NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CII: Post-Trade Deadline Edition (POLL: Pick the 2024 Cup winner) -- consolidated transactions threads in OP

Now Who is Your 2024 Stanley Cup Winner?

• Arizona Coyotes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Boston Bruins

• Buffalo Sabres

• Calgary Flames

• Chicago Blackhawks

• Columbus Blue Jackets

• Detroit Red Wings

• Edmonton Oilers

• Los Angeles Kings

• Minnesota Wild

• Montreal Canadiens

• Nashville Predators

• New Jersey Devils

• New York Islanders

• Ottawa Senators

• Pittsburgh Penguins

• Seattle Kraken

• St. Louis Blues

• Tampa Bay Lightning

• Washington Capitals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He couldn’t shoot either. And I also think he heard the noise.

The inability to shoot was a real issue. He could be lethal sparking a rush/transition but once settled into a cycle, the pass was his only threat. Before long teams would just cover passing lanes and dare him to shoot. I remember a breakaway against caused by some forward batting one of his wristers down by hand and taking it up the middle of the ice. A lot of cycle opportunities died once his passing options were gone and he basically just turned the puck over to the goalie.

Braun showed that even if your shot isn't strong, you release it at the right time and you can surprise goalies and unleash chaos for more chances. Nothing about any Carle shot was ever a surprise or dangerous. If he had even average shooting ability he'd have been a really good dman. You'd think he would have at least shot for deflections Timonen-style, but nah. Loved him some unscreened floaters.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

fordeconoline3.5.jpg

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Other than Buffalo missing the playoffs every single year being a bad thing, he’s right about all of it. It’s just unfortunate that so many teams in the East don’t deserve to make it either.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Not a fan of the qualifying round in the AHL. I think it has even less of a place in the NHL. If you weren't good enough to be one of the 16 playoff teams after 82 games, too bad.

It's even worse in the AHL because of the travel budget. If the two teams meeting in a qualifying round matchup are so many miles apart, then every game is played in the higher seed's arena. So one team in a given series might not even get a home game. We saw it last year when the Phantoms were the sixth seed to Charlotte's third, and it happens all the time in the Pacific Division as well. That almost definitely wouldn't be a factor if it's adopted by the NHL but it's still stupid nonetheless.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The AHL playoff brackets are hideous to look at.

Other than Buffalo missing the playoffs every single year being a bad thing, he’s right about all of it. It’s just unfortunate that so many teams in the East don’t deserve to make it either.
I don't like that "the cap going up" is supposed to be a winning argument. Lots of things could make the cap go up short term, like jerseys with ads all over them. Doesn't mean they're a good idea. And it's supposed to be going up a lot in the next few years anyway.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The AHL playoff brackets are hideous to look at.

I don't like that "the cap going up" is supposed to be a winning argument. Lots of things could make the cap go up short term, like jerseys with ads all over them. Doesn't mean they're a good idea. And it's supposed to be going up a lot in the next few years anyway.
The difference is that it adds TV inventory, and unlike almost every other North American sports league, the NHL is more reliant on gate compared to media rights in comparison. Not as much as they were, but they will still insist that they are a gate-driven league, and we’re in a world where more people want to stay home.

They need to make their TV deals worth more. Every other league has expanded their playoff field multiple times since the NHL last did, which was 44 years ago. Not counting leagues that were created from scratch since then (some of which have infringed on the NHL’s place in the sports hierarchy like MLS and WNBA), they’ve added the most teams to the league in that time.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they need more TV inventory, makes it best of 9 series and watch the cash roll in.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Flutch says hello...
🤣🤣

Honestly, Chuck, while I f***ing hate him, with hindsight being 20/20, he did not ruin the Flyers like Kek did with the Jackets. Jackets, outside of maybe one or two draft picks, have no real future of success. It's ugly top to bottom. Especially with how much they're paying some of the players (like Johnny).

Reactions: Curufinwe

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Honestly, Chuck, while I f***ing hate him, with hindsight being 20/20, he did not ruin the Flyers like Kek did with the Jackets. Jackets, outside of maybe one or two draft picks, have no real future of success. It's ugly top to bottom. Especially with how much they're paying some of the players (like Johnny).
If Jiricek, Fantilli, Johnson, Svozil, Dumais, Mateychuk all pan out, they could be ok. But that's asking for a lot. Its rare you go 6/6 on your high ceiling prospects

Reactions: BernieParent

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It seemed like he was signing, too. I think the Blues thought that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad