Mississauga Steelheads 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
JVV on the wing first line, Martone second line. Ivan K between the pipes and Leskovar back, on second pairing.

Petes aren't the same team since the deadline but wouldn't surprise me giving Sauga a handfull tonight.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
That was a PP buffet served up by the Steelheads to start the game last night and Barrie benefitted. Good thing the Sauga PP was good last night, staking the opposition to two early goals isn't an easy hill to climb.

Speaking of PP, 12 Loukus has been on a tear since they switched it up, and this team needs to score more consistently to take some pressure off the tending.

It's been three weeks that Zebeski has been out, any info on a possible return? At least JVV has been making good use of his opportunity since the absence.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
That was a PP buffet served up by the Steelheads to start the game last night and Barrie benefitted. Good thing the Sauga PP was good last night, staking the opposition to two early goals isn't an easy hill to climb.

Speaking of PP, 12 Loukus has been on a tear since they switched it up, and this team needs to score more consistently to take some pressure off the tending.

It's been three weeks that Zebeski has been out, any info on a possible return? At least JVV has been making good use of his opportunity since the absence.
I heard talk that Zebeski is recovering from mononucleosis.

Great to see Karmiris get a goal. He has been playing so well lately and not getting the rewards. Hopefully this opens the floodgates and they get scoring from a second line (Karmiris-Angus-JVV) takes the load off of Misa-Martone-whoever

Steel Fishbowl

Jan 22, 2018
Team has been playing great recently, I was able to make it out to their games against Kitchener and Owen Sound.

Played extremely well against 2 older teams with contention hopes (although I'm confused as to what exactly they are doing in OS). Once they settled down, they really took it to the Rangers and were lucky to come away with one point. Against the Attack they played a much more structured game and were only threated by the Attack's lethal powerplay.

Saw Zebeski take warmups so he must be close to returning. And Ivankovic has been outplaying Leenders as of late....something to keep an eye on as we get closer to the playoffs

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Team has been playing great recently, I was able to make it out to their games against Kitchener and Owen Sound.

Played extremely well against 2 older teams with contention hopes (although I'm confused as to what exactly they are doing in OS). Once they settled down, they really took it to the Rangers and were lucky to come away with one point. Against the Attack they played a much more structured game and were only threated by the Attack's lethal powerplay.

Saw Zebeski take warmups so he must be close to returning. And Ivankovic has been outplaying Leenders as of late....something to keep an eye on as we get closer to the playoffs
I said to my buddy the OS power play looks NHL caliber.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Ok, Niagara is not the best measuring stick, but all 4 lines looked very good last night.
Zebeski-Chiarot-Boudreau in particular looks like a very good blue collar line that might be very uncomfortable to play against in the playoffs.
Karmiris continues to improve and he seems to be great for Angus. That line with Loukus is dangerous and takes pressure off Misa-Martone to score all the goals.

I thought the only player to struggle was Eggleton.
Great bounce back game for Leenders.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Ok, Niagara is not the best measuring stick, but all 4 lines looked very good last night.
Zebeski-Chiarot-Boudreau in particular looks like a very good blue collar line that might be very uncomfortable to play against in the playoffs.
Karmiris continues to improve and he seems to be great for Angus. That line with Loukus is dangerous and takes pressure off Misa-Martone to score all the goals.

I thought the only player to struggle was Eggleton.
Great bounce back game for Leenders.

Agree with this, Loukus has impressed me for an OA tradeoff from a contender, though Saggy did get a NHL signed player back which made him available. He sure helped on the PP.

Yes, good to see a solid outing for Leenders, with a roadie tonight in Barrie and a return of the Wolves at home tomorrow it will be interesting to see who starts, guessing Ivank tonight and they put Leenders between the pipes tomorrow.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
In Fridays game Dragusica took a double minor. Czata took a minor. MacDonnel was given a game misconduct. This summed up to a 4 minute Niagara power play. How does this make any sense? It should have been a 2 minute Icedog PP.
anyone explain this?

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
In Fridays game Dragusica took a double minor. Czata took a minor. MacDonnel was given a game misconduct. This summed up to a 4 minute Niagara power play. How does this make any sense? It should have been a 2 minute Icedog PP.
anyone explain this?

Good question, I took a look through the game summary and scorers sheet. I watched that part of the game back and Eggleton was also serving two so guess that 2 min cancelled Niagara's minor so the 4 minutes to Drags stood. The broadcast guys seemed confused as well. Eggleton must have been serving 2 for 17 as he got tossed with a misconduct.

Reactions: mtshapcott

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I still didn't see what McDonnell did that warranted his 2 game suspension, league operations sure leave a lot to desire for those that follow it.

Line up posted in about an hour, guessing Leenders starts with his last effort and how things went last game went with the Wolves.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
I still didn't see what McDonnell did that warranted his 2 game suspension, league operations sure leave a lot to desire for those that follow it.

Line up posted in about an hour, guessing Leenders starts with his last effort and how things went last game went with the Wolves.
Maybe it was something he said to a referee?
Anyway, it’s done now and we beat the Wolves without him which I didn’t expect.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Good win in Windsor today. Zidlicky with a big game.
Only 1 regulation loss over the last 11 games.

True, but thanks to the "loser point" in regulation OT the Steelheads haven't made up the kind of ground the recent record would suggest. Seems the teams around them haven't been yielding ground either. The West have the 4 top teams record wise and the second round on should be highly entertaining, to say the least but the Eastern Conference should have some interesting twists and turns right from the start.

Reactions: Roadhog

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
As of this writing, Brantford and Sudbury seem to be imploding. Oshawa the new conference leader…wow

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
As of this writing, Brantford and Sudbury seem to be imploding. Oshawa the new conference leader…wow

Brantford is short a few guys, I see them being a tough team to beat in a playoff series. Sudbury scores a ton but they have to, no Wolves lead seems to be safe the last few weeks. Oshawa slumped a bit a few weeks ago but they've rebounded at the right time.

Sure is going to be worth watching how the East top 6 teams play out their schedule and how things get lined up for the playoffs, which should be even more entertaining to watch.

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
Has Luke Misa gone MIA? His offensive production seems to have really dropped off. I can’t remember his last goal. The interesting part of this is that the team is enjoying their best stretch of the entire year.

Reactions: Tarantula

mtshapcott

Feb 12, 2019
This is crazy
IMG_0899.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad