OT: MLSE to Acquire the Argos

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
didn't they already own the Argos?

No.

Bell + Tanenbaum owned the team. Rogers (37.5% of MLSE) refused to go along with the purchase.

I wonder what changed their minds. It's obvious that, for efficiencies sake, the Argos should be folded into the larger MLSE structure but at the same time... Bell owns exclusive CFL TV rights and Rogers has never been supportive of the league because of that.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I just assumed they were owned by the MLSE, how will this help the argos? is there a salary cap in the CFL? can they spend more on talent?. Anyway good for the argos and their fans I guess

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Not going to make a difference - still the same team, same city and the same league, NFL is a different story

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
This should have been done years ago.

One rumour floating around is Rogers wants a part of the CFL TV rights which are fully under Bell (TSN/RDS).

With expansion to Halifax possibly happening, there will be 5 games a week and more content to go around.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
What will be the effects on MLSE and on the Argos? Is the CFL a profitable league? Are the Argos profitable?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Apparently not.

Wonder if they’ll buy the Jays next. Then all that’s left is the Rock.

I heard the Ontario Teacher's Pension wants the Jays (God help them if that's true).

No.

Bell + Tanenbaum owned the team. Rogers (37.5% of MLSE) refused to go along with the purchase.

I wonder what changed their minds. It's obvious that, for efficiencies sake, the Argos should be folded into the larger MLSE structure but at the same time... Bell owns exclusive CFL TV rights and Rogers has never been supportive of the league because of that.

thanks.
Probably popularity?

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Would it make sense for Rogers to sell the Jays to MLSE?
Well they'd have to only sell a part of it as they are owners of MLSE as well. They'd have to split TV rights with Bell. I don't know if they want to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad