OT: MLB Discussion Thread Part III: Jeter announces retirement after 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Cashman has got to go. The offense is still bad despite all the new acquisitions and the return of Tex. And once again there are no position players from the farm ready to step in and make an impact offensively, forcing us to rely on players who are a shell of their former selves such as Soriano, Beltran, etc.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Well the Yankees might rebuild their farm system this year alone..

They have deals with 10 of the top 15 (or 11 of the top 18 depends on who you ask), IFA prospects...

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Cashman has got to go. The offense is still bad despite all the new acquisitions and the return of Tex. And once again there are no position players from the farm ready to step in and make an impact offensively, forcing us to rely on players who are a shell of their former selves such as Soriano, Beltran, etc.

even if there were players ready to step in.. Beltran, Ellsbury, Mccann, etc would not be sitting.. They are going to have to hit or its going to be a long long year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well the Yankees might rebuild their farm system this year alone..

They have deals with 10 of the top 15 (or 11 of the top 18 depends on who you ask), IFA prospects...

There aren't many/any "can't miss" guys out there right now. And the IFA market is such a crap shoot anyway. It's the equivalent of signing high school sophomores. Often times, the best prospects from the IFA pool end up being the guys that sign for $100K or less.

Not that signing good IFA talent is a bad thing, by any stretch. It's just hardly a guaranteed way of replenishing a system.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
There aren't many/any "can't miss" guys out there right now. And the IFA market is such a crap shoot anyway. It's the equivalent of signing high school sophomores. Often times, the best prospects from the IFA pool end up being the guys that sign for $100K or less.

Not that signing good IFA talent is a bad thing, by any stretch. It's just hardly a guaranteed way of replenishing a system.

Yeah, gambling on 16 year old kids has a very high bust rate.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Yeah, gambling on 16 year old kids has a very high bust rate.

For the record, they also signed a slew of smaller price tag guys as well. The plan apparently is to go all-in on this year's crop due to the facts that they had no first rounder this year and also expect an international draft to be instituted sometime soon. Not saying that any of these kids are a guarantee by any stretch, but they went both deep and wide in their approach, planning on spending as much as $30MM in bonuses and penalties according to reports.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
For the record, they also signed a slew of smaller price tag guys as well. The plan apparently is to go all-in on this year's crop due to the facts that they had no first rounder this year and also expect an international draft to be instituted sometime soon. Not saying that any of these kids are a guarantee by any stretch, but they went both deep and wide in their approach, planning on spending as much as $30MM in bonuses and penalties according to reports.

Yeah, it's not a bad approach. I just want people to understand that you're just as likely, five years down the road, to have absolutely nothing to show for this crop of guys than to have anyone close to contributing. It's just the nature of the market.

It's like buying 30 lottery tickets instead of the 10 you'd normally buy. :laugh:

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012

no question.. but can you really "miss" on all 10? :laugh:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yeah, it's not a bad approach. I just want people to understand that you're just as likely, five years down the road, to have absolutely nothing to show for this crop of guys than to have anyone close to contributing. It's just the nature of the market.

It's like buying 30 lottery tickets instead of the 10 you'd normally buy. :laugh:

Oh come on, that's a bit hyperbolic. I realize it's risky, but so is the "regular" draft. It gets less so, the older the kids get, true, but I'd be very surprised if this approach doesn't produce a good - potentially very good - crop of prospects.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Oh come on, that's a bit hyperbolic. I realize it's risky, but so is the "regular" draft. It gets less so, the older the kids get, true, but I'd be very surprised if this approach doesn't produce a good - potentially very good - crop of prospects.

I think you're underestimating how bad the yield rate is on 16 year old IFAs.

Basically we have Miguel Cabrera, a few guys like Sano and Profar and Sanchez that we aren't sure about yet, and, well. . .

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2014/7/2/5865159/top-international-bonuses-through-2009

Scouting is always improving, but landing a bunch of the supposed top guys at that age really doesn't guarantee anything.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think you're underestimating how bad the yield rate is on 16 year old IFAs.

Scouting is always improving, but landing a bunch of the supposed top guys at that age really doesn't guarantee anything.

Oh no, I get it. But that's the point of signing something like 50% of the top 30 plus another 1-2 dozen guys.

If the Yanks had simply landed the top guy with little behind him, I'd completely agree. But they didn't; they went all Gary Oldman in the Professional this year.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
RAUJA KLEMINSCZ. IS STANDING IN JAUWJIZ BOCKS.

MY GOODNACE GRAYSHUS. OF ALL THE JRUMMATUCQUE.

driven by jeeeep

(I had to get that off my chest and belt it out. I'm sorry. Nobody in the buffalo OT thread would understand)

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
RAUJA KLEMINSCZ. IS STANDING IN JAUWJIZ BOCKS.

MY GOODNACE GRAYSHUS. OF ALL THE JRUMMATUCQUE.

driven by jeeeep

(I had to get that off my chest and belt it out. I'm sorry. Nobody in the buffalo OT thread would understand)

Me and my friend were making fun of this again just the other day... Suzyn is the worst. Her and Sterling are so painful to listen to.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's unreal about Tanaka. I'm no Yankees fan, but that's tough seeing such an awesome talent having to deal with a potentially serious elbow injury so early into his MLB career. Fortunately--and assuming worst case, TJ surgery--that procedure is so common now and you can pretty much expect him to come back at full strength. The only real concern beyond that is whether all the work he's done so early in his life is going to continue to catch up to him in the coming years.

In other news, nice to see my Metsies playing some good ball. TDA has been great since coming back, and coupled with Granderson's continued resurgence and Lagares' return, things have finally stabilized a bit for them. They're a bit better than the record indicates (46-45 Pythagorean W-L), so hopefully they can go on a little run in the second half and finish with a winning record.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
d'Arnaud's bat coming alive is huge. The future gets so much brighter if he establishes himself as a legit hitter.

Trainmman

May 29, 2014
Jersey
d'Arnaud's bat coming alive is huge. The future gets so much brighter if he establishes himself as a legit hitter.

He needs at bats... young hitters have a tougher time than pitchers adjusting to the majors IMO. Catchers have it twice as worse.. he's not bad defensively at all.

The core of this team offensively must be Granderson, Wright and Murphy.

Here's what they need: a shortstop who can hit, a first baseman who can hit to complement Duda and another outfielder.

You get Harvey back, Syndergaard comes in as the #4-5 next year.. they are going somewhere. Parnell comes back in a middle relief role, they can take that division next year.

Today's a huge game for them. If they can sweep the Bravos, have a good series against Miami.. who knows. This division is brutal, if you play well for 40 games (25-15 or 30-10) you can take it. No one has yet..

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I actually think that until he proves otherwise, Eric Campbell is an adequate platoon partner for Duda. He has killed lefties his whole career throughout the minors.

Trainmman

May 29, 2014
Jersey
I did some searching through baseball reference on the Mets, and I know the blown save stat is overblown, but they have blown 16 saves not from closers, but includes middle relievers in close games).

Also I counted their reliever losses.. here they are:

Mejia - 3
Torres - 4
Familia - 3
Rice - 2
Valverde (LOL) - 1
Black - 2
Farnsworthless - 3
Eveland - 1

That's 19 total losses. Could you imagine if they cut down some of those losses.. jeez why do the Mets torture me??

BarbaraAlphanse

I did some searching through baseball reference on the Mets, and I know the blown save stat is overblown, but they have blown 16 saves not from closers, but includes middle relievers in close games).

Also I counted their reliever losses.. here they are:

Mejia - 3
Torres - 4
Familia - 3
Rice - 2
Valverde (LOL) - 1
Black - 2
Farnsworthless - 3
Eveland - 1

That's 19 total losses. Could you imagine if they cut down some of those losses.. jeez why do the Mets torture me??

Most of those guys are new to the pen. Mejia's first time there and he's immediately thrust into the closer's position. It's an intense responsibility and it requires different warming up than a starting pitcher does. He has electric stuff, but it's definitely within reason that he's having troubles some nights, especially when he goes on record and talks about having a tired arm some nights. He's learning.

Familia, too. Him and Mejia are so incredibly young. But they have the stuff. It took Parnell several years to learn to harness his repertoire. Can't wait to have that guy back, btw.

I think the bullpen, moving forward, will be a hell of a strength for this team.

BarbaraAlphanse

TdA goes down and Backman fixes his approach at the plate. Flores goes down and Backman fixes his approach at the plate.

The Mets actually have the opportunity to vie for a WC spot this year. I still think we are 2 big moves away from this happening, but we are close.

1 - A powerful left field bat. We need another Granderson. A guy who is a power hitter in the lineup who will mash up on pitchers in the middle of the order. Duda would be an ideal 6 hitter. At 4, he grounds into FAR too many momentum killing double plays. But at 6? He provides a legitimate power threat. Focus on finding a powerful LF. Chris Young completely shot himself in the foot playing as poorly as he did.
2 - Trade Colon. Get a good prospect in return. Trading him frees up 11 million to spend next year, to go along with the 7 that CY opens up. I think we also have like another 20 million to spend, as Bay's buyout was deferred to this year. Part of that goes to giving Murphy an extension. The rest goes for (perhaps) a SS, a powerful LF, and 1 veteran bullpen guy who can stabilize a pen and not be a reclamation project.

FWIW, I think we may already have our SS solution in AAA. Matt Reynolds. He changed his batting approach this year. He tried to be a power slugger, now focuses on getting on base and average. He's batting .350 in AAA. That means I think that the Mets can save their money on that position while finding a better solution at SS. (Also Ruben has been playing very adequately as of late... something to monitor).

The big problem I see is our LF. Conforto is still about 2 years away, if he even develops. Nimmo is about 2 years away, if he continues to progress. Syndergaard is listed as Baseball Prospectus' #9 prospect in their mid-season top 50. He is #18 in Baseball America's mid-season top 50. Keith Law says that Confronto is a better prospect... That's exciting. But we should, hypothetically, be ready to compete next year.

Harvey, Wheeler, Niese, Gee, deGrom... Then you have Syndergaard in the wings. What about Steven Matz who this organization is as high on as i've ever seen (possibly higher than Syndergaard himself). Montero, who was a pre-season top 100 prospect... Jeremy Heffner who had finally figured it out before he had to get Tommy John?

This team is loaded in its rotation. I'd even guess that we go to a 6 man rotation around June, so that Harvey can pitch into September and maybe October if we get that far. Meaning Syndergaard will get his cup of coffee.

And then the young pen. Mejia, Familia, Parnell, Torres, Edjin. Parnell will struggle early, but I struggle to believe that he won't be able to return to his old form. The year off will allow his neck to heal from the surgery before the TJ. I predict he has several blown game opportunities in the beginning of the season and comes back to pitch formidably around May.

Finally the batting, which again as I'm stressing, desperately needs a LF. Conforto, or not, they need one soon. I don't know if Carlos Gonzalez would be my guy, he seems to be a product of his field... but there needs to be someone.

I'd love to get a prospect like Joc Pederson in here, but by all accounts he seems nearly unmovable. Don't know who else would be available. None of the OF free agents fit that requirement. Markakis and Rios are the best 2 available and neither are power hitting outfielders.

Alderson needs to find a solution. Hell, I'd ship Colon out for the best available prospect and package that guy w/ two more of our own to get a legit OF. We need someone.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Jeff Passan @JeffPassan · 5m
Yankees GM Brian Cashman says Masahiro Tanaka has a small tear in his UCL. Will have PRP injection. Yankees hope he's back in six weeks.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan · 4m
The reality: Unless he's in the vast minority of players for whom rehab works, Masahiro Tanaka eventually will need Tommy John surgery.

Jeff Passan @JeffPassan · 1m
Pitchers can throw with partially torn UCLs. Adam Wainwright's lasted for half a decade before it blew out. But he is the truest exception.

Harvey had the same exact injury last year. He tried rehabbing before he realized it was best just to get the surgery.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Yankees pitchers just can't catch a break this year.

All pitchers. League-wide epidemic.

Blame little league coaches. You shouldnt be a 5-pitch pitcher at 10 years old. Most leagues didnt allow curveballs until babe Ruth.

Pitchers in the 70s and 80s were essentially two-pitch pitchers. Fastball and slider/sinker. Now every pitcher has to throw three types of fastballs, a change up, a sinker/slider and a breaking pitch.

Sad to see. Neurotic society has created neurotic coaches and pitchers.

where have you gone, Ron Guidry?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
All pitchers. League-wide epidemic.

Blame little league coaches. You shouldnt be a 5-pitch pitcher at 10 years old. Most leagues didnt allow curveballs until babe Ruth.

Pitchers in the 70s and 80s were essentially two-pitch pitchers. Fastball and slider/sinker. Now every pitcher has to throw three types of fastballs, a change up, a sinker/slider and a breaking pitch.

Sad to see. Neurotic society has created neurotic coaches and pitchers.

where have you gone, Ron Guidry?

There's more to it than that. Medical technology has improved. Before MRIs and TJS pitchers just pitched until they broke. A guy with elbow soreness would keep going until he stopped being effective or blew out his arm. Now they catch this stuff before it gets too far down the line. Players who used to flame out and disappear now have options to prolong their careers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad