Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
LOL, what are you smoking? Power/Byram for a rental and proven loser? They aren't paying Marner 11+ million.
Maybe they won't. The way I see it, they do need more firepower up front and they have 3 D-men that should be first pairing guys, arguably all three could be #1 on some team. I have a hard time believing they really intend to hold on all 3 of Dahlin, Power and Byram.

Someone is going to pay Marner 11+ on the open market, that's a guarantee. A lot of teams are also going to look at him with "I can fix him" attitude. While Marner is the worst offender, let's not pretend that Matthews and Nylander have been these playoff monsters when you compare them to other superstars around the league.

• Haha
Reactions: MK9

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Maybe they won't. The way I see it, they do need more firepower up front and they have 3 D-men that should be first pairing guys, arguably all three could be #1 on some team. I have a hard time believing they really intend to hold on all 3 of Dahlin, Power and Byram.
If they trade any of those guys, it wouldn't be for a rental, let alone a guy who will earn 11+ million and is a proven post-season flop. Marner is now 27 years old and will be earning the maximum dollars of his career. Plus, there is no way Marner waives for Buffalo! lol

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If they trade any of those guys, it wouldn't be for a rental, let alone a guy who will earn 11+ million and is a proven post-season flop. Marner is now 27 years old and will be earning the maximum dollars of his career. Plus, there is no way Marner waives for Buffalo! lol
Obviously, all this is done with the intention that Marner would sign an extension of some sorts. Of course, the nature of the return Toronto would get for Marner depends on the ability of the team acquiring him to get Marner to re-sign.

I think Buffalo might actually be a good option, if he/his family wants to stay near Toronto. If that's not the case then I would probably want to go as far as possible I agree.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Obviously, all this is done with the intention that Marner would sign an extension of some sorts. Of course, the nature of the return Toronto would get for Marner depends on the ability of the team acquiring him to get Marner to re-sign.

I think Buffalo might actually be a good option, if he/his family wants to stay near Toronto. If that's not the case then I would probably want to go as far as possible I agree.
To put it simply, the teams that would have interest in Marner, are the seem teams Marner would not waive for.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If Marner agrees to waive, it will be a very limited number of teams IMO. Tampa, Florida, Vegas like usual. You can pretty much say the same about any player that has control through a trade clause or being 1 year from UFA.

Add Chicago to that list. The Hawks have the capspace for Marner with zero retention. Bedard needs a winger and Marner fits the bill. The Hawks aren't contending anytime soon and Marner immediately makes them better.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
To put it simply, the teams that would have interest in Marner, are the seem teams Marner would not waive for.
Sure. So his other option is for him and his family and friends to eat shit from the Toronto fans for the whole next year before he walks to free agency?

William Nylander could handle that. I doubt Marner could.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sure. So his other option is for him and his family and friends to eat shit from the Toronto fans for the whole next year before he walks to free agency?
Seems like Marner has a thick skin if he's made it this far after numerous post-season failures. I am sure the Marner family will take a view that this was a narrow loss (could have gone either way) and will look at the positives.

There is always massive over-reaction after a loss like this. Give it a month or 2 and Leaf fans and Marner will be planning the parade in 2025.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Add Chicago to that list. The Hawks have the capspace for Marner with zero retention. Bedard needs a winger and Marner fits the bill. The Hawks aren't contending anytime soon and Marner immediately makes them better.
But what realistically will the Hawks offer for one year of marner when he likely won't resign (on basically any team) knowing he can get a huge deal in free agency

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Matthew Tkachuck wasn't exactly known as a stellar playoff performer when he got traded.

Nobody predicted Tkachuk having the year he had last year in Florida. I think Matthew benefited the most from having a new coach. Marner could be the same benefiting from a new coach and new team and getting out of the spotlight from playing on a Canadian team.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yes, years in hockey seasons.

We are talking about hockey right?

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Nobody predicted Tkachuk having the year he had last year in Florida. I think Matthew benefited the most from having a new coach. Marner could be the same benefiting from a new coach and new team and getting out of the spotlight from playing on a Canadian team.
I mean they're all getting a new coach.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
For sure he would, the whole group would. Ultimately it won’t make a big enough of a difference. We’re seeing the effect of three highly skilled forwards not being able to produce in the playoffs. One of them needs to be stronger and get goals in the front of the net.

But 100%.. a better coaching staff would have made the adjustments to win, especially on special teams. Either way, they would lose next round to Florida.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Indeed, I just don't think that his lack of playoff success has any real impact on his value. I mean I guess some teams can argue that to the Leafs, but they don't really think that way. They look at it as the Leafs failing as a whole, not just Marner, and in the right environment he will become a playoff producer.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
But what realistically will the Hawks offer for one year of marner when he likely won't resign (on basically any team) knowing he can get a huge deal in free agency

Right now probably not much but it depends on what kind of numbers Marner puts up next year. At the worst, the Hawks flip him at the deadline next year. No doubt in my mind a team is going to offer Marner 11M next summer. Im guessing Marner is focusing more on money than a chance at a cup right now.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Sure, but that’s under the assumption that Doughty has the possibility of winning it this season which he doesn’t because he was already eliminated in 5 games.

When I said decade I was referring to seasons, not the exact date. He last won a Cup 11 seasons ago. If you want to get all technical we can wait until June 17th and then I’ll say Marner had more success than Doughty in both the last decade by date and seasons.

I fail to see the point of this debate about Doughty/Marner. Does Doughty's lack of postseason success over the last decade make Marner's more acceptable? At least Doughty has shown in the past that he can be a playoff warrior. Marner still has plenty of time to prove that he can get it done when it counts most, but I'm struggling to see the point of the comparison. Once a guy plays a big role on a Cup winning team then he gets to wear that badge for his whole career.

Tyler Seguin is a guy who used to be a pushover in the playoffs but with experience has gotten to the point where he's fairly effective. Still more of a regular season guy, but I would hope that most guys will figure out playoff hockey if they get enough shots at it. It's easy to pile on Marner now, but just because he's been underwhelming in the playoffs so far doesn't mean he always will be. That's a big price tag however for teams to hope he figures it out in the near future.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I fail to see the point of this debate about Doughty/Marner. Does Doughty's lack of postseason success over the last decade make Marner's more acceptable? At least Doughty has shown in the past that he can be a playoff warrior. Marner still has plenty of time to prove that he can get it done when it counts most, but I'm struggling to see the point of the comparison. Once a guy plays a big role on a Cup winning team then he gets to wear that badge for his whole career.

Tyler Seguin is a guy who used to be a pushover in the playoffs but with experience has gotten to the point where he's fairly effective. Still more of a regular season guy, but I would hope that most guys will figure out playoff hockey if they get enough shots at it. It's easy to pile on Marner now, but just because he's been underwhelming in the playoffs so far doesn't mean he always will be. That's a big price tag however for teams to hope he figures it out in the near future.

I'm saying Doughty last won a cup a decade (in seasons) ago.

Doughty today is not as good as Doughty in 2014. Doughty was drafted in the same draft as Karlsson who was traded for basically nothing. The notion that Doughty today with his current contract is more valuable than Marner is ridiculous.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Indeed, I just don't think that his lack of playoff success has any real impact on his value. I mean I guess some teams can argue that to the Leafs, but they don't really think that way. They look at it as the Leafs failing as a whole, not just Marner, and in the right environment he will become a playoff producer.
For sure he would, the whole group would. Ultimately it won’t make a big enough of a difference. We’re seeing the effect of three highly skilled forwards not being able to produce in the playoffs. One of them needs to be stronger and get goals in the front of the net.

But 100%.. a better coaching staff would have made the adjustments to win, especially on special teams. Either way, they would lose next round to Florida.
I mean they're all getting a new coach.

I think the Leafs need a new coach who can immediately change the culture in Toronto. Someone hard nosed like Rod Brind amour.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If Marner's willing to waive cause he wants to sign an extension this offseason, and is willing to play pretty much anywhere I could see an interesting deal happening. If not, then Toronto will have to run it back with him, there's no alternative. Basically need one of Marner/Tavares to be ready to move on or they are stuck in this limbo.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I'm saying Doughty last won a cup a decade (in seasons) ago.

Doughty today is not as good as Doughty in 2014. Doughty was drafted in the same draft as Karlsson who was traded for basically nothing. The notion that Doughty today with his current contract is more valuable than Marner is ridiculous.

Oh I guess I missed that part. Can't see the Kings ever trading Doughty anyway, though he's the type of player Toronto needs (preferably a younger version). I wouldn't say Doughty is more valuable but it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges with them playing different positions/roles, Marner having one year left and other factors.

MajorWeber

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc
Leafs fans are about to be shocked. If he returns anything I can't see it being much. Leafs can't retain much and try to compete at the same time. His NMC limits the teams that can trade for him. Amongst those teams not many will be able to afford him under their cap nor will pay a ransom to get him for a year. If the fans see him being soft in the playoffs, GMs around the league can also see this. Will they give up the farm or a big piece for a playoff ghost? IMO I doubt it.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
What can the Wings offer to get Marner (without retention) + Knies?

To Detroit: Marner + Knies + 2nd

To Toronto: 1st + Berg + Rass + JT/Copp + ???

/dodgetomatoes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad