too much lately to be a part of the washed league Lol

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I just took a trip down memory lane and saw the Ryan Hall vs drunk guy at a pizza place video

that guy is so lucky Ryan Hall is a contender for the Wonderboy Thompson NMF strap, he could’ve woken up in need of knee surgery if Hall had any other kind of temperament

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Bellator was supposed to have their first CBS sports network card tomorrow with Paul Daley vs Derek Anderson but Daley missed weight and had to be transported. Two women I’ve never heard of now headline a card where I recognize zero names other than a young Gracie

Womp womp

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Does anyone know what's going on with Bellator in Canada? Is it still going to be on DAZN?

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Bones just dropped a legit call out of Adesanya on twitter. I know it's Jones and I know it's twitter but wow would that be a HUGE fight.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Does anyone know what's going on with Bellator in Canada? Is it still going to be on DAZN?

Yeah, it's on DAZN. I don't think many providers offer CBS Sports so it might be DAZN only now for a lot of people.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Dana White just offered a McGregor Poirier fight because of a call out on Twitter. Which call outs would you consider "legit"? Just ones made in the octagon?
How many guys has Conor called out on Twitter before that? Shit, how many times has Jones called out Stylebender, and vice versa, over the last year or so? It means so little it's not worth talking about.

The call outs I do put a little stock into are guys who don't sit on Twitter calling out everyone that's in the news like Jones and Conor do and/or when the call out makes sense. Jones calling out the MW champ after he just gave up the LHW title to move to HW doesn't really make sense. Even then though, it has to be a fight the UFC wants to do, too.

Reactions: Avs_19

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
How many guys has Conor called out on Twitter before that? Shit, how many times has Jones called out Stylebender, and vice versa, over the last year or so? It means so little it's not worth talking about.

The call outs I do put a little stock into are guys who don't sit on Twitter calling out everyone that's in the news like Jones and Conor do and/or when the call out makes sense. Jones calling out the MW champ after he just gave up the LHW title to move to HW doesn't really make sense. Even then though, it has to be a fight the UFC wants to do, too.

It's not worth talking about but that's exactly what you've been doing in the other thread. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

On what planet does Dana White, if given the choice, turn down a fight between Jones and Adesanya? Dana's going to turn that down in favor of making Cannonier vs. Izzy? Come on. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, it's probably best not to put too much stock into what's happening on twitter.

It's hard to make sense of what Jones is doing. He vacates the belt and says he's moving up. Then he hints at possibly fighting for the LHW belt after Jan wins it, which makes absolutely no sense since he just gave it up. He's also calling out Adesanya to fight at LHW with no belt on the line now. I don't think Jones actually has a plan right now and he's just trying to keep his name out there.

I'd wait on getting too excited about a Conor/Poirier rematch too. Dana says a lot of stuff and after he said both fighters have been offered the fight, Poirier came out and said he has yet to receive anything.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's not worth talking about but that's exactly what you've been doing in the other thread. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

On what planet does Dana White, if given the choice, turn down a fight between Jones and Adesanya? Dana's going to turn that down in favor of making Cannonier vs. Izzy? Come on. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
I said in what, 2 posts, the same thing I said here. That Jones-Izzy doesn't make sense right now. That's really worth multiple laughing emojis?

My comment about the UFC wanting to make a call out actually happen was more general than talking about Jones-Izzy. Conor has called out a ton of people and the UFC said, "Yeah, no." Costa just called out Izzy. You think that fight has a more than a 0% chance of happening? Jones has called out HW's for like 10 f***ing years and he still doesn't actually have a HW fight booked. For every example of call outs on Twitter that turned into actual fights you can come up with, I can probably come up with 20 that didn't happen.

Bless your heart if you think guys spouting off on Twitter to keep their name in the news is some sign of what's going to actually happen.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, it's probably best not to put too much stock into what's happening on twitter.

It's hard to make sense of what Jones is doing. He vacates the belt and says he's moving up. Then he hints at possibly fighting for the LHW belt after Jan wins it, which makes absolutely no sense since he just gave it up. He's also calling out Adesanya to fight at LHW with no belt on the line now. I don't think Jones actually has a plan right now and he's just trying to keep his name out there.

I'd wait on getting too excited about a Conor/Poirier rematch too. Dana says a lot of stuff and after he said both fighters have been offered the fight, Poirier came out and said he has yet to receive anything.
100%. And on the off chance they do end up fighting down the line, they will have all this back story to help hype the fight.

I'm not holding my breath on Conor-Poirier actually happening either. Mainly because I don't know if it is something Conor actually wants. I think he would rather just keep that win over him in their first fight than risk losing to him.

Reactions: Avs_19

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I said in what, 2 posts, the same thing I said here. That Jones-Izzy doesn't make sense right now. That's really worth multiple laughing emojis?

My comment about the UFC wanting to make a call out actually happen was more general than talking about Jones-Izzy. Conor has called out a ton of people and the UFC said, "Yeah, no." Costa just called out Izzy. You think that fight has a more than a 0% chance of happening? Jones has called out HW's for like 10 f***ing years and he still doesn't actually have a HW fight booked. For every example of call outs on Twitter that turned into actual fights you can come up with, I can probably come up with 20 that didn't happen.

Bless your heart if you think guys spouting off on Twitter to keep their name in the news is some sign of what's going to actually happen.

Now you're just moving the goalposts.

You started this by being dismissive of things happening on Twitter. I hate to break it to you but this is 2020, the majority of fight hype and fight promotion is happening on social media. Is 99% of it nonsense? Of course. But you jumping on a high horse and pretending like Jones vs. Izzy isn't worth discussing is ridiculous, especially considering you were literally talking about it in the other thread before I posted anything. So I'll keep talking about it, just like you were before me, thanks. :thumbu:

What fights do you think the UFC could put on right now that would be bigger than Adesanya vs. Jones? Khabib vs. Conor 2 and Khabib vs. GSP are the only ones I can think of.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Jones' plan is whatever will get him the most money in his next fight. Let's not forget this whole scenario with Jones retiring, vacating the belt and all the nonsense that's been going on since then started with a dispute over money in the proposed fight with Francis.

At the time Jones vacated and announced he was going to HW that was clearly the right move for him in terms of looking for money fights. Chael outlined all this on his pod. The risk/reward in staying at light heavy and having to defend against Reyes again after the way their first fight ended vs moving up to HW where there's probably 3 or 4 huge fights you could make with him right now is obvious.

Now all of a sudden with Izzy dominating his division and calling him out a new option has presented itself and he's playing around with that.

Ultimately who knows what happens. If Jones can have that fight is he really turning it down? It's not like it gets easier at HW with likely matchups against Francis or Stipe. But again, Izzy vs. Jones would be a MASSIVE fight. Anyone acting like it wouldn't be is just kidding themselves.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Now you're just moving the goalposts.

You started this by being dismissive of things happening on Twitter. I hate to break it to you but this is 2020, the majority of fight hype and fight promotion is happening on social media. Is 99% of it nonsense? Of course. But you jumping on a high horse and pretending like Jones vs. Izzy isn't worth discussing is ridiculous, especially considering you were literally talking about it in the other thread before I posted anything. So I'll keep talking about it, just like you were before me, thanks. :thumbu:

What fights do you think the UFC could put on right now that would be bigger than Adesanya vs. Jones? Khabib vs. Conor 2 and Khabib vs. GSP are the only ones I can think of.
I said call outs on Twitter aren't worth discussing and that Jones-Stylebender doesn't make sense right now. Those are 2 different statements. So who's really moving the goal posts?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jones' plan is whatever will get him the most money in his next fight. Let's not forget this whole scenario with Jones retiring, vacating the belt and all the nonsense that's been going on since then started with a dispute over money in the proposed fight with Francis.

At the time Jones vacated and announced he was going to HW that was clearly the right move for him in terms of looking for money fights. Chael outlined all this on his pod. The risk/reward in staying at light heavy and having to defend against Reyes again after the way their first fight ended vs moving up to HW where there's probably 3 or 4 huge fights you could make with him right now is obvious.

Now all of a sudden with Izzy dominating his division and calling him out a new option has presented itself and he's playing around with that.

Ultimately who knows what happens. If Jones can have that fight is he really turning it down? It's not like it gets easier at HW with likely matchups against Francis or Stipe. But again, Izzy vs. Jones would be a MASSIVE fight. Anyone acting like it wouldn't be is just kidding themselves.

Absolutely. I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
BTW HBO Real Sports' newest episode leads off with a segment on weight cutting. They followed Ramsey Nijem around during one of his cuts. It's actually painful just to watch.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really wonder what Ferguson thinks of Poirier right now. He puts off booking another fight to stand behind Poirier so they can fight, then Poirier turns around and is trying to book vs Conor.

I don't really blame Poirier, but this is why when you're in Ferguson's position you need to do what's right for yourself instead of trying to help out Poirier.

It's also a good example why a fighter union probably isn't happening anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad