OT: MLB 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If Beltran got fired it'd be Terry Collins as the one-year interim. Or they'd just bring in Eduardo Perez who was ostensibly second in their manager search.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Lots of callers on the FAN wanted him fired today, but I don’t know how many are saying that because they never wanted him hired in the first place.

Yeah, I didn't want him. It was just another 'I'm Smarter Than You' Brodie hire. The correct hiring would have been Girardi (who wanted the job) but the Wilsons and Brodie weren't having it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, I didn't want him. It was just another 'I'm Smarter Than You' Brodie hire. The correct hiring would have been Girardi (who wanted the job) but the Wilsons and Brodie weren't having it.

I think the last time any of my teams hired someone I actually wanted was Rex Ryan lol, although I don't remember offhand if he was my top choice that offseason or not. Jerry Manuel, Terry Collins, Mickey, Beltran were all like meh, we'll see type hires for the Mets.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Managers aren't even that important, computers/analytics decide how they should manage the team. One of the sports that head coach has the least impact on how games go.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Should the league have taken any individual offensive awards from players?

No and I don’t think the title should have been stripped either. Players should have been suspended though.

League punishes players for cheating or bad conduct in other ways. No reason to let them skirt here because you are afraid of the Union. Other players were wronged by their cheating.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Wish they would've suspended some players, but how do you suspend a some, but not all of them? You cant expect them to play an MLB season with their AAA guys.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The media and Rob Manfred both got what they wanted and railroaded Beltran out despite not having any actual power to suspend him. And the Mets somehow get punished for **** they had nothing to do with.

What gnaws me (besides that) is Beltran will get a job in baseball again, but he just can’t work for the Mets cause of the timing.

Reactions: OmNomNom

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
OMG they actually let Evan Roberts ask a question during the presser, then cut him and Benigno off when he went hard on the followup :laugh:

Reactions: johnny pierogi

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Well ostensibly the promise was for immunity 'if you told the truth'. If Beltran did indeed get caught in a lie then immunity wouldn't apply to him anymore since he would have broken the term of the agreement (though if that's the case why not just suspend him too instead of backchanneling the Mets to do it?).

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

he was the only one outed because he's the ONLY one no longer protected by the MLBPA. That's it. The union would NEVER allow it.

Side note, I completely underestimated how big of a deal this is. I kinda just looked at it like everyone's probably cheating but they're the ones who got caught. Didn't think it would have this large of an effect on everything.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
he was the only one outed because he's the ONLY one no longer protected by the MLBPA. That's it. The union would NEVER allow it.

Side note, I completely underestimated how big of a deal this is. I kinda just looked at it like everyone's probably cheating but they're the ones who got caught. Didn't think it would have this large of an effect on everything.

Probably because this kind of thing is only sacrosanct in baseball (and really this is the first legislation against electronic cheating)...in football one team has had multiple cheating scandals and one guy got a four-game suspension more or less for busting his phone than actually breaking a rule. This one four key management figures including two WS winning managers, a should-be HOF player and a WS winning exec all lost their job over this.

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Well you could be right about that, but it is easier to fire a guy when he's already going to miss a full season as it is which won't be an issue here unlike Hinch and Cora (whose cheating actions actually benefitted the teams they were employed by).

Assuming he makes it to Spring Training the smart thing would be to mea culpa his role the first day and end the story right then.
I knew they would fire him even if he is the one that stepped down. You and I both know they asked him to. Carlos Hince and Cora will have a hard time getting a job unless it is behind the scenes.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
It sucks for the Mets, but it had to be done. It would have been a massive distraction on the season.

I think the Mets dodged a bullet.

Dude had absolutely no experience & for the life of me I have a hard time arguing that it wasn't a nepotism hire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad