Mississauga Steelheads to relocate to Brampton?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Looks Iike a trademark for Brampton Steelheads have been filed.

The two arenas are about 7km apart. Apparently getting a better lease in Brampton since they don't have a major tennant. Raptors 905 play in Mississauga's arena. Paramount Fine Foods Centre...I still call it Hershey

Reactions: DaveG

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I doubt this will help attendance if that's been a concern. The Battalion didn't get much support and not much has changed.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
So… is this the shortest-distance relocation in history?

Depends on whether you consider the New York Americans becoming the Brooklyn Americans a relocation.

More seriously, the Montreal Juniors of the 1970s became the Verdun Juniors in 1982, which Google Maps says was a roughly 3.5km relocation (didn't even leave the island). At least that time they moved arenas though.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'd say that rebranding counts as a relocation.

So, for instance, if the Bears move to Arlington Heights, that's not a relocation, as they'll assuredly still be the Chicago Bears.

Meanwhile, the Nets move to Brooklyn was clearly a relocation, even though as the crow flies the Bears would be moving further.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'd say that rebranding counts as a relocation.

So, for instance, if the Bears move to Arlington Heights, that's not a relocation, as they'll assuredly still be the Chicago Bears.

Meanwhile, the Nets move to Brooklyn was clearly a relocation, even though as the crow flies the Bears would be moving further.
That feels like a stretch. Are the Boston Patriots moving to Foxboro any more of a relocation than the Niners moving to Santa Clara, just because of a name change?

I wouldn't consider the Nets to be a relocation either. They didn't leave the area that they hold territorial rights to (that they paid the Knicks for, twice). Same market, same TV deal.

Reactions: oknazevad and DaveG

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think New Jerseyans... ites? ... Garden Staters would disagree with the idea that a specifically New Jersey-branded team moving to the city and rechristening itself after a borough wasn't a relocation, tbqh.

The Boston Patriots example is a good counterpoint, as I would say that was more of a rebranding than a relocation, so the venn diagram between the two obviously doesn't fully overlap at the very least. I'd likewise not say that the Phoenix to Arizona Coyotes wasn't a relocation, after all.

But the GTA suburbs seem to act like they're their own markets when it comes to the OHL, so while if a theoretical NHL team was making an identical move we wouldn't consider that a relocation, but I think that the difference in scale and reach for the OHL does.

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
The Bulldogs temporary relocation is further than this.
Neither here nor there but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Bulldogs never leave. Brantford is a much better hockey town than Hamilton and is probably cheaper long term so long as Brantford actually pulls the trigger on modernizing/enlarging their arena.

Mississauga probably would have looked into relocating to Brantford had the Bulldogs already done so. The issue with teams in the GTA is it costs so much to run the teams there and there isn’t the same type of community loyalty around a team that the smaller cities have. There’s a reason there’s only three teams in the GTA and two of those are outer suburbs (Barrie and Oshawa) that more of an independent indemnity and long team histories.

Reactions: DoyleG and GKJ

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I think New Jerseyans... ites? ... Garden Staters would disagree with the idea that a specifically New Jersey-branded team moving to the city and rechristening itself after a borough wasn't a relocation, tbqh.

The Boston Patriots example is a good counterpoint, as I would say that was more of a rebranding than a relocation, so the venn diagram between the two obviously doesn't fully overlap at the very least. I'd likewise not say that the Phoenix to Arizona Coyotes wasn't a relocation, after all.

But the GTA suburbs seem to act like they're their own markets when it comes to the OHL, so while if a theoretical NHL team was making an identical move we wouldn't consider that a relocation, but I think that the difference in scale and reach for the OHL does.
As a New Jerseyan and longtime Nets fan, I don't consider the move to Brooklyn a relocation. Same market. Same TV station. Just take a different train to get there. (And pay more. Brooklyn is definitely more expensive than when they were in the Meadowlands!)

But you also makes very good point about the difference between say juniors/minors and the major league teams. Teams in the lower levels have a far smaller sense of local area than the major league teams. That why you can get multiple minor league teams in a single metro area, as each takes its own small slice, while the major league team is the whole pie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad