Mitch Marner the next Yakupov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
This is absolutely silly, he'll get at least 50 points this year, more than yakupov will ever get in a season. If that's your sophomore slump season, you're not a bust

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Don't think it's fair to say that yet but it's still concerning that Marner has just 2 goals this season and Nylander only has 5. What gives?

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Don't think it's fair to say that yet but it's still concerning that Marner has just 2 goals this season and Nylander only has 5. What gives?

Not for a lack of trying. I believe they are both shooting at ~2%, which obviously won't hold up.

Marner has been off an on this season. To me, it seems like he decided he wanted to be a goalscorer and not a playmaker this year. He holds the puck too long to take it into scoring areas, but doesn't have a good enough shot to get through the defenders/goalie. I would be really surprised if Marner ever scored significantly more than 20 goals in a year. Marner's specialty is playmaking, but he has been trying to be a scorer - which isn't a strength of his.

Nylander looked amazing for the first 8 games of the season, and then has kinda faded at even strength with only flashes. He is a great possession player, but he sometimes goes stretches looking very disinterested and ineffective. Not sure what he needs to do to get back on track, but he had similar instances in his early career and AHL and he always rebounded in a big way.

Reactions: Fixxer and Voight

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Have you watched Mitch Marner at all lately?

You don’t know what you’re talking about. You haven’t been watching, or don’t understand what you’re looking at.

Marner is playing very well lately.

Reactions: Mugzy97

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Pretty impressive that the Leafs are performing as well as they have been with Nylander and Marner slumping. When those 2 get going, that team is going to be tough to beat. Especially if Andersson can play like he did last night.

Reactions: Kelly

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Watch Marner play. Kid oozes skill. His best asset is his playmaking, that never goes away. He'll be fine.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I dislike the Leaf hype train as much as the next guy... But let me know when Marner is on his 3rd team with a career high of 33 pts after 6 years in the league.

Nail is embarrassing.

Reactions: Voight

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Is it even worth acknowledging this post? Why not.

Marner's shooting at 2% 5on5 and is still on pace for slightly below 50 points while playing alongside Bozak who is having his worst season in a decade. He's a 20 year old line driver and the best player on a line with two other veterans, one of which is a 30-30 player. Despite playing very well he's snake bitten and slumping pretty hard not for a lack of chances. When the dam breaks and things go the other way he'll finish around 60 points again, give or take. As a sophomore, the book is out and teams are keying on him, but he is still as effective with his overall play, it's just the puck isn't going in the net.

He'd be the best winger in Edmonton bar none.

Reactions: glue

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Have you watched Mitch Marner at all lately?

You don’t know what you’re talking about. You haven’t been watching, or don’t understand what you’re looking at.

Marner is playing very well lately.

Look at the OP's history. Watching Marner (or any Leaf, for that matter) before forming a negative opinion is unnecessary. All opinions are formed based on the player's attire, which tells you a lot about the OP's opinions.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I certainly wouldn't call him a bust or Yakupov as of yet, but 2 goals more than 1/3 of the way through the season has to be mildly concerning. For leafs fans,what do you attribute this to? Is it a change in role, linemates, nagging injury, fitness? I am anything but a leafs fan, but do watch them as they are very entertaining. Nylander hasn't produced to expectations either, but he still looks very strong on the ice. There have been a number of games that I didn't notice Marner on the ice at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad