Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
If the Reaves line is on the ice when the Wilson line is on the ice I think the Caps will take that every day.

I just came in here to say that I don't dislike the Flyers at all and love that we have the same common enemy. It is cool to see so many of you guys rooting for Ovechkin to get that Cup. I would be doing the same for Giroux if the roles were reversed.

Get a goaltender next season and they very easily could be.
Wilson’s line will eat Reeves’ line for breakfast all day everyday, and I’m all aboard the Ovi winning a cup train, it’s hard not to like him, go Caps!!!

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Wilson’s line will eat Reeves’ line for breakfast all day everyday, and I’m all aboard the Ovi winning a cup train, it’s hard not to like him, go Caps!!!

Agreed and full disclosure I love Ivan Provorov (so I love your username). During his draft year I was blown away that he didn't go right after McDavid and Eichel. Imagine if the Leafs had taken him or Werenski at 4, they would actually be on their way to a competent defense. :laugh:

Will be a real treat to watch him during his career.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Either Hextall valued his contributions or he didn't. Can't have it both ways because you don't think anything matters until we cross the International Date Line.

His contract was up. Giving him a raise and a multi-year deal suggests that he was more than satisfied. He doesn't have to be part of the long-term core to be evaluated on the ice.

Hextall was going to lose a forward (he didn't expect MacDonald to be claimed).
Signing PEB was insurance, Cousins was traded I think because Weal was similar but had more upside.
But they were thin at forward going into the ED, so PEB on a cheap deal meant one more body (and Ron wasn't sure Raffl would bounce back).
Who else gets claimed other than PEB, Weal, Raffl, Read, Weise?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They could have signed someone else (cheap) in free agency or promoted from within. The options weren’t limited to those on the roster the previous year.

Getting PEB taken was a possibility, not a given. He wanted him on that contract. There’s no getting around that part.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They could have signed someone else (cheap) in free agency or promoted from within. The options weren’t limited to those on the roster the previous year.

Getting PEB taken was a possibility, not a given. He wanted him on that contract. There’s no getting around that part.

Promoted whom? We saw who they promoted.
Who were you going to sign as cheap who was better?
Yes, Ron wanted PEB as cheap depth, because he was as good or better than any available alternatives.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Promoted whom? We saw who they promoted.
Who were you going to sign as cheap who was better?
Yes, Ron wanted PEB as cheap depth, because he was as good or better than any available alternatives.

In thinking about it, I’m not sure it makes sense to go into the specific potential replacements. I believe you see Bellemare’s improved play this year as a sign of it being possible here. I don’t think anything would have changed due to system/style/role/usage/your phrase of choice. It’s difficult to get around that into common ground.

I’m going to mention potential promotions that were behind Ghoulbourne of all people and it’s just rehashing old conversations at that point.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m so incredibly indifferent about this cup finals... I almost don’t even care to watch.

I would typically root against a rival like the Caps, but I do like Ovi enough to balance that out (when we’re not playing them, obviously).

Neither like nor dislike Vegas, I wouldn’t be happy or annoyed to see them win. I’ve posted about them a lot lately, but that was just predicting they won’t keep this up... not that I don’t want them to or that them being good bothers me.

I guess I just want the playoffs to be over so the offseason can start...

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
I’m so incredibly indifferent about this cup finals... I almost don’t even care to watch.

I would typically root against a rival like the Caps, but I do like Ovi enough to balance that out (when we’re not playing them, obviously).

Neither like nor dislike Vegas, I wouldn’t be happy or annoyed to see them win. I’ve posted about them a lot lately, but that was just predicting they won’t keep this up... not that I don’t want them to or that them being good bothers me.

I guess I just want the playoffs to be over so the offseason can start...
Im the opposite. This is the first Cup final I plan on watching in full since 2010. I actually like both teams tbh and I think both home crowds will be insane.

Vegas because theyve had great crowds all year and Caps crowd should be nuts too due to the drought.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Im the opposite. This is the first Cup final I plan on watching in full since 2010. I actually like both teams tbh and I think both home crowds will be insane.

Vegas because theyve had great crowds all year and Caps crowd should be nuts too due to the drought.
As soon as the Flyers are out my level of attention dips. I still watch a bunch of games, but my interest is at a minimum.

In previous years, I was more interested because rooting against the Pens was a no-brainer since there isn’t a single redeeming quality about their team. But these two teams do nothing for me.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Every year there’s a weak division that doesn’t really put up as much of a fight to the team that ends up going to the conference finals. I rather just have a 1-8 seeding & reseed every round based on that like it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad