OT: MLB Thread Part V: Wheeling and dealing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Kemp can't play the outfield period. Ideally, he's a DH, but in the NL they should look into moving him to first.

True.

Waste of 70 mill. Or whatever their share of Kemp's contract is.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Marlins essentially swap McGehee for Morse, Jones for Prado and Eovaldi for Phelps.

Phelps wont even start in Florida, and that is regardless of what happens to Haren. Add Fernandez coming back from TJ in July, and he'll be a reliever.

His career numbers at Yankee Stadium are impressive and his road numbers are atrocious.

Weird moves by Florida. They're obviously going for it. I just dont see them hanging around by the time Fernandez comes back.

The Mets are closer. Way closer.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Fernandez is not going to be a reliever. They'll limit his innings but that's about it.

Also upgraded 2nd base with Gordon.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Fernandez is not going to be a reliever. They'll limit his innings but that's about it.

I'm pretty sure he meant Fernandez's return would push Phelps into the bullpen.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst

Lol i know. I can see how you thought that's what I meant.

Defensively, is Prado an upgrade over McGehee? Maybe in power. Hell, i don't even know if Prado plays 3b. He'll likely bounce around.

The McGehee trade is puzzling.

BarbaraAlphanse

Apparently a trade for Tulo to the Mets "is not happening".

Honestly, I REALLY want Flores to get the bulk of the starts with Reynolds as his back up. He has some serious offensive potential and there is value for that.

Overpaying for Tulo just isn't worth it, especially when we have a guy that can conceivably get the job done offensively already.

Flores is acting like the job is his, anyway. Working out heavily this entire offseason. I think he'll surprise a lot of people. Sandy seems comfortable w/ him.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Apparently a trade for Tulo to the Mets "is not happening".

Honestly, I REALLY want Flores to get the bulk of the starts with Reynolds as his back up. He has some serious offensive potential and there is value for that.

Overpaying for Tulo just isn't worth it, especially when we have a guy that can conceivably get the job done offensively already.

Flores is acting like the job is his, anyway. Working out heavily this entire offseason. I think he'll surprise a lot of people. Sandy seems comfortable w/ him.

Good lol

Tulo isnt as good as his numbers show, look at the splits between home and away he is completely different when he plays at Coors

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Good lol

Tulo isnt as good as his numbers show, look at the splits between home and away he is completely different when he plays at Coors

Everybody hits better at home than away. Coors Field helps him, but a 126 wRC+ (his road number) is still fantastic. Last year a 126 wRC+ would've tied you for 36th best hitter in baseball. The only other shortstop to post a 126 or higher wRC+ last year was Hanley Ramirez, who is now a left fielder. So even if Tulowitzki performed at his road levels both home and away without Coors, he would still be an amazing addition to the Mets. He is far and away the best shortstop in baseball and a phenomenal hitter.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Everybody hits better at home than away. Coors Field helps him, but a 126 wRC+ (his road number) is still fantastic. Last year a 126 wRC+ would've tied you for 36th best hitter in baseball. The only other shortstop to post a 126 or higher wRC+ last year was Hanley Ramirez, who is now a left fielder. So even if Tulowitzki performed at his road levels both home and away without Coors, he would still be an amazing addition to the Mets. He is far and away the best shortstop in baseball and a phenomenal hitter.

Not to mention he has a ridiculous OPS at CitiField.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY

and by overpaying for him they would end up getting an injury plagued really good shortstop... I would much rather save some of those prospects that they were gonna trade for him and trade for someone a bit younger

Plus having great pitching is key, if there becomes a log jam of great pitchers you can always trade one

Last edited:

Carnival Barker

Oct 6, 2005
New York
Please don't compare the Mets young pitching with what the Yankees have they are on different levels and its not even close

Was there a comparison? Relax, I was just commenting on how refreshing and unusual it is to see so much youth on both staffs. Save the inferiority complex for someone else.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
and by overpaying for him they would end up getting an injury plagued really good shortstop... I would much rather save some of those prospects that they were gonna trade for him and trade for someone a bit younger

Plus having great pitching is key, if there becomes a log jam of great pitchers you can always trade one

So you started out saying he's overrated and now you've shifted over to he's always hurt. Great. If a player is perfect, never gets hurt, and is signed to a perfect contract, then he'll never get traded. Mike Trout's not walking through that door. Every deal is going to have risk to it. Tulowitzki is one of the few position players we could feasibly acquire who would actually give us a legitimate look at World Series contention. If they can get him for a prospect package without touching the major league roster, then it's probably worth trading for him.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
So you started out saying he's overrated and now you've shifted over to he's always hurt. Great. If a player is perfect, never gets hurt, and is signed to a perfect contract, then he'll never get traded. Mike Trout's not walking through that door. Every deal is going to have risk to it. Tulowitzki is one of the few position players we could feasibly acquire who would actually give us a legitimate look at World Series contention. If they can get him for a prospect package without touching the major league roster, then it's probably worth trading for him.

Sorry for adding that he's often hurt? hip surgery should always be overlooked, cause the Mets have never been burned with bringing players in as they fall apart in both physical and playing ability... ahh the good old days of Luis Castillo, Roberto Alomar, and Jeromy Burnitz.

Here I hope you're right and with Tulowitzki they will be competing for the World Series title!
Possible that this trade will be looked at again cause the Mets missed out on the Japanese Shortstop coming over.

alright good talk

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
You mean the Korean guy who there are serious questions about whether he can actually play shortstop at the major league level?

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
I feel like I'm the only Mets fan that wants Tulo these days. The dude makes us a WS contender instantly. You have to take risks to win championships c'mon now.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I feel like I'm the only Mets fan that wants Tulo these days. The dude makes us a WS contender instantly. You have to take risks to win championships c'mon now.

I think there's a chance getting away from the weird elevation in Colorado might help keep him healthier too.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

And on top of his hitting prowess he also happens to be very good defensively.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Depends on the prospects. I'm not giving up Noah AND Plawecki AND Montero AND Gee AND Nimmo. It would have to be a tiered deal, like okay, pick one name from this list, one name from this list, one name from this list, etc.

We should be trying to max out the potential of Herrera in this deal. And I don't know if I would be trading a 6'6", 22 year old pitcher with an 80 grade fastball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad