Mississippi Seawolves returning to ECHL based on trademark filings.

hockeydude1987

Sep 17, 2021
The kid who designed the final (awful) Mississippi Surge logo runs the Biloxi pro hockey facebook page.

No.. I'm pretty sure anyone with half a brain cell can look at the Pensacola Ice Flyers logo, and the last Mississippi Surge logo and realize that they were both made by the same designer. Very similar wordmarks.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Former Ice Flyers staffer here. The logo may have been inspired by the Ice Flyers' wordmark but that's it. The coloring on the letters was a big trend around that time. A dead giveaway is the execution of the logo. You're trying to tell me the person who did a well-executed shield and jet is the same person who did a blob of a shield and aimless lightning bolts? Also, a professional designer wouldn't use practically the same font for a team in the same league, much less one that's two hours down the road.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Pretty much. He also cheaped out and hired a former member of the Blue Wahoos staff to work for the Ice Flyers then had them pulling double duty for a couple months in Pensacola and Biloxi. She eventually was like "this isn't what I signed up for." There was also the summer that only Jeff Bes was working the front office. Phone lines ringing on end a few times.

"This isn't what I signed up for" is something nearly every minor league staffer says to themselves, usually within the first couple of months. The abuse of staffers by incompetent owners and GMs is pervasive in the industry, and then fans/GMs/etc. will tell you that you should just accept it, you know, because, "you're living your dream."

Bes was such a competent coach, I could hardly believe his genius wouldn't extend to a successful tenure in the front office! (sarcasm)

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Wonder if they'll really play. Fans watching exhibition hockey is just one tent pole needed to prop up a permanent circus.
They're already further along than Bloomington Illinois. At least there was an exhibition game actually played in Biloxi

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
They're already further along than Bloomington Illinois. At least there was an exhibition game actually played in Biloxi
FACT CHECK: Awright, so the 3rd scheduled FPHL exhibition featuring Port Huron & Danville @ Grossinger Motors Arena in Bloomington, IL on March 21st, 2020 was indeed cancelled due to ... well, you know, double-check that date ... . But are you saying further that the two games between Carolina & Danbury that me 'n' Mrs. JMC attended in Bloomy on a bitter cold weekend in early January 2020 were all just a bad dream? OK, so maybe that's not the right way to put it with The Fed & The BLH Boyz involved, but still. :whatever:

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
FACT CHECK: Awright, so the 3rd scheduled FPHL exhibition featuring Port Huron & Danville @ Grossinger Motors Arena in Bloomington, IL on March 21st, 2020 was indeed cancelled due to ... well, you know, double-check that date ... . But are you saying further that the two games between Carolina & Danbury that me 'n' Mrs. JMC attended in Bloomy on a bitter cold weekend in early January 2020 were all just a bad dream? OK, so maybe that's not the right way to put it with The Fed & The BLH Boyz involved, but still. :whatever:
:facepalm: Whoops I thought it was just the one game that was canceled that was scheduled there in Bloomington.

Af77

Sep 23, 2020
Does anyone know if Biloxi is officially heading to the Fed or could the SPHL still be in play?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Does anyone know if Biloxi is officially heading to the Fed or could the SPHL still be in play?

Nothing is official yet. Despite the highly misleading article titles, Biloxi hasn't been officially been given anything other than those neutral-site games.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
We'll see how they do when they have to go up against shitty arena dates and the novelty has again worn off. It's easy enough to draw 7,000 for a couple of one-off games on weekend nights when the market hasn't seen hockey in years. It's quite another to have to polish the turd that is the FPHL over and over again and sell tickets to yet another game against Columbus on a Thursday night in January.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
We'll see how they do when they have to go up against shitty arena dates and the novelty has again worn off. It's easy enough to draw 7,000 for a couple of one-off games on weekend nights when the market hasn't seen hockey in years. It's quite another to have to polish the turd that is the FPHL over and over again and sell tickets to yet another game against Columbus on a Thursday night in January.
A Thursday night in December would require even more elbow grease.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Does the Fed play many week night games?

They don't, typically, but the Mississippi Coast Coliseum will undoubtedly force them into a few. It's a 9,300 seat building run by a public commission that is well known to be on the take. The building will continue to get concerts and other things on weekends that'll push hockey games to less than prime time as much as possible.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad