OT: Minnesota Pro Sports Thread #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Dallas has one of the best RBs going right now in football. Getting anything for Adrian, at all, is a pipe dream. They're going to have to cut him.

As for the Vikings, maybe, just maybe, this is the year that everyone finally figures out Spielman is just inept at his job. But that's probably asking too much. Until that time, I'll just continue to laugh at that franchise's follies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
And if we actually get our turnovers instead of the ref gifting them the ball that takes away how much? Kind of demoralizing to clearly take the ball and away and have it given back to the other team.

Yeah, the fumble on the goal line that was ruled incomplete was a horrible call, I thought.

Also, you have to wonder how the game would have turned out if they wouldn't have had that pick-6 to make it 14-0 called back.

All in all, it was a gutsy win. I was happy to see them pull it out. Not too often have we seen Gopher teams get punched in the mouth and respond positively.

The locker room scene after the game was cool. Fun to see a kicker getting some love :laugh:

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Yeah, the fumble on the goal line that was ruled incomplete was a horrible call, I thought.

Also, you have to wonder how the game would have turned out if they wouldn't have had that pick-6 to make it 14-0 called back.

All in all, it was a gutsy win. I was happy to see them pull it out. Not too often have we seen Gopher teams get punched in the mouth and respond positively.

The locker room scene after the game was cool. Fun to see a kicker getting some love :laugh:

That was a hell of a game. I'm glad I was there. It seemed like every close call was going against the Gophers. Unfortunately that was the right call on the pick 6... DE didn't make it back onside.

I still think Cobb was down on his fumble but not enough video evidence to overturn the call.

I couldn't believe the fumble they ruled an incomplete pass was called that way. 3 strides? Gophers would have had that ball in Purdue territory had it been called properly.

But in the end, it's a victory and that's all that matters.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
So happy to see the Gophers doing this great. If they can manage wins against Illinois and Iowa they could very well get College Gameday here for the Ohio State game considering its the 2 B10 leaders in the West and East.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
So happy to see the Gophers doing this great. If they can manage wins against Illinois and Iowa they could very well get College Gameday here for the Ohio State game considering its the 2 B10 leaders in the West and East.

That'd be cool... but i kinda doubt it with Auburn/Georgia & Mississippi St/Alabama that weekend.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
That'd be cool... but i kinda doubt it with Auburn/Georgia & Mississippi St/Alabama that weekend.

I don't know, if you have both Minnesota and Ohio State winning their games into that weekend: you will have an 8-1 Minnesota, probably ranked around 18th in the nation, and an 8-1 Ohio State who will have just won @ Michigan State, and would assuredly be ranked top 10 in the nation.

Might be a good opportunity for them to get away from the same old SEC locations.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
As for the Vikings, maybe, just maybe, this is the year that everyone finally figures out Spielman is just inept at his job. But that's probably asking too much. Until that time, I'll just continue to laugh at that franchise's follies.

How is he inept? Harvin for a 1st, 3rd and a 7th. Some big signings in the off-seasons. Give me a list of how this team is inept? They just switched quarterbacks, has two of their linemen out (Sullivan, Fusco) and their best player is now sitting. And they continue to move toward youth. Am I disappointed? Kind of but I think they hung onto Frazier way too long before firing him.

Wild48

Ski U Mah
Nov 10, 2011
Duluth
Ugh. Gophers manage to turn it around in the 2nd half, only to have Cobb fumble and give Illinois a defensive TD.

This is such a typical Gopher game. They're just starting to get respect... and they piss away an opportunity against a very mediocre Illinois squad.

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH
Wow that is a huge GIF! Simply amazing seeing Anthony Barr get that big play at the end for the win. :) I know the season was pretty much over after that terrible loss in Buffalo but it's still nice to win. Skol Vikings! That was much needed after seeing the Gophers lose to Illinois yesterday.

Slick Willy*

It was a turd of a game. All around. Hard to get excited about this team. Just hoping the Wild can get us a world championship before the others because frankly all our other pro teams are in the gutter right now.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Last Season Minnesota was 31st in passing (giving up 287 yards per game) and 15th in rushing (giving up 110.4 yards per game). They were also last in points per game, giving up a whopping 30 points per game. Overall they were the 31st worst defense in the NFL giving up 397.6 yards per game. They also ranked 24th in interceptions with 12 and was 13th for sacks.

Halfway through the 2014 season, Minnesota is 12th in interceptions with 7 and tied for 2nd in sacks. They are fourth in the league in passing (228.8 yards per game) and 17th in rushing (111.6 yards per game). They are now 12th in the league in points allowed at 21.6 and overall they are the 9th best defense in the league giving up 323.8 yards per game.

They could move down a couple of spots but damn - no one expecting this huge leap in overall defense From 31st to 8th at mid-season. Offense continues to be a work in progress but Bridgewater and McKinnon both show some steady progress as they are both rookies.

Defense? Anthony Barr has looked like an outstanding pick with 54 tackles, 3.0 sacks and 3 fumble recoveries. Smith and Robinson are looking good. Defensive line looks good. Tom Johnson...Who? Exactly has 5 sacks. Everson Griffen has 8.0 sacks. Defense will also look better and better as they continue to get in the young players and get better linebackers in place to shore up the middle.

Once the offense starts clicking, this team could look pretty damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad