Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
What would people think about bringing Zucker back on a 1 year deal at $3-4M?

Just looking at the roster next season, they'll have about $5-5.5M to sign a LW & extra skater (assuming Chisholm signs in the $1.25M-$1.75M range). Shaw will probably be back for cheap, so I'm assuming they're going to have roughly $4.5M to work with.

Kap - Ek - Boldy
X - Rossi - Zucc
Ohgren - Khusnutdinov - Hartman
Foligno - Gaudreau - Johansson

Brodin - Faber
Chisholm - Spurgeon
Middleton - Bogosian
Merrill

Really think whatever signing they make in the offseason should be a 1-year deal, so they have the most flexibility for the following season when the dead cap falls off. Be nice if they didn't re-sign Foligno because it's clear that this team could've spent that money in significantly better ways this offseason.

Possible UFA Targets ($3-4.5M range): Zucker, Tarasenko, Toffoli, Arvidsson, DeBrusk, Noesen, Foegele, Kane, Perron, Drouin, Duchene, Monahan

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Chisholm is going to get more than one of the LD on an ELC I'd just non-QO or trade him. He was just a slight bigger/better Addison 5v5 and worse on the PP.

I look at the season end roster like this going into the offseason:

Can't move (Full NTC/NMC): Zucc, Kap, Hartman, Foligno, MAF, Brodin
Untouchable to trade: JEE, Boldy, Faber, Ohgren, Wallstedt
Wouldn't trade: BoGo
Don't care if they are back or not: Rossi, Shaw, Middleton, Chisholm, Marat K.
Trade/waivers: Gus, Spurgeon, MarJo, Freddy G, Merrill, Lettieri

I'm not re-signing and of the pending UFAs to be on the NHL roster, a couple could be AHL roster fillers.

I'd look to trade a LD prospect, likely as a sweetener to a bigger deal, just to clear up the positional backlog a little bit. Other than that I wouldn't move any AHL ELC's or unsigned prospects.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
What would people think about bringing Zucker back on a 1 year deal at $3-4M?

Just looking at the roster next season, they'll have about $5-5.5M to sign a LW & extra skater (assuming Chisholm signs in the $1.25M-$1.75M range). Shaw will probably be back for cheap, so I'm assuming they're going to have roughly $4.5M to work with.

Kap - Ek - Boldy
X - Rossi - Zucc
Ohgren - Khusnutdinov - Hartman
Foligno - Gaudreau - Johansson

Brodin - Faber
Chisholm - Spurgeon
Middleton - Bogosian
Merrill

Really think whatever signing they make in the offseason should be a 1-year deal, so they have the most flexibility for the following season when the dead cap falls off. Be nice if they didn't re-sign Foligno because it's clear that this team could've spent that money in significantly better ways this offseason.

Possible UFA Targets ($3-4.5M range): Zucker, Tarasenko, Toffoli, Arvidsson, DeBrusk, Noesen, Foegele, Kane, Perron, Drouin, Duchene, Monahan
Personally, I'm not a big fan of bringing guys back for a second stint. It's never worked out with this club. It's why I don't want Dumba back either.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Mantha could/should fall into the short term ~$4m middle-6 winger range. Not sure if GMBG would want him though because he plays much smaller than his size.

Stephenson is a guy I can't predict what he'll get as a UFA. I'd kick the tires on him at least.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You can bet that whoever BG goes after, it'll be a big guy somewhat slower on his skates.

To me, BG getting a 4th line face puncher is just a given. I think it'll be another early season trade, not a FA signing though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Personally, I'm not a big fan of bringing guys back for a second stint. It's never worked out with this club. It's why I don't want Dumba back either.
Well, there is the issue that Dumba has been bad in ARI and TB this year, also. I am fine with bringing someone back here, IF they are the best choice.

I can't fathom someone wanting to give the bum's rush to Rossi and Marat, almost before their career has started. It's not like we have a teamful of stalwarts down in Iowa who are better, or even as good. I get trading Rossi for a better version, but who's going to do that?

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Well, there is the issue that Dumba has been bad in ARI and TB this year, also. I am fine with bringing someone back here, IF they are the best choice.

I can't fathom someone wanting to give the bum's rush to Rossi and Marat, almost before their career has started. It's not like we have a teamful of stalwarts down in Iowa who are better, or even as good. I get trading Rossi for a better version, but who's going to do that?
I think trading Rossi would backfire big time.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I could maybe see it if Yurov was coming over this year and they could turn him (Rossi) into a good winger. Since he's not, I'd like to see him after another offseason before that decision is made.

Again, in his own D+4 year, Eriksson Ek had 14 points in 58 games, and didn't basically lose a year to bad health.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, it depends who we trade him for, but he is certainly not one of my worries going forward if we keep him. He doesn't have to be a #1C to be a useful player.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I could maybe see it if Yurov was coming over this year and they could turn him (Rossi) into a good winger. Since he's not, I'd like to see him after another offseason before that decision is made.

Again, in his own D+4 year, Eriksson Ek had 14 points in 58 games, and didn't basically lose a year to bad health.
I just don’t understand why they’re considering moving a player that plays a position we’ve historically struggled with.

Just slot him in at wing if Yurov takes his spot & then you’ve got a great alternative to go to if someone gets injured.

If Chisholm gets more than $1M, it should be because there is another year tacked on.

1 x ~$900k or 2 x ~$1.25M

Something like that.
He showed enough where I’d be okay giving him a couple years. I do think this team would be wise to cut ties with Middleton & target a real #2/3 defenseman next offseason.

Was pretty clear this team only had two Top 4 defensemen this season after Spurgeon went down.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He’s definitely not somebody I’m dying to bring back, but just thought he might make sense while watching the Preds last night. Every line you can project him on at least made some sense. Could see a Zucker - Khusnutdinov - Hartman line being pretty effective.

There’s lots of options in this FA class though, so really only see a benefit if he wants to come back here cheap.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Sweden plays against 57's Switzerland right now. Czech hockey games, a pre tournament to Worlds.
Wall in goal, had some really good saves already, one on a point blank shot from the slot.
Ek looks really good, had a chance early.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Ek on a line with Victor Olofsson and Alexander Holtz. I think Olofsson is a free agent, why not give him a cheap contract for next year and give him a shot to save his career? Worst case he could be a veteran in Iowa. He did score 28 goals a couple of seasons ago.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ek on a line with Victor Olofsson and Alexander Holtz. I think Olofsson is a free agent, why not give him a cheap contract for next year and give him a shot to save his career? Worst case he could be a veteran in Iowa. He did score 28 goals a couple of seasons ago.

He's small, doesn't know where the d-zone is, and soft as warm butter. He's got some speed and a decent shot; that is about it.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
He's small, doesn't know where the d-zone is, and soft as warm butter. He's got some speed and a decent shot; that is about it.
Of course he knows. He's been spending almost all his time there, Sweden is losing all their faceoffs and is going nowhere near the red line.
Wallstedt is solid as a rock, looks so calm and collected.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Reminds me of the old days when Koivu (and Granlund) would play on the national team and people wanted to sign their Finnish linemates.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Of course he knows. He's been spending almost all his time there, Sweden is losing all their faceoffs and is going nowhere near the red line.
Wallstedt is solid as a rock, looks so calm and collected.

I watched way too much of him in BUF to ever want to watch him on the regular again. I'd rather have Donato or Steel back than Olofsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad