Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 3 (Warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Continue on,

The old thread just hit the limit and there's undoubtedly going to be a ton of talk around him in the coming weeks with the Finals being over. Post all rumors, speculation, and proposals here.

Enough of the fanbase bickering and off-topic diversions. This thread isn't about the Raptors or Knicks or parades and there's been enough bickering. If you feel a user is trolling, please report it so that a moderator can look into it. There'll be thread bans and/or warnings if this keeps happening.

Last edited:

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Can someone give me the TLDR on the Marner contract saga?

There's not much to tell, Marner supposedly is looking for something close to the Matthews contract. The media is in a frenzy because it's the off season with talk about him being offer sheeted.

Marner's camp is supposedly going to meet other teams and Dubas has stated that he won't just match every offer.

Nothing has really changed and very little is being reported that isn't just speculation.

Reactions: Beville and Crease

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
The more I think about it, are there any other teams that could reasonably offer sheet Marner without completely f***ing their team?

The Habs have the cap space to add an LD (Gardiner) as well as offer-sheet Marner ... with Shaw/Byron being movable contracts, and Alzner being close to expire they could do it without hurting their future contracts (Domi/Drouin/KK)

The Habs have the U22 pool (Romanov, Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield, Kotkaniemi, Mete, Struble, Teasdale, Fleury, Primeau) large enough to give up four first round picks without it hurting their future.

And most importantly, they're a team that has the core in place to contend with an addition like Marner.

What other teams could reasonably offer sheet Marner? Florida doesn't have the prospect depth to give up the 1st rounders, Detroit isn't a good enough team for Marner to do much, Buffalo has too many holes in their roster to all-in on Marner ...

The only team I can think of is New Jersey, but I still think they would need to add a much better goaltender + some more.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Would love to see an offer sheet of 10.5 x 5 to keep the compensation low. Leafs will match it though. Also can't see MB doing something like that.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The more I think about it, are there any other teams that could reasonably offer sheet Marner without completely ****ing their team?

The Habs have the cap space to add an LD (Gardiner) as well as offer-sheet Marner ... with Shaw/Byron being movable contracts, and Alzner being close to expire they could do it without hurting their future contracts (Domi/Drouin/KK)

The Habs have the U22 pool (Romanov, Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield, Kotkaniemi, Mete, Struble, Teasdale, Fleury, Primeau) large enough to give up four first round picks without it hurting their future.

And most importantly, they're a team that has the core in place to contend with an addition like Marner.

What other teams could reasonably offer sheet Marner? Florida doesn't have the prospect depth to give up the 1st rounders, Detroit isn't a good enough team for Marner to do much, Buffalo has too many holes in their roster to all-in on Marner ...

The only team I can think of is New Jersey, but I still think they would need to add a much better goaltender + some more.
Colorado, Carolina and the Islanders can possibly offersheet Marner. I am sure there are more teams. According to Dubas he may not match the offersheets depending on compensation. So, offer a high enough number and teams can potentially get him.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Colorado has 38m in cap space with Rantanen and Zadorov appearing to be the big RFA names left to sign (I'll admit my ignorance on the rest of their roster).

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I find it incredibly amusing that suddenly after signing in Toronto, after almost a decade of Tavares being a franchise player who put up elite production and elevated the play and production of almost every single line-mate to play with him, Tavares is suddenly being carried despite putting up his usual production, and Marner, who saw the single biggest point increase on the line (25), is carrying him.

Weird how that happens.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Colorado, Carolina and the Islanders can possibly offersheet Marner. I am sure there are more teams. According to Dubas he may not match the offersheets depending on compensation. So, offer a high enough number and teams can potentially get him.

Colorado doesn't make much sense --- they have Rantanen to resign, and while Marner is a great add, they are a team who desperately need to address their C depth and their secondary scoring; so I just don't see them doing it, especially not at the cost of 4 1sts when their offensive prospect pool is pretty shallow.

Carolina similarly is in desperate need of C depth; they definitely have the prospects to go without their 1sts and I wouldn't count them out, but they can't front-load the deal like Toronto or Montreal could, which is why I foresee that being a short conversation. Does their owner really want to pay mega bucks for Marner when he is trying to get away paying Aho so little?

Islanders are another team that do make good sense with the run they made last year, as well as with what they have available in terms of cap and team space ... doesn't hurt to have the prospect pool they have either, but do they have the secondary scoring and defensive corps to justify dumping that much on a winger?

I imagine anything over 10.5 the Leafs let happen --- Marner is worth a f*** ton more than the compensation for a sub 10.5 contract, but if they're going to get four 1sts I imagine they let him go.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Colorado has 38m in cap space with Rantanen and Zadorov appearing to be the big RFA names left to sign (I'll admit my ignorance on the rest of their roster).

I just can't see a team who's starting goaltender is Grubaeur or who's best forwards after their main 3 are Jost/Compher/Kerfoot would have the balls to give up four 1st round picks for Marner, who would be playing with two "good but not great" players

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Love seeing outsiders prop up Marner's value because it **** the Leafs and gets the media going.

It's almost July 1st Dubas, you made a guarantee in case you forgot...tick tock.

That is ridicules. So what? He changes we can and we will to we tried and we didn't. It will only carry weight on the board. Anyway, it is not over yet.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I mean I guess its possible but why would you want Marner when you could offer sheet a better player like point. This is what has never been explained to me. If the insane demands from Marner's camp are true why would you want to pay him 12 million a year when you could get a 40 goal scoring 23 year old center instead?

Tampa has maneuvered around the cap already; they won't have any issues re-upping Point.

Calgary has enough disposable assets with how deep they are defensively to free up the space for Tkachuk.

The only other player I foresee being reasonably OS'd is Aho, but I really can't imagine Carolina lets their only C worth anything walk for draft picks.

Toronto doesn't have any disposable assets --- for better or worse, they have no "bad but movable" deals anymore, now that Marleau is gone outside of Zaitsev who is an actual boat anchor.

Toronto can't pay the price to move Zaitsev, and to free up the space to pay Marner at that big dollar amount (lets call it 11m) they would have to move a very good player and bring no cap back, which is a problem for a team that already is pretty poor in their own end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad