Miscellaneous NHL Talk, 2018 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I dislike dogs. And a guy making $9.5 million from now until the Rapture can afford a MUCH better Halloween costume that doesn't feature hangdog ears, a mismatched belt, and sewed-on shoulder pads.

Also:

Dale Hunter was a crime against humanity on skates. Go Vegas.

LMAO.....I forgot that incident ...then again Hunter had so many in his career. Those Caps teams were infuriating for a period there. Langway was another one with a Backpfeifengesicht (German for a face that needs to be punched or slapped)

nhl_g_langway01jr_1296x729.jpg

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Another reminder of PoS Dale Hunter. Screw the Caps!

Some justice...

Gawd how I miss the intensity of those days thanks to Hakstooge...

What a hoot Pete. All that intensity is still going on and konecny, hagg, gudas still take the body but the rest of the team is soft. That's not on the coach to have that much sissy shit on one team .

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
What a hoot Pete. All that intensity is still going on and konecny, hagg, gudas still take the body but the rest of the team is soft. That's not on the coach to have that much sissy **** on one team .
There is still hitting but c'mon the game is not the same. It was more raw in those days with fighting. Hunter like goonery, intimidation, etc etc. It added to all the intensity. One can argue the game has evolved to protect players and showcase more skill and speed and it is not necessarily a bad thing...just different. Coaches like Hak who play safe hockey however don't help the product...and certainly not the Flyers brand...more like Flyers bland

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
There's actually zero negative to the Knights winning, and it makes other teams look stupid to boot.
The problem is there will be more dramatic hyperbole and meltdowns if Vegas wins.

If they win then that means that every team that tried to build through the draft was wrong. On top of that it means that every team needs to try to replicate that style of team building (collecting extra players and banking on them all having unsustainable years at the same time). After all, we’ve been rebuilding for years and are still 15 years away, meanwhile Vegas did a complete rebuild in one offseason!

Apparently people are incredibly gullible when it comes to unsustainable things and always get fooled into thinking it will continue. We’ve seen plenty of examples on here, like Giroux’s bad play last year or Weals good play last year or CBJ last year or Vegas this year and so on.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There is still hitting but c'mon the game is not the same. It was more raw in those days with fighting. Hunter like goonery, intimidation, etc etc. It added to all the intensity. One can argue the game has evolved to protect players and showcase more skill and speed and it is not necessarily a bad thing...just different. Coaches like Hak who play safe hockey however don't help the product...and certainly not the Flyers brand...more like Flyers bland

What Hunter did to Turgeron was a disgraceful moment in NHL history and was far from gooning it up or intimidation

It was an attempt to intentionally inflict a severe injure on Turgeron

IMO the only things worse then that hit in recent sports history are Charles Martin destroying Jim McMahon's shoulder and essentially ruining his career with vile cheap shot and the Bertuzzi incident

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
The problem is there will be more dramatic hyperbole and meltdowns if Vegas wins.

If they win then that means that every team that tried to build through the draft was wrong. On top of that it means that every team needs to try to replicate that style of team building (collecting extra players and banking on them all having unsustainable years at the same time). After all, we’ve been rebuilding for years and are still 15 years away, meanwhile Vegas did a complete rebuild in one offseason!

Apparently people are incredibly gullible when it comes to unsustainable things and always get fooled into thinking it will continue. We’ve seen plenty of examples on here, like Giroux’s bad play last year or Weals good play last year or CBJ last year or Vegas this year and so on.

it's not like every cup team in this generation had players under the age of 22 to win a stanley cup, you need experience players to win and get far, it's always been that way, that's why every cup contender tries to go after vets at the deadline because more experience the better. it just means gms have to stop relying on young players to save your team, that's why teams take steps back because of their inexperience. you can have young players just not 8 or 9 of them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't know how safe Hakstol really is, we'll find out as this team adds talent.
When you have to play guys like Filppula and MacDonald . . .
And a lot of the young guys are too raw to know when to take chances, or why so many around the league were MIA in the playoffs.

The scheme certainly encourages defensemen to take chances, which is how they were 2nd in goals scored by defensemen, and players like MacDonald and Manning were in the top 50 in PP/60 at 5x5, it obviously wasn't due to their talent.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't know how safe Hakstol really is, we'll find out as this team adds talent.
When you have to play guys like Filppula and MacDonald . . .
And a lot of the young guys are too raw to know when to take chances, or why so many around the league were MIA in the playoffs.

The scheme certainly encourages defensemen to take chances, which is how they were 2nd in goals scored by defensemen, and players like MacDonald and Manning were in the top 50 in PP/60 at 5x5, it obviously wasn't due to their talent.
Fair enough..not going to discount the personnel factor but just don't see Hak as the answer to the 42 year drought nor in general do I like his hockey brand/bland.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I like the scheme on offense, everyone complains about "low - high" but in the NHL, good teams take out your forwards and make it hard to make plays in the danger zones. So getting your defensemen involved in the offense, not just shooting from the point, but attacking the center of the O-zone, is hard to defend and tends to free other players. But it's tough on young players because they have to know when to take chances but not get caught up ice.

One big problem right now with the Flyers is they don't have enough players who go to the net, you want players like Gudas, Hagg, Morin whenever he comes up, to be conservative and just throw it on net, but that requires forwards to set screens and pounce on rebounds. Couts can do this to some extent, Simmonds used to be great, Patrick has great potential in this role due to his hands, adding Allison, Ratcliffe, Bunnaman, Strome will give them more bodies for that role.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Who gives a **** though? What about passion, rivalry, hate, heat?

There's our side and there's their side. The ****ing Caps are their side. I'm not telling you how to be a fan (even though it sounds like I am, and that's only because I'm right), but it seems to me like a good idea to draw a line in the sand, clench your hand into a fist, and fight, and when you can't fight, at least scream and complain and spew vitriol.
this was taken out of hockey when they decided to have the officials be the main stars who decide games

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
it's not like every cup team in this generation had players under the age of 22 to win a stanley cup, you need experience players to win and get far, it's always been that way, that's why every cup contender tries to go after vets at the deadline because more experience the better. it just means gms have to stop relying on young players to save your team, that's why teams take steps back because of their inexperience. you can have young players just not 8 or 9 of them.
I have no clue what this post has to do with what I said...

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad