Minnesota Wild 2016-17 Regular Season MVP

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
IMO it HAS to be Dubs because... Kuemper!

Kuemper has had an epically bad season... and if Dubs wasn't so good for so long on the year, I'd hate to see where our goaltending actually ended up!

Otherwise I'd have voted for Granlund, because he added an element to the offense that this team hasn't had in a LONG time!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Granlund or Dubnyk. Flip a coin.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
MVP?

Staal.
He made Granlund at wing possible. Koivu and Staal helped each other to cover their off nights.

Best player?
Granny or Duby.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
MVP?

Staal.
He made Granlund at wing possible. Koivu and Staal helped each other to cover their off nights.

Best player?
Granny or Duby.

Obviously Granlund at wing was possible sooner since Torch did the same down the stretch and in the playoffs with Granlund.

Don't get me wrong, Staal was a great signing, but without Dubs play, our goaltending this year would have been absolutely atrocious and we'd have been looking for another starter to bail out the season like Dubs did a couple years back.

Dubs to me is a AINEC situation because of what was behind him in net. If we had even an avg backup situation, I think the answer would be Granlund though... but we don't.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Spurgeon was IMO our best skater. Played flawless in both ends for the most part.

Granlund is also deserving. Suter and Staal close behind.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Here's a stat to help show what I'm talking about...

The Wild have 48 total wins.
Dubs has 40 of those wins! ONLY 8 other wins without Dubs in net!!!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's tough. Two months ago I would have made it Doobs. Suter is always a good choice, just like Geico. Granlund?

Probably have to vote Doobs, but am tempted to go with Granlund, which is quite a statement given that I have been quite the critic. Spurgeon has also been terrific, but playing with Suter is quite the boost for anyone.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Tough call. Granlund, Staal and Dubnyk all have solid cases, though they all disappeared at some point this season.

Suter's season is exactly like his game. Quietly solid and generally overlooked because he's not making the highlight reel every night. There was a part of last night's game where Suter just skated up to the Avs' puck carrier and almost effortlessly stripped the puck and got the play going the other way. LaPanta even commented on the play about how often they've seen Suter makes similar plays throughout his career like it's no big deal.

Suter has a chance to hit 40 points in the regular season tonight while putting up a career high in goals (9) and a career high in +/- (+35). I shudder to think what our blueline would have looked like without him this year and he gets my vote for MVP, although I won't argue with anyone that chose Dubnyk.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Went with Staal. Granlund basically at the same level, then no one else within a mile, other than early season Dubnyk.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Tough call between 4 skaters for me(Suter, Spurgeon, Granlund, and Koivu), as they are the only 4 that have consistently been our best players night in, night out. While the Staal signing and Zucker breaking out have been major factors, neither has been the MVP. Dubnyk might have had a case 2 months ago, but given his recent play I wouldn't be opposed to giving Stalock a chance in the playoffs(game 3 if the first 2 go bad for Dubnyk). He's just been that bad lately IMO(Stalock has also played very well in Iowa). Granted, Dubnyk wouldn't be the only guy I wouldn't consider replacing as I think Olofsson could be an upgrade on half our D with the way they're playing, and I'd be livid if JEE isn't playing up front.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Staal.

He allowed us to keep Granlund at wing - putting up his best season by a mile, kept Coyle at Wing (great at the beginning of the year, rough after). He allowed us to take some of the pressure off of Koivu - allowing Koivu to put up his best goal scoring year in 6 seasons. Also we've got a center leading us in goals (nearly hitting 30) for the first time in a long while.

I don't think Staal has been our best player, but he's been our most Valuable due to the ripple effect he's had on our line-up.

Plus he's given us a lot of Staal-faces to enjoy.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Dubnyk easily. Stole many games early in the year before we started to play good, led the league in most of the goalie stats for most of the year.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
IMO I was thinking Duubs or Staal. Went with Staal. Yes ok granny is the leading scorer and dubs had a great first half. But I think Staal's comeback year really really helped this team out. Could have gone any which way.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Grumplestiltskin for da pointz.

HM: #1C Erik Staal, #1D Ryan Suter, #1Gangsta Dub.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Really hard to say. Could be anyone from Dubnyk,Staal and Granlund.

I have to give it to Dubnyk though. He slowed down in the end of the season but at that time Wild already locked the home advantage. And largely thanks to Dubnyk's absolutely amazing first half of the season.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Here's a stat to help show what I'm talking about...

The Wild have 48 total wins.
Dubs has 40 of those wins! ONLY 8 other wins without Dubs in net!!!

We also have 33 losses and Dubnyk has 24 of those. Which means our other goalies only lose 9 games this season.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why has granny been better than staal? and versa..?

To me, it feels like Granlund has produced more consistently and more total. I have Staal at third though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad