MLD 2017 Draft Thread

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Why have an early era cut off?

Make a real non-NHL all-time draft greats draft: include all greats who didn't play in the NHL, from Dan Bain to Willie Marshall to Slava Bykov.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
That's what I'm mulling over. It may or may not be better to stick to a cutoff date of 1917 - so guys who were playing out west in the 20s count, or even 1909, to take in the NHA. But I'd like to create a condition where we're forced to contextualize the Europeans who'll make up the bulk of the draft. I'm not sure how many players you'd end up excluding before 1909.
The WHA and Western Leagues, however, should be absolutely fair game.

If we get other interest, I'll create a rules discussion thread.

To me NHA is the NHL. They just changed the name to get rid of an owner, technically.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Why have an early era cut off?

Make a real non-NHL all-time draft greats draft: include all greats who didn't play in the NHL, from Dan Bain to Willie Marshall to Slava Bykov.

It's a question of whether one requires an NHL or NHL-by-a-different-name to compare our picks to. I'm certainly interested in doing it the way you suggest, though, and we'll continue to gauge the opinions of others.

To me NHA is the NHL. They just changed the name to get rid of an owner, technically.

Absolutely.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It sounds like you want a European non-NHL Draft.

That way you can ignore pre-NHL greats, AHLers (as there are some equally "what if" in the Original Six Era) and the WHA.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It sounds like you want a European non-NHL Draft.

That way you can ignore pre-NHL greats, AHLers (as there are some equally "what if" in the Original Six Era) and the WHA.

If you're referring to Johnny Engine, then that's obviously wrong.

Moreover, making this a "non-NHLers" draft instead of a "European" draft forces us to position our players within the big picture - not only by opening up comparisons to guys like Seth Martin, but also looking at how multiple hockey countries developed their game from the ground up.
I'd like to create a condition where we're forced to contextualize the Europeans who'll make up the bulk of the draft. I'm not sure how many players you'd end up excluding before 1909. The WHA and Western Leagues, however, should be absolutely fair game.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
The same thing could probably be said about European posters and e.g. Canadian hockey prior to 1945.
I never saw a European poster, who stated anything about NA hockey prior to 1945, considering himself as an expert.
Look no further than resent topic about CSKA in the NHL. It's obvious, that NA posters know nothing about Soviet league (they don't even distinguish 60s, 70s and 80s - and it were completely different CSKA teams there), but almost no one bother to ask a thing about CSKA or league or anything - to learn is hard - have an opinion instead!

But IMO it wouldn't be fair to say they "don't want to know". In both cases (NAs and European hockey; Europeans and older NA hockey) many posters are willing to learn when one brings up information that is new to them.
I didn't say, that they all are the same. But the majority are.

It's just that the language(s) barrier makes it a bit more difficult in case of Europe. In North America, everything is in English (and a bit is in French). In Europe, you have to deal with four different languages for original sources from the four major players Russia, Finland, Sweden and Czechia (plus Slovakia) and then you can add some sources in French and German and a few other languages. Even for Europeans, it's not exactly easy to get a good read on historic players from other European countries, particular those numerous quality players who weren't the biggest international stars in their day and didn't get much foreign coverage.
1. I-net has a lot of videos. You don't need to know language to see. And it's the better way to study hockey.
2. There are some sites with stats. Even if you don't know language, you may understand numbers. If not - google translator may help
3. They same correct for some short articles. You may understand the main idea even with google translator.
But it takes time and efforts.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The only one who hasn't logged on (so might not have received one of the reminder PMs) is hedberg. Once he logs on and votes, we're good to go for the playoffs! :handclap:

6/6 is ideal but 5/6 is good enough. We've had a long time to think about it so it's not like we have been too busy, and there's only six teams to rank! It could be done in half an hour easily.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Hedberg has voted. I've got 4, and a 5th notified me by Facebook that the votes are coming.
Sending a PM to #6 - I'll tabulate the votes tomorrow.

Edit: got them all!

Last edited:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
The votes are counted, and here are the standings:

1. Richmond - 26 points
2. Regina - 25 points
3/4. Kelowna/Chicago - 20 points
5. Atlanta - 18 points
6. Rogle - 17 points

Do we have a protocol for breaking the tie? Both Kelowna and Chicago received one first place vote each.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Friday, September 1st is Voting Day!

Vote for the winners of the two 1st round match-ups and include three stars of the series.

Send your votes to Johnny Engine.

Early voting is allowed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad