Mississauga to Brampton

the dog

May 16, 2014
Cornwall would of been better choice
And if Chatham could ever build a new arena.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Cornwall would of been better choice
And if Chatham could ever build a new arena.
From what I understand Cornwall doesn't have a suitable arena. And if you're going to do a big move like that you're going to have to go through the hassle of replacing staff and tossing more money into marketing. Moving to Brampton is smart business. They likely will like very few if any season ticket holders , they get to keep their staff, and I'm betting they have a much better arena deal.

Reactions: Roadhog

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's basically in the same market. Has the same issues as Sauga. Maybe they'll be able to pull more people in from the hockey-mad people in Vaughan (while making them more distant from Oakville/Burlington). But, they've been playing forever out near Airport Land. Both are/were incovenient for anyone in the city of Toronto (outside people in West Etobicoke) or east of the city. I know why they've never tried another team at a real arena within the city (St. Mikes was not a legitimate arena). I saw a pre-season game with the Steelheads/Rangers game a few years ago at the Old Gardens. If it was centrally located I'd try to go to a few, hell if they found a place in Vaughan near where the Subway line ends I might go. But, no chance am I trying to go out where the Steelheads are currently located or where they are moving unless someone is paying me.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Population of Brampton and Mississauga combined is just shy of 1.5mil. What could go wrong?

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
This will likely just be a temporary move until things get figured out with Hamilton-Brantford.

It’s official: Mississauga Steelheads hockey club moving to Brampton​

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
This will likely just be a temporary move until things get figured out with Hamilton-Brantford.

It’s official: Mississauga Steelheads hockey club moving to Brampton​

Thank you for posting this. As suspected, Mississauga was going to jack up the rent and Brampton gave them a sweet deal.

This is a great business move.

Reactions: Roadhog

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
In reading all of the news around the Steelheads relocating. I have concluded a few things that when you take all the nitpicky details out and stand back and look at this a whole it makes you wonder how much longer the GTA in general can support a OHL team.

For starters looking at where they are on the map it's right in the heart of Toronto Maple Leafs country this is a huge hurdle for any team in or around the GTA to compete in any hockey league that has teams in that area. Secondly no matter how successful a franchise is the demographic of people in that region still has a wide variety of sporting attractions that they could go and see whether it is the Leafs, Marlies, Toronto FC, Blue Jays, or Argonauts, and yes even though these are other sports the answer many people still consider the GTA to be very much Leafs town or "Leafs Nation".

So right off the hop any major junior or lower level of these sports is still very much an afterthought for fans. Plus if we take into account the recent success of the Leafs of late you have to ask yourself is this just the natural progression of junior hockey. Take the Brampton Battalion for example they had decent teams and an okay fanbase for my years in Brampton and to no fault of those diehard fans who supported them when they were there, but the natural progression that these cities couldn't supported multiple of franchises within a stones throw of each other was inevitable.

Now flash forward to today inflation on prices have went up and we all know the bigger the facility the more staff you have to pay for on top of rent and upkeep of these facilities to league standards. At what point in time does any owner of a team in or around the GTA start asking themselves maybe there is another market somewhere where the rent is more manageable and the fanbase will thrive.

Take North Bay for example, yes they don't have the biggest or newest facilities there in the Northern Gateway city but what they do have is a market that works well for where they are they get a decent local fanbase who supports them and 3 decent rivalries in other markets that are within a reasonably close proximity to them be it Sudbury, Barrie or even Sault Ste Marie.

Hopefully at the end of the day this move will distance the Steelheads far enough away from Leafs Nation and that they continue in the OHL as a GTA based franchise for the near future.

Reactions: stealth1

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
In reading all of the news around the Steelheads relocating. I have concluded a few things that when you take all the nitpicky details out and stand back and look at this a whole it makes you wonder how much longer the GTA in general can support a OHL team.

For starters looking at where they are on the map it's right in the heart of Toronto Maple Leafs country this is a huge hurdle for any team in or around the GTA to compete in any hockey league that has teams in that area. Secondly no matter how successful a franchise is the demographic of people in that region still has a wide variety of sporting attractions that they could go and see whether it is the Leafs, Marlies, Toronto FC, Blue Jays, or Argonauts, and yes even though these are other sports the answer many people still consider the GTA to be very much Leafs town or "Leafs Nation".

So right off the hop any major junior or lower level of these sports is still very much an afterthought for fans. Plus if we take into account the recent success of the Leafs of late you have to ask yourself is this just the natural progression of junior hockey. Take the Brampton Battalion for example they had decent teams and an okay fanbase for my years in Brampton and to no fault of those diehard fans who supported them when they were there, but the natural progression that these cities couldn't supported multiple of franchises within a stones throw of each other was inevitable.

Now flash forward to today inflation on prices have went up and we all know the bigger the facility the more staff you have to pay for on top of rent and upkeep of these facilities to league standards. At what point in time does any owner of a team in or around the GTA start asking themselves maybe there is another market somewhere where the rent is more manageable and the fanbase will thrive.

Take North Bay for example, yes they don't have the biggest or newest facilities there in the Northern Gateway city but what they do have is a market that works well for where they are they get a decent local fanbase who supports them and 3 decent rivalries in other markets that are within a reasonably close proximity to them be it Sudbury, Barrie or even Sault Ste Marie.

Hopefully at the end of the day this move will distance the Steelheads far enough away from Leafs Nation and that they continue in the OHL as a GTA based franchise for the near future.
The arenas are realistically 10 mins away from each other -- this move won't accomplish that. The demographics in that area have changed dramatically in the past 15-20 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00