Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Because that’s exactly what’s happened to other players. IE Hanifin and Pierre Luc Dubois.

The leafs will work with the agent to broker a deal. I forget which episode but on agent provocateur Allan Walsh describes a few of these situation where the agent actually brokers a deal for the GM. Essentially team ask the agent to speak to the GM’s player with NMC is willing to go to. Agent helps to broker the trade along with the extension.

Debrincat, Panarin, Chychrun?

Not every player gets traded to a team they like, some just bide their time and leave asap.

Marner controls the situation with his NMC. Zero chance he accepts to go to another white hot market, especially in Canada, I would imagine.

And I seriously doubt he wants to be THE guy on a team, so there has to be an equivalent or better forward.

The list of teams is not long.

In what world is he THE guy on the Leafs? He has Matthews and Nylander right next to him. Marner's problem is honestly just mental, a smaller market with less intense media/fans might help with that but idk.

Reactions: francis246

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The bigger question (that most Leaf fans choose to ignore) is why would either of Marner or Tavares willingly waive their NMC when they’re playing for the team they dreamed of playing for all their life, all while being paid a disgusting amount of money.

The answer is simple - they wouldn’t.
I don't choose to ignore it. In fact, I think it is a possibility- most fans do.

Because toronto cabt make it out the first round. He wants a cup
Sure they can.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The bigger question (that most Leaf fans choose to ignore) is why would either of Marner or Tavares willingly waive their NMC when they’re playing for the team they dreamed of playing for all their life, all while being paid a disgusting amount of money.

The answer is simple - they wouldn’t.

It's very simple really... nobody wants to be where they aren't wanted.

In the case of Marner, unless he signs something with the Leafs this offseason, he has a HUGE contract riding on his performance this coming year. The last thing he should want to do is jeopardize that by being in a potentially toxic environment.

Furthermore, going all the way to UFA isn't exactly ideal for a player like Marner. Good teams often set their plans for core players well before UFA, and his choice of destination is probably not going to have the $11-$12m in cap space that they'll come July 1.

If the Leafs and Marner cannot come to an agreement on an extension (which seems quite unlikely at this point) it is very much in Marner's best interest to get himself moved to a potential signing destination and/or sign a contract with somebody else.

Even Tavares, nobody's talking about moving him because there seems to be a sense that he probably wants to stay and will embrace a substantially lower cap hit to make that happen.

If that isn't the case, and Tavares says, "Kopitar got $7m at age 36 I want that"... there may be a very frank discussion with Tavares about moving. Obviously, with a young family he does not want to move, but if he's gotta move elsewhere in a year anyways, might as well do it now and get that next contract locked in.

Obviously, with Tavares, you'd certainly need to find a 3rd party to retain 50% on his deal as well,... but like Marner, that's really not all that difficult considering his salary is $910k. At the end of the day, Tavares at $5.5m probably has value in excess of what it would cost for a team to take on a $5.5m cap / $455k retention hit for 1 year.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Apologies for not going through 25+ pages, but what are some of the more likely teams that Marner a) waive to b) have the cap/roster set up to sign him long term?
Utah? Seattle? Nashville? Are Anaheim and Chicago close enough to starting to contend to jump in?

In terms of teams that would probably agree to pay him $12m x 8; you probably just named the 3.

I also don't believe he'd be all that interested in signing with those 3....

Which begs the question, if he's going to end up on a new team and "assimilate" to their cap structure where he's paid $9-10m.... why can't he stomach doing that in Toronto?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
In terms of teams that would probably agree to pay him $12m x 8; you probably just named the 3.

Which begs the question, if he's going to end up on a new team and "assimilate" to their cap structure where he's paid $9-10m.... why can't he stomach doing that in Toronto?
Yeah I don't see a guy like Trotz paying him 11-12 million I mean Forsberg is making 8.5 and put up 96 pts. Yeah Poile did that contract but I don't see the difference between Marner and Forsberg being 3 million a season.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
There are several issues.

1. He gets to approve any deal.
2. He hasn't played well in the playoffs at all, not just this year.
2. The Leafs are looking to win now so futures wont get it done so any team has to give up a star or soon to be star +
4. Any team trading for him would have to be comfortable in trading the assets for him and taking the chance he walks next summer.

Fair value just isn't happening.

You could always sign him to 8 years as a negotiation tactic to get him to agree to move

If I’m Treliving, I’m trying for Saros out of Nashville around Marner. Add in Josi and I’ll work Nylander into the deal

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast

I'm sure his agent is working (or has worked) behind the scenes to figure out who would match their ask. Maybe a lower Toronto deal is his best option but it seems like there's a lot of water under the bridge and history suggests he's going to push for top $. I'm curious to see how it plays out, not really an obvious answer here.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
They might say that if Toronto gets too unpleasant for them they might consider other teams, but even then, they are not going to go to Utah, CHI, CBJ, or Buffalo. They'll want to go to an appealing destination with a competitive team, and lots of cap space. Hard to come up with that team, for me.

I think you play out the string with JT and Marner, check in again with them at the TDL, and get what you can for them then.
They should still be a playoff team. Playoff teams don't trade their best players. If they are in Toronto after December they are there until July 1 at least.

Shannahan loves his boys. Marner, like Nylander will have the best season of his life because he is selfish and wants his money. He will get new blank contracts to fill out. Then take a vacation just like Nylander.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It's very simple really... nobody wants to be where they aren't wanted.

In the case of Marner, unless he signs something with the Leafs this offseason, he has a HUGE contract riding on his performance this coming year. The last thing he should want to do is jeopardize that by being in a potentially toxic environment.

Furthermore, going all the way to UFA isn't exactly ideal for a player like Marner. Good teams often set their plans for core players well before UFA, and his choice of destination is probably not going to have the $11-$12m in cap space that they'll come July 1.

If the Leafs and Marner cannot come to an agreement on an extension (which seems quite unlikely at this point) it is very much in Marner's best interest to get himself moved to a potential signing destination and/or sign a contract with somebody else.

Even Tavares, nobody's talking about moving him because there seems to be a sense that he probably wants to stay and will embrace a substantially lower cap hit to make that happen.

If that isn't the case, and Tavares says, "Kopitar got $7m at age 36 I want that"... there may be a very frank discussion with Tavares about moving. Obviously, with a young family he does not want to move, but if he's gotta move elsewhere in a year anyways, might as well do it now and get that next contract locked in.

Obviously, with Tavares, you'd certainly need to find a 3rd party to retain 50% on his deal as well,... but like Marner, that's really not all that difficult considering his salary is $910k. At the end of the day, Tavares at $5.5m probably has value in excess of what it would cost for a team to take on a $5.5m cap / $455k retention hit for 1 year.
Mats Sundin didn't have a problem being where he wasn't wanted.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah I don't see a guy like Trotz paying him 11-12 million I mean Forsberg is making 8.5 and put up 96 pts. Yeah Poile did that contract but I don't see the difference between Marner and Forsberg being 3 million a season.

That's just it. With Nashville, Forsberg's contract would be "3 years older" than Marner's (from a cap hit %). Marner also has a longer track record staying of staying healthy producing 90+ point seasons; so I think there's reasonable justification for paying Marner more.

However, take a team like Carolina for example, who I think would absolutely love to add a Mitch Marner. They've set their salary ceiling at Sebastien Aho's $9.75m. Marner may be a little more productive, and and a year later in terms of contract start, but Aho's a centre. Seems to me that Carolina's offer would probably be a matching deal to Sebastian Aho.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's just it. With Nashville, Forsberg's contract would be "3 years older" than Marner's (from a cap hit %). Marner also has a longer track record staying of staying healthy producing 90+ point seasons; so I think there's reasonable justification for paying Marner more.

However, take a team like Carolina for example, who I think would absolutely love to add a Mitch Marner. They've set their salary ceiling at Sebastien Aho's $9.75m. Marner may be a little more productive, and and a year later in terms of contract start, but Aho's a centre. Seems to me that Carolina's offer would probably be a matching deal to Sebastian Aho.
Yup. Said it for years. Fitting in a guy like Marner simply destroys your team's salary structure, chemistry, as well as the quality of the roster.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Even with the track record , which was on a much more offensively talented team, I don't see the difference being 3 million a season.

Forsberg also plays a more physical game and is at least solid in the playoffs most of the time.

Donner

Jul 16, 2022
The reason why Toronto is trading him away is precisely the reason he wont fetch much in a trade. Hes essentially a rental, hes expensive currently and if you want to resign him, itll be for a lot. And in the playoffs hes going to be a complete non factor or even a liability

The best fit would with a offensive starved team.

The article with trade ideas did bring up an interesting trade. Marner for Adam Larsson + Shane Wright. Seattle needs the offense bad. Larsson brings much needed defensive ability to the Leafs and Wright is sold young prospect and can be developed into a 2 way player in time

Reactions: JKG33

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
I did like one of the comments in the S/N article

"The only way you're getting Marner to waive his NMC is if you bring Babcock to coach..."

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
The reason why Toronto is trading him away is precisely the reason he wont fetch much in a trade. Hes essentially a rental, hes expensive currently and if you want to resign him, itll be for a lot. And in the playoffs hes going to be a complete non factor or even a liability

The best fit would with a offensive starved team.

The article with trade ideas did bring up an interesting trade. Marner for Adam Larsson + Shane Wright. Seattle needs the offense bad. Larsson brings much needed defensive ability to the Leafs and Wright is sold young prospect and can be developed into a 2 way player in time

That was the only trade that could theoretically work as Seattle would have the space to re-sign Marner.

CBJ would effectively Leaf themselves with the trade as they already have 2 wingers making 8.7mil+ and Marner will want 12mil at least. As well as Werenski making 9.5 and Severson at 6.25.

CGY would be the same only worse because while fewer contracts, they'd have their 3 highest paid players under contract for at least 5 more years and all stretch into their later 30's. Add Marner at 12mil and you have a 3 man core of Huberdeau, Kadri, and Marner at at 29.5mil

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
this is why we love TO media so much

This was so bad. Laughton as the center piece from Philadelphia? Sign me up! Except the Flyers would still need to clear about 11m in cap space.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
FB_IMG_1715292639062.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad