Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd like Rossi to have better /60 on ice stats than Steel did last year before we consider trading JEE.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
is tank tarasenko? even if only for one year i think we'd make the playoffs with him.
Yes and that would depend on who centers him. He’s still got plenty left in the tank though , pardon the pun

I'd like Rossi to have better /60 on ice stats than Steel did last year before we consider trading JEE.
I think that’s a pretty disingenuous thing to infer

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think that’s a pretty disingenuous thing to infer

Rossi with Kap: 451 mins, 3.32 gf/60, 2.56 ga/60, 56.82 gf%, 2.3 xgf/60, 2.34 xga/60, 49.61 xgf%
Steel with Kap: 409 mins, 3.08 gf/60, 1.91 ga/60, 61.76 gf%, 2.89 xgf/60, 2.35 xga/60, 55.21 xgf%

Rossi without Kap: 691 mins, 1.65 gf/60, 1.74 ga/60, 48.72 gf%, 2.41 xgf/60, 1.96 xga/60, 55.15 xgf%
Steel without Kap: 419 mins, 2.29 gf/60, 2.58 ga/60, 47.06 gf%, 2.51 xgf/60, 2.66 xga/60, 48.54 xgf%

Steel also PKed, was better at FOs, 6% o-zone draws with Kap, and 13% more d-zone draws without Kap.

I'm not saying Rossi won't improve, but his current game is in the same ballpark as Steel was the year before.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Rossi with Kap: 451 mins, 3.32 gf/60, 2.56 ga/60, 56.82 gf%, 2.3 xgf/60, 2.34 xga/60, 49.61 xgf%
Steel with Kap: 409 mins, 3.08 gf/60, 1.91 ga/60, 61.76 gf%, 2.89 xgf/60, 2.35 xga/60, 55.21 xgf%

Rossi without Kap: 691 mins, 1.65 gf/60, 1.74 ga/60, 48.72 gf%, 2.41 xgf/60, 1.96 xga/60, 55.15 xgf%
Steel without Kap: 419 mins, 2.29 gf/60, 2.58 ga/60, 47.06 gf%, 2.51 xgf/60, 2.66 xga/60, 48.54 xgf%

Steel also PKed, was better at FOs, 6% o-zone draws with Kap, and 13% more d-zone draws without Kap.

I'm not saying Rossi won't improve, but his current game is in the same ballpark as Steel was the year before.

A good part of Rossi’s time with Kap this year was with Kap playing at what looked like 50%. Steel benefitted from playing with Kap and Zucc firing on all cylinders. I don’t think Rossi ever really established much for chemistry with anyone. That is somewhat concerning to me as he’s supposed to have off the charts Iq and playmaking ability. I didn’t see a ton of that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don’t think Rossi ever really established much for chemistry with anyone. That is somewhat concerning to me as he’s supposed to have off the charts Iq and playmaking ability. I didn’t see a ton of that.

This is why I'm guessing GMBG has Rossi as available (according to Russo FWiW).

I'm not a Rossi fan, but I wouldn't trade him for chump change this offseason. He's cheap and decent enough to keep until something better comes along with the way the team is constructed.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Rossi's character, and players his age, contract status, position and skillset are the very types we need more of, but I wonder if his lack of size and strength will limit any improvement in his game.

I certainly don't want to move him for just anything. We don't have enough good forwards... not even close.

Reactions: MuckOG and Sweetnut

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
That would be ideal.

Kap-Ek-Boldy
Yurov-Rossi-Zucc
Ohgren-Khusnutdinov-Hartman
Foligno-Gaudreau-Johansson

Fun fact for everyone: Zucc had 2 goals and 5 assists at 5v5 for the ENTIRE SEASON when Kaprizov was not on the ice. That's per the latest Worst Seats in the House podcast

This tells you that you need to play Zucc with elite linemates for him to be effective. 63 points in 69 games, he's been great with Kaprizov. Same happened when Zucc played for the Stars, they put him with Benn and Seguin, and he immediately became a ppg player.

But next season his linemates will be less important. Boldy should play on the top line now, he's part of the future and he'll make almost twice as much as Zucc, who will do his job if he can score 40 points. Will probably score a lot of those on the PP, he's still a wizard there.

I believe the Wild may go after Tyler Bertuzzi, who's a UFA this year. He should provide some help on the 2nd line, and he also has that grit the Wild are missing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This tells you that you need to play Zucc with elite linemates for him to be effective. 63 points in 69 games, he's been great with Kaprizov. Same happened when Zucc played for the Stars, they put him with Benn and Seguin, and he immediately became a ppg player.

But next season his linemates will be less important. Boldy should play on the top line now, he's part of the future and he'll make almost twice as much as Zucc, who will do his job if he can score 40 points. Will probably score a lot of those on the PP, he's still a wizard there.

I believe the Wild may go after Tyler Bertuzzi, who's a UFA this year. He should provide some help on the 2nd line, and he also has that grit the Wild are missing.
Zucc as a 4m is still valuable. He is vg on the PP, and even if Boldy supplants him on the 1st, as he should(usually... I can see Zucc popping into the 1st occasionally), he will be fine as a setup man in the middle six. Smart, and an excellent passer. He needs to be surrounded by bigger, faster, athletic shooters/two way players. if that ends up being Ohgren, great.

I'm not too sure he is the greatest match match with Rossi, but they are two smart players and should figure it out.

People around here complain about Zucc endlessly. My position is that yeah, he's aging, and has limitations, but he is still miles better than any replacements we have. If the day comes that Yurov, Ohgren, and someone like Heidt supplant him on the top 6 then it will be good news, but right now we've got a dearth of top 9 talent. If Zucc can score 50 points playing away from Kap and Boldy then he's an asset still.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Some interesting tidbits from Russo and Smith. In summary:

1. The Wild could be looking at trading Gus (no new news there). With the season he just had, shouldn't expect a huge return, maybe a 2nd round pick...but the Wild might want to see a roster player as well if the cap fit works.
  2. Chances of Rossi being dealt are higher than many think. Speculates that the Wild were interested in Cutter Gauthier before Philly dealt him to Anaheim, and Rossi might've been a player they would've considered moving for him.
  3. The Wild believe that Yurov will be a top 6 center. Since Ek and Yurov seem to be the top 6 centers of the future, they don't believe that Rossi would be best suited playing a bottom 6 center role and don't want to move him to wing. However, a top 6 wing is something they might want in return for Rossi.
  4. Heidt really has a legitimate chance at making the roster out of camp.
  5. They might be interested in picking up a RH top 6 wing this summer. If Perron doesn't re-sign in Detroit, he might be someone to consider.
  6. Not likely that Merrill will be dealt this summer, but if a young guy like Hunt shows to be more worthy, they might bury Merrill and his cap hit in Iowa.

Rossi for Konecny.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Rossi for Konecny.
And sign Tank

Who plays on their offside the best?

Kap Yurov Tank
Boldy Ek Konecny
Ohgren Khus Zucc
Foligno who cares

Would probably have to trade Gus and Hartman to make it work since Foligno and Zucc can’t be moved

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
And sign Tank

Who plays on their offside the best?

Kap Yurov Tank
Boldy Ek Konecny
Ohgren Khus Zucc
Foligno who cares

Would probably have to trade Gus and Hartman to make it work since Foligno and Zucc can’t be moved
Is there any word on what length or AAV Tarasenko is looking for? I'd be hesitant to give a 32 year old scorer much term.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Is there any word on what length or AAV Tarasenko is looking for? I'd be hesitant to give a 32 year old scorer much term.
I’d be willing to give 3 years tops and I’d be happier with 2 but he’s going to have plenty of teams clamoring for him. His shoulder seems like a non issue now and he is still a dynamic scorer

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
To be fair, Russo’s point is fairly valid that if they sign someone to term then they are essentially blocking Yurov or Heidt or Haight (the prospects he said) and should trade them. I think there is some validity to that. Not with Yurov, but maybe the others.
There’s some truth to both sides of the argument.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Some interesting tidbits from Russo and Smith. In summary:

1. The Wild could be looking at trading Gus (no new news there). With the season he just had, shouldn't expect a huge return, maybe a 2nd round pick...but the Wild might want to see a roster player as well if the cap fit works.
  2. Chances of Rossi being dealt are higher than many think. Speculates that the Wild were interested in Cutter Gauthier before Philly dealt him to Anaheim, and Rossi might've been a player they would've considered moving for him.
  3. The Wild believe that Yurov will be a top 6 center. Since Ek and Yurov seem to be the top 6 centers of the future, they don't believe that Rossi would be best suited playing a bottom 6 center role and don't want to move him to wing. However, a top 6 wing is something they might want in return for Rossi.
  4. Heidt really has a legitimate chance at making the roster out of camp.
  5. They might be interested in picking up a RH top 6 wing this summer. If Perron doesn't re-sign in Detroit, he might be someone to consider.
  6. Not likely that Merrill will be dealt this summer, but if a young guy like Hunt shows to be more worthy, they might bury Merrill and his cap hit in Iowa.

One more noteworthy snippet:

You’ve reported Brock Faber could get $9 million a season? Any other possible extensions this summer?

The only one seems like Jake Middleton. You can bank on that one.

Really nonsensical to sign Middleton imo. If it’s like $3M, it’s fine, but it’s not going to be $3M. This team needs a real Top 4 option that is capable of playing on a first pairing if Brodin goes down. Middleton is not that guy.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
What if we signed Tank and expressed to Yurov he has a legit shot at centering Kap and Tank.

We run Kap Yurov Tank top line.

We then package Ek and Gus together for a legit 2nd line LW. Someone Jesper Bratt or along those lines. Money works and we instantly have two legit scoring lines.

No idea who has the type of LW that would make this worth it but it’s an idea.
Ek & Gus for a 2nd line LW is ridiculously bad.

There’s maybe 10 players in the league I’d move for that package. Ek is extremely valuable to this team & has gotten better every single year. He’s in his prime right now & there’s nothing to suggest his play is going to fall off in the next 3-5 years.

Trading a forward in general doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t understand what Guerin is thinking when it comes to moving Rossi unless he’s expecting an unreasonable contract.

Reactions: Slotski

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Ek & Gus for a 2nd line LW is ridiculously bad.

There’s maybe 10 players in the league I’d move for that package. Ek is extremely valuable to this team & has gotten better every single year. He’s in his prime right now & there’s nothing to suggest his play is going to fall off in the next 3-5 years.

Trading a forward in general doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t understand what Guerin is thinking when it comes to moving Rossi unless he’s expecting an unreasonable contract.

It’s not a package. It’s just ek and a cap dump

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Gus absolutely has value.
Maybe a 2nd? I mean he doesn’t have negative value but I don’t see him getting much interest for anything other than maybe a late 2nd?

Either way , move whatever pieces around you need to make it work. I want a Fiala level player back on the second line. Someone like Bratt.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Trading Gus because Guerin couldn't help but offer a 40 year old guy on the brink of retirement one more contract is exactly the type of thing Guerin said wasn't gonna happen anymore when he came in. And what's extra crazy is Fleury really only had about two good
months these last two seasons (did I do that right?). All so he can hand over the reigns to a 20 year old that's been pretty inconsistent and unproven so far.

I just don't have much patience left for Guerin. He talks a good game and people eat it up. He doesn't back it up where it matters though.

Reactions: keppel146

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad