NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIII: 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs for Thee

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Leafs look like a post-Voracek Vigneault Flyers team through the NZ with the puck. Woof.

Treliving going out & acquiring every player that cannot do anything useful with the puck probably doesn’t help. They can’t move the puck on the backend as a whole which you willingly targeted guys like Lyubushkin & Edmundson at the deadline who are zeros in that department.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
I was marveling how a team with that much talent could be so feckless at moving up ice. And it wasn't like Boston had to work hard. Everything was going wrong before Boston even engaged.

There are many who say they’d rather have the Leafs core as they are contenders. I’d take them too, but only to immediately ship them all out Richards/Carter style for assets. Regular season stars, all of them. Garbage when the stakes are high. How many seasons in a row has this been repeated? Treiv is a moron and the depth pieces haven’t down them any favours, but they aren’t winning anything with these guys. Marner scared to go to any dirty areas is the perfect encapsulation of why..

Say what you want about culture being overstated, but there are guys who are natural born killers built for the playoffs and then there are the Matthews’ and Marners of the world.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
It’s amazing how much of the Toronto narrative changes if their PP doesn’t die in the playoffs.

But you could say that about the Flyers season, too.

Playing Domi and Reaves (with Matthews), and having 3/6 dmen that struggle to make basic passes out of their own zone is the second biggest problem after having a core that consistently fails to show up in the playoffs.

Reactions: BernieParent

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There are many who say they’d rather have the Leafs core as they are contenders. I’d take them too, but only to immediately ship them all out Richards/Carter style for assets. Regular season stars, all of them. Garbage when the stakes are high. How many seasons in a row has this been repeated? Treiv is a moron and the depth pieces haven’t down them any favours, but they aren’t winning anything with these guys. Marner scared to go to any dirty areas is the perfect encapsulation of why..

Say what you want about culture being overstated, but there are guys who are natural born killers built for the playoffs and then there are the Matthews’ and Marners of the world.

This has been said so many times about cores that win.

I think their coaching has looked baffling, and I think that firing the smart GM and then bringing in a bunch of useless plugs (the thing many insist was what the team needed) was a bad idea yielding bad results.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Playing Domi and Reaves (with Matthews), and having 3/6 dmen that struggle to make basic passes out of their own zone is the second biggest problem after having a core that consistently fails to show up in the playoffs.

Toronto has had a good PP that died in the Playoffs. The Flyers at no point had a good PP. What's the similarity?

Reactions: BernieParent

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Matthews alone might be more valuable than what flyers have iced in their last game of the season.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I doubt that the Leafs would give up Matthews; Marner is the one most likely to be moved. I can't see him wanting to come here and deal with Tortorella. As we've seen, the coach is not a fan of skills guys.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

They don't consistently fail to show up. Usually their core is the only thing that shows up. And they've downgraded their depth instead of building it

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
While I can’t stand the Bruins and their imbecile southie fans, watching the Leafs fail spectacularly yet again is just so much fun.

I doubt that the Leafs would give up Matthews; Marner is the one most likely to be moved. I can't see him wanting to come here and deal with Tortorella. As we've seen, the coach is not a fan of skills guys.
Why would any skilled player want to come to Philly? I mean sure, you get to play for a narcissistic child and, if you’re lucky, you get to play on a line with notable players like Poehling, Laughton, Cates and/or Hathaway, but other than that….

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
While I can’t stand the Bruins and their imbecile southie fans, watching the Leafs fail spectacularly yet again is just so much fun.

Why would any skilled player want to come to Philly? I mean sure, you get to play for a narcissistic child and, if you’re lucky, you get to play on a line with notable players like Poehling, Laughton, Cates and/or Hathaway, but other than that….
It's truly a mystery why Gauthier wanted to play for a different organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad