Minnesota 2023-2024 Affiliates Thread (Iowa Wild, Iowa Heartlanders)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
IOwa beats MIL 3-2 in OT. Rossi with two assists, and he drew the penalty(nifty play between him and Walker)with 10 seconds left in regulation to give them the advantage that ended up being the difference.

Askarov 23 saves
Wallstedt 36. "

Clearly, we have the better goalie.:sarcasm:

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
IOwa beats MIL 3-2 in OT. Rossi with two assists, and he drew the penalty(nifty play between him and Walker)with 10 seconds left in regulation to give them the advantage that ended up being the difference.

Askarov 23 saves
Wallstedt 36. "

Clearly, we have the better goalie.:sarcasm:
Was there ever any doubt?

Reactions: 57special

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
Rossi with 3 goals in last 2 games. Hopefully boosts the blokes confidence. I'm actually considering paying for the ahl package, Minnesota is hard to watch lately.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi was good, but the goal was a long distance seeing eye wrister. Assist was meh. Actually he, Walker, and Beckman had much better chances in OT, with shots from 20' away.

Wallstedt had another really good game, letting in only one goal, and making some great saves. Hopefully not hurt...seemed to tweak something in OT while stopping a breakaway.

Reactions: Beastieboi

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Iowa beating Coachella 5-2 late in the 3rd. Petan and Sustr(?!) with three points,Walker with two goals, Hicketts and Swaney with two points. Rossi with one. Beckman with a goal on a serious snipe from 35'.

Rossi is playing well, Beckman is playing better,Walker still really good...Petan is so damn good in the ahl. Glad to see Swaney get some points. i've liked him this year. Hentges looks decent...will be interested to see how he progresses...needs to stay healthy.

Hunt out for some reason. Milne out injured. Wallstedt let in 2 on 21 shots. Was good when he had to be.

This is a good team with no one being called up. 6-7 good or better Dmen, two good goalies, a talented top 6, and some good role players, some with upside.(Milne, Hentges, Swaney). I think Walker and Rossi can play in the NHL now. Beckman still needs time, but is improving. Next year, maybe?

ROR doesn't stick out, but looks solid, and mobile. Handles the puck well on the breakout, and from the point. Just not too daring carrying the puck through the neutral zone - low event type guy. Seems to be getting stronger...above average for an AHL'er, but nothing crazy.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Iowa beating Coachella 5-2 late in the 3rd. Petan and Sustr(?!) with three points,Walker with two goals, Hicketts and Swaney with two points. Rossi with one. Beckman with a goal on a serious snipe from 35'.

Rossi is playing well, Beckman is playing better,Walker still really good...Petan is so damn good in the ahl. Glad to see Swaney get some points. i've liked him this year. Hentges looks decent...will be interested to see how he progresses...needs to stay healthy.

Hunt out for some reason. Milne out injured. Wallstedt let in 2 on 21 shots. Was good when he had to be.

This is a good team with no one being called up. 6-7 good or better Dmen, two good goalies, a talented top 6, and some good role players, some with upside.(Milne, Hentges, Swaney). I think Walker and Rossi can play in the NHL now. Beckman still needs time, but is improving. Next year, maybe?

ROR doesn't stick out, but looks solid, and mobile. Handles the puck well on the breakout, and from the point. Just not too daring carrying the puck through the neutral zone - low event type guy. Seems to be getting stronger...above average for an AHL'er, but nothing crazy.
He let in two goals?!?! What a bust

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Would we be confident in Wallstedt as a backup goalie next year if we traded Fleury or Gus, or are we thinking that another AHL year would be best?

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
Would we be confident in Wallstedt as a backup goalie next year if we traded Fleury or Gus, or are we thinking that another AHL year would be best?
I’d like to see how the season plays out, but currently I would be fairly comfortable with him as a backup.

I think the best route, developmentally, would be for him to be in the AHL next year, but have him come up to the show for a few games.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’d like to see how the season plays out, but currently I would be fairly comfortable with him as a backup.

I think the best route, developmentally, would be for him to be in the AHL next year, but have him come up to the show for a few games.
if there is an injury to a goalie, then i could see Wallstedt being called up for a few games, as a reward. Barring some injury, trade, or poor play, he won't be up till 24-25.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

AHL next year until an injury or MN is out of the Playoffs and MAF is traded.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If anyone is remotely superstitious, it looks like the Iowa game tonight is #666 in the AHL season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
3-1 Iowa after 1st. IG,I A for Petan and O'Leary. Two points for Hicketts. Walker with one goal, Rossi and ROR with an assist. ROR had a trunover leading to a GA, but not completely his fault. Walker, and especially Petan, could've been stronger on the puck in the neutral zone.

Petan and Hicketts might not be NHL material, but they sure are good AHL'ers. Same with Forgarty.

ugh, 4-3 Texas after 2nd. Iowa had not one, but two Too Many Men penalties in the 2nd...this team takes way too many penalties. Lead their division by a wide margin.

Walker ties it up early in the 3rd on a smart, aware pass by Hicketts. Playn was all started by Walker's speed on a breakaway. Speed... it's not the only thing, but it is most definitely a thing. Walker now has 19 goals in 36 gp.

Milne still out with injury. Hentges pretty well unnoticeable . Khudobin in the other net...he doesn't look like a NHL goalie.

22 seconds into OT, Texas scores. Petan shows why he isn't in the NHL, not covering his man defensively, leaving him all alone in front.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Iowa with two too many men penalties in a span of just over four minutes, Texas scores almost immediately on both powerplays, same guy too

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
ugh, 4-3 Texas after 2nd. Iowa had not one, but two Too Many Men penalties in the 2nd...this team takes way too many penalties. Lead their division by a wide margin.
I mean the Wild are tied with Montreal as PIM leader, so affiliate team like parent team?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean the Wild are tied with Montreal as PIM leader, so affiliate team like parent team?
It's not like they are a really tough, intimidating team, either. Just dumb penalties. Baddock is the only guy who is a goon, and he isn't that bad. Just a plodding, tired looking guy.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's not like they are a really tough, intimidating team, either. Just dumb penalties. Baddock is the only guy who is a goon, and he isn't that bad. Just a plodding, tired looking guy.
Neither really is Minnesota. They are all playing pretty undisciplined and I think that's the way Guerin likes the team; passionate to the point of sloppy. We saw it last year, we're seeing it this year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
beautiful SHG goal by Petan. He and Walker were on a 2 on 2, Walker slipped him a nice pass at the blue line, and Petan squirted in between the two defenders, made as if to deke, but flip/roofed it, like Kaprizov on a SO.

PRONOUNCIATION ALERT.!!!!!

It is now Marco Row-si, not Marco Raw-si.

Hunt is out with illness, not injury.

3-0 in 2nd. Petan with another, Hentges with his 1st. Rossi has no points, but fed Hicketts who cleanly beat the goalie but rang it off the bar... Rossi looks very good. Petan is scoring like crazy, but plays a very "light" game, and made two careless backpasses that ended up putting the team in a bad spot.
MiGod, another penalty... 5 in only two periods, so far. Sadly, this is normal.

Ended up being 5-3 win.
Petan with a HT….nice finish close in on a nice feed. Walker with the ENG, on a smart lob pass to Center ice where Walker was able to use his speed to pull away. Wallstedt with the win…didn’t see two of the goals, but on one he was fine, making multiple saves, then one of our Dmen ( Hicketts?) was puck watching and Didn’t get a stick on a guy right beside him, who popped it in. Unforgivable, IMO, for a Dman. That was his only job.

Petan is killing it down here. Not the greatest defender, and sometimes careless with the puck, but is scoring at a prodigious rate. Some similarities to Mayhew. Not as quick, but better handles.

Rossi looks vg down here. Would like his face offs to be better( O’Leary is the best FO guy), but is responsible defensively. Has wound up on a rush from his own end a couple of times and shows good speed. Getting better at dealing with physicality, but I still wouldn’t call it a strength. He tends to dominate the puck on the PP from the half wall. Makes good decisions, and uses creative ways to get better passing angles - at one point he made a circle three times with the puck before moving it. Going strictly by how he is doing now, he is worthy of a call up, but trying to project, my thoughts are;

- he is best in space,and I have doubts whether he will get that in a bigger, faster NHL, where space is hard to find.

- seems to need time before making his passes. Not Suter exactly, but too deliberate, even though the results are good in the AHL. Needs to able to process quicker.

- FO’s are mediocre.

- average acceleration/ quickness.

- his game is based on puck possession. Will he be able to do that in the NHL, or simply get the puck taken from him? He’s not strong or big enough to physically shield the puck, and not quick enough to evade defenders, though he is creative.

Don’t mean to be negative. He looks really good, and seems to be improving, but these things don’t happen overnight. I would bring him up if there was an open C spot, but we might be looking at next year for him, as Walker, to me, should be the first call up.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rossi looks vg down here. Would like his face offs to be better( O’Leary is the best FO guy), but is responsible defensively. Has wound up on a rush from his own end a couple of times and shows good speed. Getting better at dealing with physicality, but I still wouldn’t call it a strength. He tends to dominate the puck on the PP from the half wall. Makes good decisions, and uses creative ways to get better passing angles - at one point he made a circle three times with the puck before moving it. Going strictly by how he is doing now, he is worthy of a call up, but trying to project, my thoughts are;

- he is best in space,and I have doubts whether he will get that in a bigger, faster NHL, where space is hard to find.

- seems to need time before making his passes. Not Suter exactly, but too deliberate, even though the results are good in the AHL. Needs to able to process quicker.

- FO’s are mediocre.

- average acceleration/ quickness.

- his game is based on puck possession. Will he be able to do that in the NHL, or simply get the puck taken from him? He’s not strong or big enough to physically shield the puck, and not quick enough to evade defenders, though he is creative.

Don’t mean to be negative. He looks really good, and seems to be improving, but these things don’t happen overnight. I would bring him up if there was an open C spot, but we might be looking at next year for him

Wondering if he might be like an Eriksson Ek slow burn type. He's obviously never gonna be the physical specimen Ek is. But Ek was drafted as an offensive center, went through some growing pains developing an excellent defensive game, and is now a two way monster. Rossi is the better prospect coming out of the draft, think he already has both the offensive and defensive advantages over Ek at this stage of their development. But another smart, ~70 point, (possibly) Selke level center? Count me in.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wondering if he might be like an Eriksson Ek slow burn type. He's obviously never gonna be the physical specimen Ek is. But Ek was drafted as an offensive center, went through some growing pains developing an excellent defensive game, and is now a two way monster. Rossi is the better prospect coming out of the draft, think he already has both the offensive and defensive advantages over Ek at this stage of their development. But another smart, ~70 point, (possibly) Selke level center? Count me in.
Rossi should be a better passer and puck possession guy than JEE.

One minor thing that Rossi does that drives me crazy. He does soft little flip backhand passes. They are ripe for interception because they are so lame, and he also puts no back spin on them, resulting in a bouncing puck, rather than one that sits down. MIG would never do such a thing.

Pretty lifeless game tonight. Swaney with two goals, lost in a SO where no one from Iowa scored.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Rossi should be a better passer and puck possession guy than JEE.

One minor thing that Rossi does that drives me crazy. He does soft little flip backhand passes. They are ripe for interception because they are so lame, and he also puts no back spin on them, resulting in a bouncing puck, rather than one that sits down. MIG would never do such a thing.

Pretty lifeless game tonight. Swaney with two goals, lost in a SO where no one from Iowa scored.

Overtime was pretty exciting though

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Man, Rossi is off. Very deliberate and slow with the puck, like Suter on the PP. Unlike Suter, he is missing his reads, and making bad passes.if you are going to hogthe puck, please don’t turn the puck over.
Milne back from injury. He looks fast and energetic, which is needed on this team

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Beat 4-0 last night. McIntyre in goal. Walker looked tired, maybe from going to AS game rather than resting. Wallstedt got to rest, he didn’t.
Rossi looked pretty good. I think I am seeing incremental improvement. Unlike Walker, looked rested….because he was…. Looking stronger, faster, and with good energy.Willing to go inside more, and take the abuse for doing that. Was almost comically bad on one goal. Fumbled a pass into his feet on a breakout, which turned over to the other team, then he deflected in a pass behind McIntyre. Overall positive play from him…still HATE his flip passes. He definitely comes from the Suter school of being deliberate with the puck, but he does mix it up and get more aggressive, at times. He needs to do both, so as not to be predictable, and easy to defend. MiG never used to shoot, and the word got out so defenders would always play the pass on him. With Rossi, he has to change up his pace of play. Nothing wrong with slowing it down, but that can’t be the only note he plays.

Almost the whole team was bad, but especially the forwards. Fogarty is usually reliable, but wasn’t. Braddock took a spearing major negating a PP, though the game was out of hand at that point. PP was uncharacteristically sloppy and bad. I like Swaney, but he seems like a classic tweener.
Beckman still shooting the puck, but ….meh. Milne was one of the few showing any jump and intensity. Almost scored a couple of times. Not sure that he has much skill. He’s fast, energetic, and might be strong enough to play in the NHL as a 4th liner in a year or two. A faster, bigger, Mason Shaw?

Hunt is still out, I’m assuming injured, which is not good, as he is a guy who seems to have trouble staying healthy. ROR and S Jo playing ok, but nothing eye opening. SJo definitely has some good offensive instincts. Needs to be a tad better skater, and put some strength on his long frame.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
1-1 in the 1st.

Walker out, I didn't catch the reason. Hopefully not an injury, and just a rest day. Hunt continues to be absent. Must be injured...

Beckman scored off a rebound from Swaney and ROR. He certainly doesn't need to be encouraged to shoot.

Wallstedt let in the 1st shoot, but it was a point blank deflection that caught the upper corner. No chance to react to that.

4-1 end of 1st. Goals by Mermis, Beckman's 2nd and Rossi. assists by Swaney(2), Hentges, Sustr with two points. Hentges looks pretty fast. Seems to be still finding his feet, but he looks interesting.

Beckman's 2nd he ripped from the slot on a nice turnaround feed from Swaney. Shooter shooting.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad