Confirmed Trade: [MIN/TBL] Zach Bogosian for 2025 7th round pick

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Interesting that he goes for a 7th, tells me no other offers, meaning Edmonton didn’t even inquire (or the Lightning have them black listed)

This is going to appear as a marginal move to much of the league, I think this was managerial excellence by Guerin. He acted quickly or had contingencies in place (as he should have with the Wild’s opening D roster) and made the move when it was necessary, while still allowing the players a chance to step up. I’m just one person but he gets an A+ for recognizing the issue and at least attempting to solve it before it grew.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Interesting that he goes for a 7th, tells me no other offers, meaning Edmonton didn’t even inquire (or the Lightning have them black listed)

This is going to appear as a marginal move to much of the league, I think this was managerial excellence by Guerin. He acted quickly or had contingencies in place (as he should have with the Wild’s opening D roster) and made the move when it was necessary, while still allowing the players a chance to step up. I’m just one person but he gets an A+ for recognizing the issue and at least attempting to solve it before it grew.

Far more likely the Lightning told Bogo that he was the odd man out when Vasy comes back, offered to facilitate a trade to his choice of the teams that wanted him, and took whatever that team felt like giving up for him.

This trade wasn’t about maximizing value for the Lightning - if it was it wouldn’t have been made in the first place as Bogo’s far more valuable to the organization as spare RD depth than the 7th round pick will be. It was about taking a guy who had served the team well for a number of years and giving him the opportunity to keep playing in the NHL.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Far more likely the Lightning told Bogo that he was the odd man out when Vasy comes back, offered to facilitate a trade to his choice of the teams that wanted him, and took whatever that team felt like giving up for him.

This trade wasn’t about maximizing value for the Lightning - if it was it wouldn’t have been made in the first place as Bogo’s far more valuable to the organization as spare RD depth than the 7th round pick will be. It was about taking a guy who had served the team well for a number of years and giving him the opportunity to keep playing in the NHL.
Yes, I understand the Tampa side and why the return is what it was, I just meant that it was curious that the Wild were the first team to make the move for him.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Yes, I understand the Tampa side and why the return is what it was, I just meant that it was curious that the Wild were the first team to make the move for him.

How do we know that they were though? Bogo lives in Minnesota in the offseason, his brother works for the organization, and his buddy Pat Maroon is on the team. It’s very likely the Lightning put out feelers, told him “these are your options”, and he chose the Wild. Doesn’t mean they were the first/only team after him is all I’m saying.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
How do we know that they were though? Bogo lives in Minnesota in the offseason, his brother works for the organization, and his buddy Pat Maroon is on the team. It’s very likely the Lightning put out feelers, told him “these are your options”, and he chose the Wild. Doesn’t mean they were the first/only team after him is all I’m saying.
It was just a veiled shot at the Oilers if I am being honest. They just waived a $5MM goalie rather than make a single small adjustment like this to their defense corps. It seems odd to me that they wouldn't have been in on this in any way or have made some kind of adjustment earlier.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Guerin sure loves his locker room types.
Also every hockey team does better with guys who are good in the room versus one guy who constantly complains, causes drama, and doesn't play amazing.

It's the good and bad of a GM who is not far removed from being a player. Good room should lead to better results although better results lead to a better room. But it's bad if he favors guys he likes too much and overpays. Bottom line is: it's still a sport played by humans who can be ruled by emotion, memory, prejudice and affection.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i am so effing confused. wasn't Bogo on waivers just before? why pay the 7th rounder?

- It's only a 7th rounder. Perhaps Guerin's a bit unhappy with a 5-5-2 start and wanted to shake things up.

- Claiming somebody on waivers takes a roster spot from somebody else. Maybe there wasn't a market for Addison a month ago or otherwise they might have had to waive him to make room for Bogosian.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
- It's only a 7th rounder. Perhaps Guerin's a bit unhappy with a 5-5-2 start and wanted to shake things up.

- Claiming somebody on waivers takes a roster spot from somebody else. Maybe there wasn't a market for Addison a month ago or otherwise they might have had to waive him to make room for Bogosian.
They were giving Addison a shot after he put in a lot of work in the offseason with the MN development staff. They also didn't have the cap space to claim him, we could only carry a league minimum guy until Spurgeon went on IR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad