Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
God no. Ick. Jiricek had a rough year, though he is still very young. I know he is tall, and a RHD, but unless MN has some recent inside info that he is some stud I don't get that trade, at all. I get that he is tall, and Rossi is short, but at this point, Yakemchuk could well be there at #13. He's tall, and a RHD. For that matter, we can pick the other Jiricek...he's tall, and a RHD.

Rossi had a good rookie year, playing with mediocre talent. Not ready to give up on him, especially for a "maybe".
You can’t possibly just look at Jiricek and only see that he’s big and right handed. He’s a stud.

Reactions: P10p

P10p

May 15, 2012
God no. Ick. Jiricek had a rough year, though he is still very young. I know he is tall, and a RHD, but unless MN has some recent inside info that he is some stud I don't get that trade, at all. I get that he is tall, and Rossi is short, but at this point, Yakemchuk could well be there at #13. He's tall, and a RHD. For that matter, we can pick the other Jiricek...he's tall, and a RHD.

Rossi had a good rookie year, playing with mediocre talent. Not ready to give up on him, especially for a "maybe".

If you don't kn8w about jiricek as a player you can just not comment you know lol. He is way more than just "tall" and a rd

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Kind of curious what the cost would be of a bunch of the Preds that mostly had more success with Hynes then they've had since. Glass in particular I assume would be cheap and provide a right-handed center to try with Zucc since he and Rossi showed nothing together. Tomasino seems on the outs too, while Parsinnen/Afanasyev may or may not be in their plans. Jeannot looks to be a failure in TB and Trenin/Sherwood are slated to be UFAs. Forward group seems small for both our coach and GM right now.

Thing with Nashville is I don't know what they'd want from us with their prospect pool and abundance of cap space/draft picks. I'd move O'Rourke + Haight or Lambos + one of the extra 26 mid/late rounders for Glass + 1 of Tomasino/Parsinnen/Afanasyev. Or O'Rourke for Jeannot with TB. Yeah, I don't really see the point of keeping O'Rourke around, 170+ AHL games and never really in consideration for an NHL call-up, a Mermis/Scott Harrington career is probably his future. Lambos/Haight aren't guys I'm that big on but I haven't written them off either.

Trenin's about the only UFA I'd want to sign with our cap situation, and even him you're overpaying him for a depth role like we're already doing with Foligno. Maybe Carrick as a 4C or Greer around the minimum for depth. Shaw should be on a 2-way and playing in Iowa with Lettieri, no reason to hand Ohgren a spot either, just keep the cap space available for a 23-man roster.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I’d like to see how Faber, Chisholm and Rossi do next year before doing anything rash.
Is it really rash if you’re getting similar age/skilled players?

I’m curious if Rossi+ for Gauthier would have happened, if people would have been upset. I would not have been.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Sorry to bring in another topic in the middle of a conversation, but I'm curious about something. With Eriksson Ek not breaking into the top-3 for the Selke this year, what do you think he needs to improve on to actually get serious votes? Improve face-offs to 52%+? Start getting short handed goals? Join a team with more media exposure? What's holding him back?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I’m curious if Rossi+ for Gauthier would have happened, if people would have been upset. I would not have been.
I think we're currently sitting "good" at the center position because of Rossi, Eriksson Ek and Yurov as the high upside prospect. I'm not fully ready to remove one of those pieces at the moment, unless it's an absolute 'can't refuse' type thing.

Gauthier is a center too, so a little bit of a different equation.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Sorry to bring in another topic in the middle of a conversation, but I'm curious about something. With Eriksson Ek not breaking into the top-3 for the Selke this year, what do you think he needs to improve on to actually get serious votes? Improve face-offs to 52%+? Start getting short handed goals? Join a team with more media exposure? What's holding him back?

Selke is pretty much a reputation award anyway. I have zero faith in the media voters' ability to assess defensive play, so for now the best he can do is collect some votes from the advanced stats folk.

Something like a stellar playoff run shutting down key players would probably put him in the contention, even if playoffs should in theory have no impact whatsoever.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

1. Make the Playoffs
2, not have a terrible PK like they did this year
3. have a +30 +/-
4. not have terrible goalies (this would have fixed 1-3 this year)
5. 52% or better FOs

Staal did beat him in a lot of the normal defensive metrics, though that could be pretty well impacted just by Carolina > us.

Staal seems like a reputation/lifetime (similar to Koivu a couple times) this year.

Reactions: BagHead

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
PK performance is what killed JEE’s Selke potential, at 5v5 he spent most of the year neck and neck with top guys, but his PK advanced stats were miserable like you would expect on a team that spent the first two months below the lowest historical PK%. The injury did not help matters, and missing the playoffs too.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023

If you mean Cutter, then I would be upset. In fact, pissed off. He comes across as an entitled asshole. Kind of like Marner.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Better FO's, and be on a better team. Really good player, but he doesn't compare with Barkov, in almost all respects.

I like(with reservations) Rossi, but would be all over that trade.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Better FO's, and be on a better team. Really good player, but he doesn't compare with Barkov, in almost all respects.

I like(with reservations) Rossi, but would be all over that trade.
I agree, Barkov deserves the win, he's an amazing player. I'm not sure Barkov won't go on a Bergeron-esque Selke streak. I was just wondering what JEE needs in order to get over the hump and into serious contention... defined as top-3, not necessarily #1.

I think the replies here were pretty good, and accurate. My guess is that a 75+ point season, the Wild making the WCF with him as the #1 center, or 54%+ faceoffs might do it. It might even take 2 of those 3 things.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I'd like to see him do it on his own line but likely still play w kap on the pp. He would need some help regardless but we all see the potential for mpre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad