GDT: "Minimalist" - Oilers @ Flyers - 5PM MST - SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
^Weirdly disappointed in those line combos, want to see Maroon with some skill guys to see how he keeps up.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Hall-Draisaitl-Kassian
Yak-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-Letestu-Korpi
Hendricks-Lander-Cracknell

Sekera-Fayne
Pardy-Davidson
Nurse-Clendening

Per Bob.

I still don't understand why our rookie Dman who we should be trying to properly develop, is stuck with a partner that has absolutely nothing to teach, and cannot shelter him by any means.

I miss Oesterle.

Sekera Fayne
Oesterle Davidson
Nurse Pardy
Clendening

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
One of the media guys tweeted at the deadline, something along the lines of

Playing Yak with Mcdavid for 15 games to end the year isnt going to change the minds of GM's that have 4 years of history on him.

I totally agree with it to.

Maybe, maybe not. What we know for a fact is that saddling him with Lander or Letestu is going to hurt his value.

This is the time of year to experiment with different combos. Let him ride with the McDavid line for a few games and see how he does. He's a skilled player who needs a skilled center to play with and has produced fairly well when paired with skilled centers in the past (Gagner, Roy, McDavid) so he deserves a chance to prove himself.

Admittedly though, I do want to see Maroon on that line eventually.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
I still don't understand why our rookie Dman who we should be trying to properly develop, is stuck with a partner that has absolutely nothing to teach, and cannot shelter him by any means.

I miss Oesterle.

Sekera Fayne
Oesterle Davidson
Nurse Pardy
Clendening

Well because neither Oesterle nor Nurse can handle top 4 minutes at this stage, so what do you do? Give him the Schultz treatment and trot him out 20 mins/night or shelter him on third pair? Kind of a rock and a hard place

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I miss Oesterle.

Sekera Fayne
Oesterle Davidson
Nurse Pardy
Clendening

For what it's worth, Nurse and Clendening were much better last game

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Yak is on a short leash. Methinks One mistake and he's out of the top 6. Hopefully he can prove himself

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Oh yeah, and he will do all of that. Going to be a big addition to our team since we lost Poo.

If he's as much of a load in front, as suggested, I wonder if he'll basically take up one of PKers, giving McDavid, Hall, etc, more space to pass the puck? There's a ton of value in just that.

His puck control, I want to see that as well. My only worry how he does on puck retrieval.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'll say the first period worth. I'm curious what Maroon will look like as a net front presence on the powerplay, maybe open up more space for the rest of the unit.

Would be great if we could put him in front on a unit with Davidson and Yak on the point just firing bombs.

-----Maroon------

----Eberle ----- Mcdavid

----Davidson -----Yak

----- Kassian-----

----Drai ----Hall

----Clendening ----Sekera

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Yeah, I would like that. And see if maybe Hall and Ebs can get some chemistry together with Drai. Then has Kassian/Lander/Maroon to crush some bodies.

I would be really interested in those lines, especially the third. Lander and Kassian are great at possession and cycling, and apparently maroon is the same.

They could drive the opposition insane with the cycling and agitating and hitting that line would provide.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The one concern about Maroon on the McDavid line is that he's a pretty poor skater.
The reason why he played so well with Getzlaf and Perry, similar to Perron now, is because they play a slow down, cycle game. McDavid's line plays with a lot of pace, it's purely a rush line, so it'll be tough for Maroon to keep up.

Last edited:

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
Jim Matheson ‏@NHLbyMatty · 6m6 minutes ago

Brandon Manning who got death threats from low-lifes on twitter after McDavid inj is healthy scratch for Philly tonite.#EJLive

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Honestly, he is only an underrated scorer if you work for Hockey Canada. Everyone else has it figured out.

Maybe underrated wasnt the right word. Is he a sneaky scorer?

He's never scored 30 goals, and he's definitely a pass first guy. But he's a RH shot that can snipe a corner with the best of them. Unreal hands in tight.

I could gush about G endlessly... :naughty:

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Apparently McDavid compared his game to Giroux's recently saying he wants to be that strong presence at both ends of the ice, whether up by 1 or down by 1 like Giroux is for the Flyers.

Nice to see most of you Oilers fans respecting Giroux! Let's hope for an injury free hard fought game tonight!

I didn't see this, but I'm glad to hear it!
Got a link?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I miss Oesterle.

Sekera Fayne
Oesterle Davidson
Nurse Pardy
Clendening

Nurse-Clendening was actually dominant last game in terms of shot shares. Nurse had 7 shots by himself. I think playing Nurse less minutes against weaker comps with a puckmover partner is the right call.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Brandon Manning who got death threats from low-lifes on twitter after McDavid inj is healthy scratch for Philly tonite.#EJLive

I'm upset he's scratched because he's terrible.

Death threats though? Yeesh. You should have to pass some kind of psychological test in order to have social media.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

Death threats were dumb. Guy is just a hockey player and tried to do his job the only way he knew how.

But good job on Manning to "answer the bell". This is convincing me even more that the McD injury was a dirty and desperate play and not "just a mistake".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad