OT: MLB Thread XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Aaron Judge is being sent for testing on his injured right shoulder.

Judge had been slowly ramping up his baseball activities in recent days but this news indicates a setback. If any abnormalities are found during tests it would definitely put him in jeopardy of missing Opening Day, which is less than 30 days away now. Judge came to camp early and seemed fine at first, then developed "crankiness and soreness" in the shoulder per manager Aaron Boone. The slugger missed two months of action last season due to an oblique injury but mashed when healthy enough to play. He batted .272/.381/.540 with 27 home runs and 55 RBI in 102 games.
SOURCE: Meredith Marakovits on Twitter

It's basically the twilight zone at this point.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
There’s no chance everything is fine and he’s ready for opening day. Recent history indicates that he’ll be out for multiple months.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
These dudes are playing a game where you can run around with a dip in and somehow think they need to be weight lifters. It’s so stupid. Mets had the same issues for years, Yankees now too.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Training/conditioning is obviously an issue, but I think some of these guys are injury prone to begin with.

Stanton and Hicks can't stay on the field. Severino is a mess and Paxton's injury woes were well-known before he was acquired. Judge and Sanchez spend substantial time on the IL every season. And then there's Montgomery and Andujar who basically missed all of last year season.

Injury history rarely scares away Cashman from acquiring or extending players, but it's absolutely something he needs to consider going forward. In some ways it's probably too late since Stanton and Hicks are signed long-term, and no doubt Judge will be extended - we will need a ton of outfield depth for the foreseeable future.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
FB_IMG_1583502450999.jpg

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Judge has stress fracture in rib. Was he in same car as Buch and Shesty? How??

“It’s probably an injury that dates back to September when he dove, we think,” Boone said. “Signs are that it shows signs of healing. So we’re going to give it the next couple of weeks and then we’ll retest to show how much healing is going on with that rib.”

If it happened in September shouldn't it have healed by now? :huh:

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

“It’s probably an injury that dates back to September when he dove, we think,” Boone said. “Signs are that it shows signs of healing. So we’re going to give it the next couple of weeks and then we’ll retest to show how much healing is going on with that rib.”

I question whether a guy Judge's size will be able to stay healthy for any significant length of time. Signing him long term would be a huge mistake. Having Torres makes moving on from Judge easier.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

Not necessarily when it comes to stress fractures. His job as a professional athlete has him constantly training, even throughout the off-season. After the dive, they did tests on the shoulder area where he said it hurt. He probably played through some minor pain/soreness until the end of the season, took some time off (like two weeks) which allowed some healing but not for it to heal fully (but dulling any pain) and then he resumed physical activity which stopped any healing (increased the pain). Once he ramped up for spring training, the crack and pain got worse.

I had a similar issue, although with a totally different part of the body as when I was a college freshman, from hockey, I had stress fractured all toes except the big one, in my right foot. Dr. put me on crutches for 4-6 weeks. The crutches lasted a day because I had to walk over two miles daily to get to classes and the crutches bruised my sides. I ended up hobbling all around for over two months, walking on my heal, before my bones healed. I kept on causing trauma to the area even though I was babying it and that slowed down any healing.

Honestly, this is mostly on Judge for foolishly ignoring the pain during the off-season. The hope is, the rib fully heals over the next few weeks as he does nothing. Then he comes back a few weeks into the season ready to go.

This is a great article put out by Forbes today, describing stress fracture of the first rib in relation to Judges injury: Understanding Aaron Judge’s First Rib Stress Fracture

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Judge was a f***ing idiot for not talking to trainers/doctors about the whole thing. He kept on playing it despite continuing to feel discomfort. Had he done something about it in November, he'd be ready by now.

All you can do is hope he's fully healed from it in a month or two and we can move on, but it's difficult to have confidence that'll happen. I just hope he has surgery sooner rather than later and that there are no complications. I have zero confidence it can be properly rehabbed without surgery and not be a lingering issue all season.

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
1. 2000 Pedro 291 ERA+
2. 1994 Maddux 271
3. 1995 Maddux 260
4. 1999 Pedro 243
5. 1985 Dwight Gooden 229 ERA+

Who throws a 229 ERA+ when they're 20 years old? The other four were 27-29 years old. If not for off the field issues, Dwight Gooden would have been a Hall of Famer.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Yankees medical issues have become a complete, unmitigated disaster. From the players being made of glass to the incompetence of the medical staff. It’s hard to take them seriously these days.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yankees medical issues have become a complete, unmitigated disaster. From the players being made of glass to the incompetence of the medical staff. It’s hard to take them seriously these days.
Now Sanchez has the flu.

No shit, somebody is gonna f***in die on this team.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
This is kinda dumb sports radio type shit but I’m bored.

who does a shortened season benefit? What type of team? Teams with decent top end rotation but bad depth?

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
This is kinda dumb sports radio type shit but I’m bored.

who does a shortened season benefit? What type of team? Teams with decent top end rotation but bad depth?

It can certainly help the Yankees this year with all the injuries they have already. Allows Judge, Stanton, Hicks, etc. more time to rehab and miss less games than anticipated.

Reactions: East Coast Bias
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot