MLD Interest thread

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
As the final round of the ATD playoffs approach, how many people are interested in participating in the MLD this year?

I don't plan to run it again after my partial disappearing act but I'll be around to participate again

ResilientBeast - Atlanta Thrashers
VanIslander - Kelowna Packers
seventieslord - Regina Capitals
tony d - Chicago Wolves
Hedberg - TBA
Hobnobs - Rogle BK

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
VanIslander - Kelowna Packers

The 1958 Packers were the first Canadian hockey team to tour the Soviet Union after losing a close hard-fought 7-game Allan Cup series defeat.

hqdefault.jpg

The Packers played five Soviet teams losing their first game against Central Red Army, before posting two wins and two ties over the final four games to win the tournament.

Roche says the experience was a real eye opener as to what hockey in Russia was all about and a prelude to the 1972 Canada-Russia Summit Series.

"I almost contacted Phil Esposito to explain to them that these guys would be tough. Gene Carr who played for the Rangers at the time was going around saying they would go down in four straight and I said Gene, you're going to get your eyes opened. They just wouldn't believe us."

Russ Kowalchuk, another forward on the 58 squad, says the Packers didn't seem to have the puck that often during the first game against the Red Army.

"We thought they had more guys on the ice than five or six, because they always seemed to have their stick between your legs and they always had the puck," says Kowalchuk. "We were playing chase it seemed."

He says once they starting playing the Canadian style of hockey, they took over the series.

"It rattled them a bit. They had set plays and once we found that out, we just played our game and every chance we got to hit, we hit."
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/43102/Hall-welcomes-1958-Packers

Notes for another fantasy draft:

2003 9th Burns, Getzlaf, Perry, Bergeron, Weber, Suter, Parise, Carter, Pavelski, Kesler, Byfuglien, ... Fleury.... Crawford, Elliott, Vanek, Staal, Eriksson
2004 5th Ovechkin, Malkin, Rinne, Radulov, Krejci
2005 12th Crosby, Price, Kopitar, Oshie, Neal, Letang, Vlasic, Stastny, Ryan, Rask, Quick, Bishop,... Hornqvist, Hanzal, Yandle

2006 7th Backstrom, Kessel, Toews, Giroux, Marchand, Lucic,... Little. Okposo, Brassard
2007 6th Kane, Benn, Subban, Pacioretty, Simmonds, Shattenkirk, Couture
2008 14th
2009 8th
2010 2nd Seguin, Hall, Tarasenko, Mrazek
2011 11th
2012 1st Forsberg, Galchenyuk, Andersen
2013 6th Monahan. MacKinnon, Barkov, Ristolainen, Domi, Lindholm, Nurse, Drouin, Theodore
2014 12th
2015 5th McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Rantanen
2016 8th
Misc. 15th

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Regina Capitals are in. Really hoping for a worthwhile turnout with some heavy hitters here.

Someone needs to run it, and I will have a lot of spare time so I'm an option.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How about we set a start date?

I suggest MLD 2017 to start Friday, July 14th (12-hour clock for round 1). (Of course, we have to get some third party to draw draft order out of a hat, but that comes AFTER a start date is fixed. I suggest we give people until next Wednesday to join then have a non-participating ATDer determine the draft order.)

That gives a clear 1-week notice.

(I hate drafts that wait forever to start then suddenly do so and I miss the beginning because it's unexpectedly so sudden and I've gotten busy and didn't get the message.)

If someone can second and third it, I'll PM everyone.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Great! PM's sent:

MLD 2017 to start Friday, July 14th at noon eastern
(12-hour clock for round 1).

People have until next Wednesday to join then a non-participating ATDer will determine the draft order

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Great to see the MLD going ahead. The small # is a bit much but a reality I guess. Hoping we can get to 8 Gm's by Wednesday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad