GDT: Minnesota Wild @ Detroit Red Wings | Thursday, October 5th | 7:30PM | NBC Sports Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I hadn't seen it before today, but I find it fascinating that Sheahan is still on a PP unit and Daley/Kronwall are on PP1 over Green.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
That's got to be the most expensive third line in the league. lol

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Finally hockey is back :)

I hope that Larkin and Mantha break out into elite players and carry us to the playoffs (seems unlikely, especially for Larkin)

or I hope that we suck and draft Dahlin

Getting a middling pick again with no big improvement from our younger players will just make me want to pull my hair out

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
I'm excited. Can't wait. Already have super low expectations this year for the Wings team as a whole.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Getting a middling pick again with no big improvement from our younger players will just make me want to pull my hair out

Yeah, especially with the best 1-2 punch available in many years at the draft. Looking at this team and what it realistically projects to do, and looking at what's available, now's the time to tank. That would be the best possible value gained from this season. Hopefully we go into next offseason with an actual superstar (to be) in the org, and there's only 1 way that's going to happen.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
At first look, I was annoyed that Green and Frk weren't on the top PP line. But thinking about it, I think I like having that group as the #1 unit, I think they'll work well together and have good puck movement. Having Frk there to tee it up on the 2nd unit with Green could be a good way to just pound some in. I guess we'll see

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Daley over Green on PP1 is a prime example of the poor usage by "coach" Blashill. 2 Goal Sheahan on the PP is also an example. Sometimes I get the feeling that Blashill just throws random players in certain holes and hopes he gets lucky and they work. So far, none have!

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Blashill is going to use Green/Frk as the main weapon on the 2nd unit. Hes gonna set it up like the Green/Ovechkin days, with green feeding one timers to Frk. It would be a waste to have all our skilled forwards playing on the green/frk unit if one-timers are the main strategy there. You don't need super skilled guys to pass back and forth until a lane for Frk opens up.

IDK if it will work, guess we'll find out.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Sure, that would work. Maybe a 2nd defenseman?

A second defensemen? Who do you think we are, Nashville? If your name isn't Mike Green or Trevor Daley I don't want to see your face on our PP. Abby over Sheahan is reasonable. If, however, you are expecting us to just abandon the low slot all together you are out of your mind.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
A second defensemen? Who do you think we are, Nashville? If your name isn't Mike Green or Trevor Daley I don't want to see your face on our PP. Abby over Sheahan is reasonable. If, however, you are expecting us to just abandon the low slot all together you are out of your mind.

Good point, hard to argue with the success of our 27th overall PP from last season. May as well keep everything the same.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Mantha being a net front presence of the PP is a waste IMO. He should be shooting the puck. Sheahan on the PP again LOL.....*slowly turns into crying*

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings need to emulate the Tigers this year. Lock up that worst overall record.

Expecting a loss, but there is more randomness towards the start of the season, so a win wouldn't shock me either.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Sucks that Sheahan is on the PP but the other 2 options are Abby and Helmer, Abby can score with his ass though - Sheahan didn't last year. Wish AA was here for it. Mantha as net-front isn't ideal but he's a big body with good hand eye, and he can do more than just stand there in that position, he is always positioning his stick for a pass to make a power move in front of the net. With Nyqusit, Tats, and Z they'll be able to use him in that capacity.
Gotta assume Daley is the placeholder for Kronner, that shass to Rasmussen in preseason was really good, but he's not going to be very effective in that role over a period of time. Telegraphed back pass every time with him too.

I'm excited, I really am just here to see if my guy Tats can rebound now that he's healthy, watch Mantha blossom into the player we've been hoping for, Larkin transition to full time C, and Z try to squeeze every bit of himself to remain a great player.

Either way there's going to need to be a lot of things that happen for this to be a successful season on either end of the spectrum. In the end, we're most like to have our fingers crossed when they pull those lottery balls - what a great moment that could turn out to be.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009

Moot point as we don't have enough skilled forwards either. When you fill out your PP with forwards who won't score 20 goals, or even 10, I'd probably rather take the safe route and not give up a lot of shorties.

I personally would play Kronwall and Green on one unit, and Hicketts and Daley on the other if we were fully healthy and the best players were allowed to start the season. But, neither of those statements are true so here we go with 4F-1D.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Glad the season's about to actually start.

Hope I've been wrong about basically everything and the optimist's get to feed everyone a ton of crow.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
New season of Hockey, new avatar. Shehan still on the power play. Cant have everything you want. My birthday is Oct 10 and that's about the time Hockey starts so I always consider it a birthday present.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna