Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
That was a must win game against Niagara last night and although we had lots of shots on goal the outcome was very much in doubt. They will need a much better effort in Brantford tomorrow if they want home ice advantage in round 1.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Crazy year in the East standing wise, going to be something seeing the last few games play out for the top 6 teams, not too mention the eastern playoff rounds to follow. Hoping they do get home ice for round one but getting Martone back would matter more.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Crazy year in the East standing wise, going to be something seeing the last few games play out for the top 6 teams, not too mention the eastern playoff rounds to follow. Hoping they do get home ice for round one but getting Martone back would matter more.
Not sure if you saw the team photo from the locker room after the Niagara game posted on Instagram. Martone seems to be purposely hiding his left hand.

Attachments

• IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Not sure if you saw the team photo from the locker room after the Niagara game posted on Instagram. Martone seems to be purposely hiding his left hand.

I don't do instagram of facebook, Thanks for posting that.

Going into todays game, the OHL playoff tracker had the top 6 teams in the Easy as listed possible finishes as anywhere through first to sixth, all 6 of them. :laugh: The regulation 2 points today in Brantford means a lot not just for the Steelheads but has major ramifications for all the teams in the mix. Huge road win in a tough building, though Brantford will be a tough beast when they get their injured back.

Ivank does not look like a rookie and I'd be leaning toward him going into the playoffs. Nice tandem considering Leenders will be NHL drafted this summer.

Team seems to be hitting a peak at the right time...

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Looks like Martone may play tonight.

He's in the line up on the top line with Karmiris and MacDonnell. Hopefully he's 100 % ready and there is no set back or any re-occurrence, the playoffs are an important strep, especially if they can win a series.

Expected the East being weaker this season, but for them to be this close to a div title this year is encouraging going forward.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...so with the move up the road Steelheads are hoping to pick up fans in Brampton that do not already follow hockey....we]ll see

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Home ice for the first round, who wouldn't take that position a few months ago for a team that is supposed to peak over the next two years.

Not predicting a series win, Wolves should have the fire power but I think Sauga could advance to the next round. I'd have to put the checkmark in favour of Sauga when it comes to goaltending, otherwise I see Sudbury having an edge pretty much every where else, except coaching. Could be a fun series as both teams take a lot of penalties.

Who starts in goal? IvanK would be my initial guess as I feel better about him in net but he's a rookie and didn't have a good game against Sudbury last time he played them, not that one game is a be all end all, but I think you go with Leenders, soon to be NHL drafted and has seen the playoffs. Either way I'm looking forward to playoff hockey, should be a good series, this season is a step, we as fans are watching the future of what the next year or so can be.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Home ice for the first round, who wouldn't take that position a few months ago for a team that is supposed to peak over the next two years.

Not predicting a series win, Wolves should have the fire power but I think Sauga could advance to the next round. I'd have to put the checkmark in favour of Sauga when it comes to goaltending, otherwise I see Sudbury having an edge pretty much every where else, except coaching. Could be a fun series as both teams take a lot of penalties.

Who starts in goal? IvanK would be my initial guess as I feel better about him in net but he's a rookie and didn't have a good game against Sudbury last time he played them, not that one game is a be all end all, but I think you go with Leenders, soon to be NHL drafted and has seen the playoffs. Either way I'm looking forward to playoff hockey, should be a good series, this season is a step, we as fans are watching the future of what the next year or so can be.
Missy the edge in goaltending

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

Hey spider, I might be coming down for a game. From what I’m looking at it doesn’t look like there should be any problem walking up to the gate right? Also, where do you said maybe I could come and say hello.

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
Hey spider, I might be coming down for a game. From what I’m looking at it doesn’t look like there should be any problem walking up to the gate right? Also, where do you said maybe I could come and say hello.
I'm sure things haven't changed, but I went for the sweep in 2019. There was no problem getting tickets.
P.S.: my buddy was the one who threw the broom on the ice that broke into a bunch of tiny pieces haha

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
There's playoff hockey for you, looked like a entirely different game from the last two visits the Wolves had recently. Sudbury certainly had the better chances, Leenders had a great game against the Sudbury shutout with the exception of the first one.

Not as much ice out there during the playoffs and it showed, Sudbury had Sauga largely contained, the Wolves looked like an entirely different team.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
There's playoff hockey for you, looked like a entirely different game from the last two visits the Wolves had recently. Sudbury certainly had the better chances, Leenders had a great game against the Sudbury shutout with the exception of the first one.

Not as much ice out there during the playoffs and it showed, Sudbury had Sauga largely contained, the Wolves looked like an entirely different team.
Right it really was a question of who the hell is that team? Something definitely changed, you gotta wonder if Berehowsky’s influence has been felt to that degree already. Richmond is an excellent coach, you’d have to think he will try to make some adjustments. Real curious to see what the Steelheads’ response will be, Let’s face it things would definitely not look good for them coming up north into the Wolves den down two games. OK, just might see you in Sauga 👍 where do you sit? Any identifying markers 😉

Reactions: Tarantula

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Yes, BUT… be forewarned that the ticket agents are notoriously slow and it takes approximately 300-400 computer clicks to generate 1 ticket.

We were there for the last Oshawa game and it did seem to take forever to get tickets. I thought it was just an incompetent person who couldn’t figure out how to operate the computer - - didn’t realize it was an issue across the board. It’s not as if they had a hard time finding available seats.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Game 3 lines, Misa on LW, MacDonell at C and Martone at RW. 2nd line has Kamiris at centre flanked by Zebeski and Loukus.
Third line has Zedlicky on the left and Whitkowski on the right with Van Voulson at centre. Only have Richmond and Eggleton for the 4th line so we should a some mix and match depending on how the game unfolds.

Starting minder is Ivank with Paolini backing up. Scratches, Leenders, Boudreau, and Chiarot who is suspended for the two games in Sudbury.

Leenders and Boudreau are injured so it could a mess of a game for a team in a must win situation.

Reactions: Roadhog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad