MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just wanted to add to that - Ferguson needs to assess the situation better. Khabib probably will beat Gaethje, so if Ferguson goes out and wins a fight against pretty much anyone else he's next up for Khabib. So go fight and win, and tell Poirier to f*** off while you're at it.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Paul Daley is gonna fight one last bout at 175 lbs and retire, per Paul Daley

what a weird, long career

Jeremy Kennedy to bellator

John Gotti III is headlining a CES card soon. 5-0 record against some nobodies. But yes, his grandfather is the Teflon Don

Oezdemir hurt his knee, out of his fight against Krylov

Romanov got booked against vs Marcos Rogerio de Lima

Josh Barnett is doing bare knuckle in Poland or some shit

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Really wonder what Ferguson thinks of Poirier right now. He puts off booking another fight to stand behind Poirier so they can fight, then Poirier turns around and is trying to book vs Conor.

I don't really blame Poirier, but this is why when you're in Ferguson's position you need to do what's right for yourself instead of trying to help out Poirier.

It's also a good example why a fighter union probably isn't happening anytime soon.

It's another example of Tony being too "real" for his own good. I think he probably would have beat Chandler too which would have put him in a nice position for a title shot if Khabib wins.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Really wonder what Ferguson thinks of Poirier right now. He puts off booking another fight to stand behind Poirier so they can fight, then Poirier turns around and is trying to book vs Conor.

I don't really blame Poirier, but this is why when you're in Ferguson's position you need to do what's right for yourself instead of trying to help out Poirier.

It's also a good example why a fighter union probably isn't happening anytime soon.
Yeah, it would be a little disappointing from Poirier, but it's hard to blame him. I mean, he did turn down a pretty big fight against Chandler to repay Tony. Conor is just too big of an opportunity to pass up, though. It's headlining a Fight Night/co-main a PPV against Tony vs. headlining and probably selling 1M PPVs with Conor. Tony wouldn't have turned down Conor either.

It's also not a done deal yet, so who knows what happens.

Reactions: m9

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Just wanted to add to that - Ferguson needs to assess the situation better. Khabib probably will beat Gaethje, so if Ferguson goes out and wins a fight against pretty much anyone else he's next up for Khabib. So go fight and win, and tell Poirier to f*** off while you're at it.
If they actually make Conor-Poirier, they could then scrap Chandler serving as the backup to Khabib-Gaethje and do Tony-Chandler. It would still be a pretty big fight for Tony and like you said any win along with a Khabib win would put him in line for a title shot.....assuming Khabib-GSP doesn't happen and Khabib sticks to not giving Conor a rematch if Conor were to beat Poirier.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Garbrandt had to withdraw from 255. Alex Perez is now fighting for the 125 strap

Bellator signed Brett Johns, Rustam Khabilov, and Usman Nurmagomedov (Khabib’s 11-0 cousin)

They’ve been adding some talent. Johns and Khabilov aren’t high profile but they’re talented

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Mara Romero Borella, Iuri Alcantara, Jeff Hughes, and Khadis Ibragimov all got cut by the UFC

Ibragimov was a no-brainer after his last fight

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
perez deserves it more than Cody but is obviously nowhere near the draw

Fun fighter for 125 tho
Yeah admittedly I have pretty much ignored that division besides a few guys.

Just seeing that Perry vs Lawler is on that card too. That will be... interesting. :laugh:

Reactions: CDJ

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

Smart move by Maia.

If Conor turns down the Poirier fight, which was basically his idea in the first place, I don't even know where he goes from here. Probably boxing matches for him the rest of his career.

Dana's "surprise" for Khabib was so vague who even knows what he's talking about. Maybe they put on his 30th fight in Russia?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Wonderboy vs. Chimaev has been the rumoured main event for a week or so but then Wonderboy came out and said he wants Edwards and he's not fighting Chimaev. Now today Wetzel says that's the fight but there's still no confirmation.

The other name that has been brought up is Magny. I'd be fine with either one of them because they're both a step up in competition.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Looks like they are targeting Brandon Royval to step in against Brandon Moreno at 255. That’s gonna be a fun fight

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Chimaev/Magny and Edwards/Thompson are the exact fights to make.
What are they doing with Edwards? Nobody wants to fight him because he's a tough fight and not a big name. But you have Wonderboy wanting to fight him and the UFC is saying "No, fight this unranked guy." I know the rankings are BS, but...

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What are they doing with Edwards? Nobody wants to fight him because he's a tough fight and not a big name. But you have Wonderboy wanting to fight him and the UFC is saying "No, fight this unranked guy." I know the rankings are BS, but...

Does Edwards want it?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think Magny could oddly enough be a major problem for Chimaev

Dynamite cardio, great takedown defense, high volume, very technical, been in there with the elite...I bet Magny would come in as a big dog and if so I would bet on him

Yeah, I don't see them letting Chimaev fight Magny. They will protect their money and feed him someone beatable. I'm still not buying the hype with that guy, but they will let him ride the lightning for a while to make the UFC some money. Then he will get crushed by anyone in the top 5. They already derailed O'Malley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad