3) Luke Kunin
4) Gustav Olofsson
5) Jordan Greenway
6) Dmitri Sokolov
7) Ivan Lodnia
8) Kaapo Kahkonen
9) Louis Belpedio
10) ???

Thought we mind as well get started on #10.

Please suggest players to be added. I just threw in the last 2. If there are better options please suggest them.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Just to point out again, Michalek's performance last season wasn't too far off that of NHL vet Jaroslav Halak. There's no better indicator for NHL success for goalies than the ability to perform in the AHL. Michalek was 12th in the AHL in save percentage (qualified goalies). This guy is a good goalie prospect.

But there's also a guy who was in consideration for Team Canada and posted 100+ points in one of the best junior leagues in Mason Shaw.

Brandon Duhaime should be on here - might be a Veilleux type but he plays a solid game, possibly breaks out offensively for a good Providence squad. Nick Boka is a solid defenseman too, hope he can get his form back this season.

No offense to Misley but I don't think he cracks the Top 20 at this point.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Michalek.

I really don't think any of the FWDs are better than Anas/Kloos (not to fond of them either). I think Gabriel gets called up before any of them, but doesn't have a future as more than a fringe 4th liner. Shaw is a big question mark for me, but he could be the best of the bunch.

Steeler (I like his game) I have ahead of Soucy/Bouramman.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I voted Shaw. His offensive skill intrigues me, but I'm afraid he'll be a perimeter player, which could very well cause him to be an AHL star.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
A mixture. I think any way it shakes out the answer is Shaw.

When you're 10 prospects deep in the list, I find ceilings get lower... Floors less so.

That's my methodology in these later rounds - Pick lower floor players. All the highest ceiling players got chosen 1-9.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
The player that scored as many points as the #6 overall pick doesn't have a high ceiling? Finished 8th in the WHL in scoring as an 18 year old. Only people above him are 'blue chips' and 20/21 year olds. I'd argue that shows a ceiling higher than 2-3 players already on the list.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The player that scored as many points as the #6 overall pick doesn't have a high ceiling? Finished 8th in the WHL in scoring as an 18 year old. Only people above him are 'blue chips' and 20/21 year olds. I'd argue that shows a ceiling higher than 2-3 players already on the list.

Considering he's already carrying the "perimeter player" label in juniors, before he's even sniffed pro hockey...i think his ceiling is very limited.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
And Granlund did/does.

So, we have no one to point out why Andrei is better, just why Shaw is worse.

There are reasons to like Svetlakov even if you haven't seen a minute of his game. He's been a productive pro for a couple seasons now in arguably the second-best league in the world. He's gotten national team attention for one of the world's hockey superpowers. He has good size and plays a position of need for the Wild.

I posted before how there is an uncanny parallel between Shaw and Tyler Ennis and that would indicate a potential to be a top-sixer in the NHL. No harm in believing Svetlakov has a greater likelihood of being a bottom-sixer than Shaw has of being a top-sixer.

Those who lean toward ceilings probably prefer Shaw; Svetlakov could be a great piece in the near future though, adding seasoned depth at a value cost (and possibly mentorship/comfort besides).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And Granlund did/does.

So, we have no one to point out why Andrei is better, just why Shaw is worse.

Granlund has never carried the perimeter player label...PMB did, because he was afraid of high percentage areas, Granlund has always attacked the high percentage areas.

The closest the perimeter player label came to Granlund was people "feared" that's all he would end up being, but that fear turned out to be unfounded.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I disagree with Granlund. Up until this last year, at least.

PMB's idea of zone entry was to stop just inside the blue line and circle towards the boards and wait for teammates to attack the slot.

Granlund's idea of zone entry is to keep attacking the space he's given no matter where it is, which often has him taking the puck towards the slot, drawing defenders and opening passing lanes for scoring chances.

That has been consistent even before he moved to wing.

He's always shown the penchant to take any inch of ice defenders mistakenly give. Perimeter players don't do that.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Dont wanna get too off topic here with granny, but to me he seems to try and stay away from contact cause obviously he has a size disadvantage but never afraid to attack the open ice hes given like Talon said, imo theres a difference there.

Actually... i dont believe hes really avoiding contact all the time ive seen him race into corners with big players and throw a shoulder without thinking twice, he is fearless for his size imo.

voted Shaw.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Still disagree. During his first 3 years Granlund was closer to Bouchard than his current state
Sure, looks like a perimeter player here...

[Yt]BveHjFB34F8[/MEDIA]
Dont wanna get too off topic here with granny, but to me he seems to try and stay away from contact cause obviously he has a size disadvantage but never afraid to attack the open ice hes given like Talon said, imo theres a difference there.

Actually... i dont believe hes really avoiding contact all the time ive seen him race into corners with big players and throw a shoulder without thinking twice, he is fearless for his size imo.

voted Shaw.
Exactly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad