MLD11 Sir Montagu Allan Semifinal: Belleville Bulls (2) vs. Jokerit Helsinki (3)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Belleville Bulls

coaches: Tom Johnson, Punch McLean

Jimmy Gardner (A) - Tom Lysiak - Rick Kehoe
Haviland Routh - Viktor Zhluktov - Boris Mayorov (A)
Don Grosso - Brian Skrudland - Jack Findlay
Murph Chamberlain - Laurie Boschman - Paul Holmgren
Lasse Oskanen

Dickie Boon (C) - Yuri Fedorov
Allan Cameron - Dmitri Yushkevich
Lee Fogolin Sr. - Willie Huber
Pavel Kubina

Viktor Konovalenko
Vladimir Myshkin

vs.

Jokerit Helsinki

coach: Frank Patrick

Steve Vickers - Dan Bain (C) - Carson Cooper
Gerard Gallant - Ray Ferraro - Cliff Koroll
Lorne Henning- Clarence McKerrow (A) - Leo Labine
Butch Keeling - Saku Koivu - Bruce Ridpath
Frank Rankin, Skene Ronan

Zinetula Bilyaletdinov - Vasili Pervukhin
Clem Loughlin (A) - Jack Campbell
Sergei Babinov - Howard McNamara
Allan Shields

Tom Paton
Pete Peeters​

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
expecting a helluva series!

bel_1631.gif

vs.

jokerit_medium.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
To begin...

FACTS:

Bulls have regular season MVP Konovalenko, 1st team all-star Boon and 2nd team all-star Skrudland along with all-star game participant Findlay.

Jokerit have 1st team all-star Bain with both Bilyaletdinov and Pervukhin having made the all-star game along with extra skater Ronan.

ANALYSIS:

How these stars impact the series:

1. Belleville has an obvious edge in net but Helsinki's goaltending is underrated.
2. Boon is negated as a difference by the Soviet duo.
3. It's admitted that the Bulls third line ought to be effective at equal strength in limiting Jokerit's top line.
4. Ronan is an X-factor, as the extra skater was a star dman who switched to center and led the NHA in scoring in 1911-12 over the likes of Didier Pitre, Ernie Russell and Joe Malone with an incredible 38 goals in 18 games. He went on to three other top-10 season finishes in goals and a Stanley Cup. Expect to see him dress for a few games this series.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Helsinki internal memo to co-GM:

Yeah, eagleb, we're in trouble in this series as I think the Bulls are in parts friggin' awesome. I mean, that chaos guy went and drafted 12 guys I have either drafted before or wanted to draft. The line-up is largely something I'd have put together! (except for that top line, with Gardner a question mark for top line duty and playing with a couple of MPWRWTS. What a phoney line!) Anyways, you're gonna have to be critical of his second and third line because I can't. Routh-Zhluktov-Mayorov is hands down the best second line in this draft imo, though we have a rock and roll second line - oh yeah!! So, I'll show the weakness of his top line and our advantage on the back line, you tackle the goaltending comparison to narrow the gap and how about special teams? We can each tackle the blueline. I'll show how Fedorov on his top pairing ain't even as good as our third pairing Babinov. We have five elite level dmen and two defensive dmen, he has Boon and Cameron, an above average Soviet and three defensive defensemen. We have a clear advantage there. Let's get to it bud. We have some bulls to slay! oleh!

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Willie Huber is far from a defensive defenseman....two-way guy if anything.

As far as I'm concerned, the two best teams in our division. I'll comment more on this series later on.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Alrighty..obviously an excellent team you two have assembled as we all expected. Aren't too many weak points but let's see what I can uncover.

First Line: Dan Bain is probably the best center of the draft. A great offensive catalyst to have. He is one tough son of a ***** that can pretty much do it all offensively. Haven't read really anything on his two-way game but i've read about his toughness and that alone adds another part of the game he can use to his advantage. He will be setting up Carson Cooper. Probably one of the better scorers in the draft. I had him in my AAA draft, and got quite a bit of praise for him. Mr. Shovel Shot will make a great winger for Bain due to his sniping ability. On the other side, Steve Vickers is another solid goal scorer who can play a two-way game. I kinda liken him to a LW version of Tom Lysiak. I know you may not like that comment, but from me it's a compliment. A very strong first line that can pretty much do it all.

2nd Line: Not that impressed with this line. It's okay...but...it really isn't a strength for you guys. And we are confident enough to have this line not go against our 3rd line shutdown line. I like Gallant's all-around game but offensively, he isn't that special. I think he's more of a poor man's Lysiak. Brings the all-around game but wasn't as consistent offensively as Lysiak. That's not a bad thing to have...but I just don't see this line as a dangerous line. Ferraro was taken way too early for my liking. But I do see what you were going for. Decent goal-scorer that brings alot of intangibles to his game. Cliff Koroll, for me, doesn't belong on a 2nd line...I think he looks much better on a two-way 3rd line. I just don't see his offensive skills working out on the 2nd line. But again a solid defensive forward, with decent offensive skills and an aggresive style completes a..well everything line. But offensively, this line doesn't scare me at all. It's tough, solid defensively but really has no one that I think is a weapon offensively.

3rd Line: Ehh..I love the McKerrow pick. Big fan of him. Problem is...we don't know alot about him. We don't know how good defensively he is...or how physical he was. Well..atleast I haven't read anything (maybe you can share some stuff you've read). All I've read was he worked hard at checking..so I guess I assume he was solid defensively..and obviously he was a good scorer as well. So I'll let him pass...just wish we knew more about the pre-1900's guys..definitely liking your two-way wingers to go with him. Overall, a very good 3rd line that won't be easy to play against..

4th Line: I like it. The determined Koivu with some offensive potential, and a great winger in Ridpath to go with him. Keeling..is a little scary for me...he has some scary credentials offensively so depending on how they are used..they could be your second best scoring line.

1st Pair:...do I really have to say anything?

2nd Pair: Great job with Loughlin and Campbell. The tower of power and the rushing Campbell will bring a solid two-way game for your team.

3rd Pair: Your comment about Babinov being better than Fedorov...well I almost laughed. But I'd like to see some info on him cause I can't find much at all. McNamara is alright..he won't hurt you..don't think he will bring a ton for you though in this series.

Goaltending: I'm only going to comment on Paton. I'm not going to lie...I've gone on record and said he's a top-5 goalie in this draft...that opinion is starting to change a bit...and I'm moving him around 6 or 7 now..his level of competition was kinda weak and I mean...what goalies are we comparing him too? Guys who never have been picked..I don't know..his accomplishments are impressive though. Either way, he's no where near Konovalenko in my opinion and you can do all the arguing you want about it.

Coaching: Patrick has a great hockey mind...but I wonder about his accomplishments. They're aren't a ton and unlike Tom Johnson...he doesn't have an assistant that can help him out. Should be interesting to see how he does going up against some very good coaching and a very solid team.

That's about all I can do for now..great team as always. But I think you have some holes we can attack. We will put up our shutdown line (which we believe is the best in the draft) against your 1st line..we also have a great set of defenseman who can handle any line you throw out there. Great skating defenseman with very good defensive abilities...they aren't easy to get by. And even if you do..have fun with Mr. MVP.

Good luck boys.

* Oh and our first line and second line have been switched..and have been like that even before the regular season voting..so I don't know why they still look like that. We will still use the Lysiak line quite a bit though..and we will explain why later.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
...Steve Vickers is another solid goal scorer who can play a two-way game. I kinda liken him to a LW version of Tom Lysiak. I know you may not like that comment, but from me it's a compliment.... I like Gallant's all-around game but offensively, he isn't that special. I think he's more of a poor man's Lysiak. Brings the all-around game but wasn't as consistent offensively as Lysiak... Oh and our first line and second line have been switched..and have been like that even before the regular season voting..so I don't know why they still look like that. We will still use the Lysiak line quite a bit though
:laugh: I'll find time tomorrow to talk indepth about Lysiak (I'm at work now, noon here).

..I love the McKerrow pick. Big fan of him. Problem is...we don't know alot about him. We don't know how good defensively he is...or how physical he was. Well..atleast I haven't read anything (maybe you can share some stuff you've read). All I've read was he worked hard at checking..so I guess I assume he was solid defensively..and obviously he was a good scorer as well.
He has two retroSelkes, for what it's worth. (eaglebelfour has THREE university exams this week, so his time is limited, unfortunately)

2nd Pair: Great job with Loughlin and Campbell. The tower of power and the rushing Campbell will bring a solid two-way game for your team.
This would be a competitive advantage in most series but you've got a solid second pairing I personally think as good, though less accomplished and with less individual awards.

3rd Pair: Your comment about Babinov being better than Fedorov...well I almost laughed. But I'd like to see some info on him cause I can't find much at all.
You have been reading internal memos of Jokerit? Are you tapping our phones like Nixon too, eh? ;)

Goaltending: I'm only going to comment on Paton. I'm not going to lie...I've gone on record and said he's a top-5 goalie in this draft...that opinion is starting to change a bit...and I'm moving him around 6 or 7 now..
How convenient your timing is!

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
:laugh: I'll find time tomorrow to talk indepth about Lysiak (I'm at work now, noon here).
Can't wait..talk all you want..he's a complete player. He does more than bring offense to the table.

He has two retroSelkes, for what it's worth. (eaglebelfour has THREE university exams this week, so his time is limited, unfortunately)
Solid..I just wish there was more. I'm not hating on him..cause it's similar with me for a few of my players.

This would be a competitive advantage in most series but you've got a solid second pairing I personally think as good, though less accomplished and with less individual awards.
Agreed..we think we are solid as can be 1 to 6. All of our guys can skate...know how to play D and have the ability to move the puck. Along with guys like Cameron, Boon, etc..who can definitely put points up.

You have been reading internal memos of Jokerit? Are you tapping our phones like Nixon too, eh? ;)
I have my ways..

How convenient your timing is!
Actually..this was before your 1st round matchup that I kinda changed my mind bit. Either way he certainly wont hurt you..and either way he's far away from Konovalenko.

Pucker up boys cause your kissing something at the end of this series.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
I JUST receive my 3 book collection of the Trail of the Stanley Cup today! (And they are in mint condition, I could sell the double the price I got them today if I wanted to!) If I've got some time tomorrow, I'll try to find some quotes on the players in this series.

Clarence McKerrow, even with winning two retroactive-Selke and being praise as great defensive forward, finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd in goalscoring from 1896 to 1899 in the AHA, the best league in the world at that time. I never tought McKerrow was that dominant offensively.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I JUST receive my 3 book collection of the Trail of the Stanley Cup today! (And they are in mint condition, I could sell the double the price I got them today if I wanted to!) If I've got some time tomorrow, I'll try to find some quotes on the players in this series.

Clarence McKerrow, even with winning two retroactive-Selke and being praise as great defensive forward, finished 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd in goalscoring from 1896 to 1899 in the AHA, the best league in the world at that time. I never tought McKerrow was that dominant offensively.
Solid with Clare. Sounds alot like Findlay..I think Findlay was a bit better defensively and McKerrow better offensively. I'll have more tomorrow night guys..I work 11 AM till 8 PM but uh afterwards..I should have a bit. Looking forward to a great series.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Wow, I have to admit, after having read McKerrow's bio again, and checked out his scoring stats, I like him a lot. Sounds like a Syl Apps-type player to me.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
K..so this is more about my team.

First Line: Hmm..kinda a jello-gelly line..idk..it's early..so I don't make sense...BUT! Haviland Routh was a speedy sniper who led the AHA in scoring twice and one retro-MVP twice in that same league. He clearly has the ability to be a go-to-guy on the wing with his shiftyness and his ability to find the back of the net. Viktor Zhluktov was a beast of a center. A guy who was described as a "battering-ram forward." In other words, Zhluktov used his size and speed to fight his way around the net and jam pucks in. Seems like a perfect center for Routh no? Mayorov is a feisty right-winger who used his aggresive style and his passion for the game to earn 3 USSR League All-Star births along with many other accolades. This line is one to watch....and the one we expect the McKerrow line to be matched up against. That's fine...we will be glad to..we feel the size and speed of this line can cause any line in this draft problems. INCLUDING this one.

Second Line: This line is taking some heat...and it's about time I end it. First off..right now..I will defend Tom Lysiak. He is not a first line center..I made the mistake of drafting him as one..but I didn't just draft him for offense. If I did..I'd be taking even more heat. Yes, Lysiak doesn't have the greatest finishes among his peers...but he did reach 30 goals 6 times and 80 points several times aswell. People can say what they want, but he was consistently a PPG player...oh ya...and with what linemates? See, that's the thing...all this **** about his totals against his peers but they forget to look at his linemates. They were garbage..the other thing about Lysiak..is that even if he doesn't bring great offense..he still brings a very good two-way game and alot of physicality. You can doubt his offense all you want...but you cannot doubt his all-around game. Who does he have on his wings? Rick Kehoe was a solid NHL'er for his entire career. He's the other guy taking some heat..but let me clarify..he's here cause of his style of play. He's a very fast winger with a great shot..something we wanted the all-around Lysiak to compliment. We think even if people want to doubt both players...they can't doubt that their styles of play will compliment eachother very well. On the other wing, is the guy VanIslander said was ATD worthy..Jimmy Gardner. A guy who was not only a tremendous leader, but a fantastic goal scorer as well. He was noted as a talented winger and a star..and the best part is..he played with Dickie Boon. Hence instant chemistry for the powerplay. Look, you guys won't doubt Gardner...and you can doubt the other two all you want..but we will gladly match this line up against any of your lines and we will feel comfortable. This line has it all...physicality....defensive responsibility....slick scorers.....speedy scorers.....and hard-nosed scoring ability. It's all there..and it's coming for you Jokerit.

3rd Line: As far as I'm concerned..this is the best in the draft..but if it isn't it certainly is one of the best 3rd lines. Brian Skrudland is probably the best defensive player in the draft..and did have a few 40 point seasons. Don Grosso will bring great two-way play to the table. Grosso had 4 great offensive postseasons (28 points in 34 games) and also had some very solid regular season statistics. Along with that, he was described as a money player that was excellent in both ends of the ice. Finally, Jack Findlay completes this line. Findlay, finished top-10 in scoring 4 times (3rd, 4th, 4th, 7th) and was awarded the retro-selke 3 times by Ultimate Hockey. Seventies had gone on record saying he was probably the best defensive player of his time. Along with this, Findlay was recognized as the best penalty killer of his time. Clearly, a great player to have on a 3rd line. One who can compliment you offensively and defensively. They will be matched up against the powerful 1st line for Jokerit...but it seems even VanI admits they should do well against them...

4th Line: The everything line...a bit of scoring...size...toughness...two-way player...this line has it all. And in bunches. Won't say much more..they will be an effective energy line when we need them..

First Pairing: Dickie Boon was a tremendous defenseman. He had tremendous speed, incredible hand-eye coordination and excellent hockey-sense. He was one of the best puckrushers of his time. But..he isn't all offense. In fact, according to many sources, Boon used the poke-check to great effect, and many of his peers said Dickie was the hardest defenseman to get around one-on-one. Yuri Fedorov on the other hand, was one of the finest soviet blueliners of the 1970's. He was an exceptional skater noted as a two-way defenseman. He was very reliable in his own end and had an undeniable scoring touch in the offensive end. This pairing brings hockey sense, two-way ability and oh ya....UNFREAKING REAL SKATING!

Second Pairing: Allan Cameron was an exceptional puckrusher in his time. In fact, Hockey Notes refers to Cameron as, "The most complete player of the 1880's." His two-way game was the talk of that time in the hockey world. In fact, many thought Cameron was the best defenseman in his own end in the entire AHA! Combine that with being a fantastic puckrusher and you have simply....a mobile two-way defenseman that will not be easy to handle. His partner is a guy very well respected in the ATD world...Dmitri Yushkevich. Yushkevich was nicknamed "The Russian Tank" for his shutdown ability along with his physical and aggresive style. He will not be fun to play against..I think he could be a key factor if matched up against any of your top-6.

Third Pairing: Lee Fogolin Sr. was a hard-hitting, rugged defenseman that played a stay-at-home game while being able to move the puck up the ice very effectively. He will once again compliment our two-way defense core. Who's our 6th defenseman? Willie Huber. A guy who is massive..but really doesn't love to use his size. He's more known for his solid two-way play and great skating ability. Assets which will complete our fantastic top-6.

Goaltending: One of the best goalies in the draft...and MVP of the draft....Viktor Konovalenko. Yea...do I have to say more? Meh..I will...at one time he was the best soviet goaltender of all-time. Some experts still believe he is the best...yes...including Tretiak. I don't agree, but I do think Konovalenko is one hell of a game changer in a format like this and will be one heck of a goaltender to try and beat. What's worse for Jokerit's offense? Our defenseman are all great in their own end and will provide an extra shell to Konovalenko's fantastic goaltending ability.

Coaching: Tom Johnson didn't coach for long..but for the time he did...his teams dominated. A cup-winner and two fantastic seasons...he knows how to win. He's paired up with assistant Ernie McLean. Punch knew how to deliver in his time as a coach...his experience and knowledge of the game will make up for Johnson's shortcomings in those aspects. Classic case of good cop and bad cop....greatest thing of them all....for the Bulls...it's all good with coaching.

Good luck this series Jokerit..should be a great one.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
On the other wing, is the guy VanIslander said was ATD worthy..Jimmy Gardner. A guy who was not only a tremendous leader, but a fantastic goal scorer as well. He was noted as a talented winger and a star..

I wouldn't say he was a fantastic goalscorer. I went over his whole career and his best points finishes (in what were essentially half-leagues, mind you) were a 9th in the 1909 ECHA, and a 14th in the 1914 NHA. Other than that, he was always buried down the list of scorers. His value was as a leader, a physical glue guy of an early dynasty. Don't sell him as what he's not.

Coaching: Tom Johnson didn't coach for long..but for the time he did...his teams dominated. A cup-winner and two fantastic seasons...he knows how to win. He's paired up with assistant Ernie McLean. Punch knew how to deliver in his time as a coach...his experience and knowledge of the game will make up for Johnson's shortcomings in those aspects. Classic case of good cop and bad cop....greatest thing of them all....for the Bulls...it's all good with coaching.

Still not sure what Johnson ever did to be an MLD-worthy coach. He's a one-time cup winner with Bobby Orr on his team. He coached two full seasons. The best anecdote I have about his coaching, is that no one, including him, really coached the Bruins in that 1968-1972 period.

Why is he such a great coach when Marc Crawford and Bob Hartley are considered marginal? They both won a cup with a stacked team. They both had at least one more great regular season. They also had 5-7 years of other coaching experience in junior and the minors. Anecdotal evidence doesn't really speak highly of them in relation to the likes of Hitchcock, Lemaire, Babcock, and other greats from their time. It sounds like they are Tom Johnson, plus about 8 more seasons each of NHL coaching, plus 5-7 more years of coaching.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
For the record,

Sergei Babinov played in 162 international games (13th all time) for the Soviets from 1975-84.
Yuri Fedorov played just 38 international games for the Soviets between 1974-79.

They are almost exact contemporaries but Babinov played twice as long on the national team, making the top-6 USSR national team several times when Yuri didn't.

Babinov scored 18 goals in international tourneys for the Soviets, 15th all-time among blueliners; Fedorov scored 4.

I have always been puzzled by the Yuri Fedorov pick in past minor league drafts. I think it was a mistake that was just repeated in future drafts by those looking at past drafts. I really wish someone who drafts him could show why he is a good pick. I just don't get it.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
chaosrevolver, I wish we had our series on a weekend instead of in the middle of a workweek.

Let me say once again at how impressed I am with so many of your picks, even if we disagree about some picks and the line-up as it was set.

Haviland Routh - Viktor Zhluktov - Boris Mayorov
Jimmy Gardner (A)
Don Grosso - Brian Skrudland - Jack Findlay

Dickie Boon
Allan Cameron - Dmitri Yushkevich
Lee Fogolin Sr.

Viktor Konovalenko
Vladimir Myshkin
:handclap:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think there are many players like that (past MLD mistakes repeated by canon)

Every MLD and AAA, I see this getting corrected a bit more and more. There's a guy who was on a top pairing in MLD9, was a spare in MLD10, and is still available now.

We need to talk about these picks. Applaud the good ones, and point out why the mediocre ones are mediocre.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The Assassination of Tom Lysiak

'L' is for lazy. He was booed by Atlanta fans for his inconsistent play in the early years. He never lived up to his potential as a junior star.

He never was top-10 in anything at the NHL level. Never top-10 assists, never top-10 goals, never top-10 points.

He never won an individual award.

He never won the cup.

He was the top scorer for the expansion Atlanta Flames, representing the lousy team three times in the all star game. The team was good enough to make the playoffs four times, bounced every time in the first round.

That said, he had offensive talent and would be a 'not bad' first line center of an AAA level all-time team.

History will forget him.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
...and with that, Lysiak will probably drop to the AAA draft or perhaps a MLD 4th line next time around.

Not sure if you noticed, but in my assassinations I noted that I can't see what separates Mike Ridley from Tom Lysiak. Scoring levels had dropped somewhat by the time Ridley was in his prime, so his 65-75 point seasons don't look as great on the surface, but adjusted for scoring levels they have almost identical regular season offensive careers. I think Ridley had a much better two-way game, and he has better playoff numbers.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think Ridley had a much better two-way game, and he has better playoff numbers.
Ridley was a fourth liner in the MLD and that's because he was a top penalty killer. He was paired with Selke finalist Miller in real life and in the MLD. He is like a second line pivot in the AAA draft.

There are better undrafted centers yet to come, in terms of peak, career, championships, accomplishments, awards, importance to a team and to a league, etc.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Suprised the series didn"t go to 6 or 7 games. Oh well; both teams were deserving to win at any rate, Congrats Helsinki..I'll see you in the next round;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad