Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] D Zach Bogosian signs extension with the Wild (2 years, $1.25M AAV)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You weren't alone. there was a reason he was picked so high in the draft. To be fair to him, injuries really messed him up.

So did how he attempted to recover from them. Few players have ever annoyed me as much for how they approached their heath off the ice vs how they played on it. And I can understand Team giving him relatively short term and low AAV. When things are higher term or longer length, some of his preparation seems to be extraordinarily mailed in.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
So did how he attempted to recover from them. Few players have ever annoyed me as much for how they approached their heath off the ice vs how they played on it. And I can understand Team giving him relatively short term and low AAV. When things are higher term or longer length, some of his preparation seems to be extraordinarily mailed in.

Care to expand? Don’t know much about this one, just that he sucked here and then got all salty about it when he got cut. Dude, you played poorly enough to get cut by an awful team and no one said boo about it, that’s how bad you were. Then the champs surprisingly pick him up and hey, it’s like he’s motivated and can play again!

I mean, happy for him and all that. Yay.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Gets paid like a #6 and can sit in the press box as a #7 if youth is available. Honestly if there's ones thing most NHL teams need because of Injuries it is bottom pairing defensemen that can play in the NHL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Care to expand? Don’t know much about this one, just that he sucked here and then got all salty about it when he got cut. Dude, you played poorly enough to get cut by an awful team and no one said boo about it, that’s how bad you were. Then the champs surprisingly pick him up and hey, it’s like he’s motivated and can play again!

I mean, happy for him and all that. Yay.

Part of it was role - Buffalo had expectations of him being able to perform to the salary he was getting when he arrived. And his first six-to-eight week stretch after coming over from the Jets, he was excellent. And then he hurt something - I've heard it was a hip labrum - and didn't get it surgically fixed and might not have actually done the things needed to rehab it fully the way it was needed. And so then it flared up again and he again didn't do the surgery. And again. And all the while, he's out and about, often not even in town, going hunting and fishing and when in town partying hard. So that went on for a while - years - until finally he was broken down enough that he couldn't handle the minutes. He didn't play well and didn't care about playing well. But he was tight with some of the key people on that team - Eichel, Kane, Reinhart - and they acted as though how they prepped and played actually was sufficient. Hockey was something he was doing seemingly so he could hang out playing cards with the boys.

Then he went off to Toronto and Tampa and he wasn't being asked to play top four minutes. He seems to have gotten a bit more serious about how he cares for himself, finally which is why he keeps kicking around as 3rd pairing/depth guy instead of being paid to be a top pairing player. Good for him for finally figuring that out. It doesn't mean that the years he was essentially stealing from the team I route for has changed my opinion of him as a person though. Worked in charity, raised money for some things... don't care. Not being professional enough to see how his play was a huge part of how bad those teams were nor how at the end they were doing him a favor by trying to play him despite how poorly he had taken care of himself and yet HE got mad about being waived and having his contract terminated... Maybe in a stronger room with better voices, his urge to fit in works in favor of prolonging his game. In Buffalo, he was right up with EKane as a poster boy for not being ready to play and trying to get by on his physique from when he was a teenager.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Part of it was role - Buffalo had expectations of him being able to perform to the salary he was getting when he arrived. And his first six-to-eight week stretch after coming over from the Jets, he was excellent. And then he hurt something - I've heard it was a hip labrum - and didn't get it surgically fixed and might not have actually done the things needed to rehab it fully the way it was needed. And so then it flared up again and he again didn't do the surgery. And again. And all the while, he's out and about, often not even in town, going hunting and fishing and when in town partying hard. So that went on for a while - years - until finally he was broken down enough that he couldn't handle the minutes. He didn't play well and didn't care about playing well. But he was tight with some of the key people on that team - Eichel, Kane, Reinhart - and they acted as though how they prepped and played actually was sufficient. Hockey was something he was doing seemingly so he could hang out playing cards with the boys.

Then he went off to Toronto and Tampa and he wasn't being asked to play top four minutes. He seems to have gotten a bit more serious about how he cares for himself, finally which is why he keeps kicking around as 3rd pairing/depth guy instead of being paid to be a top pairing player. Good for him for finally figuring that out. It doesn't mean that the years he was essentially stealing from the team I route for has changed my opinion of him as a person though. Worked in charity, raised money for some things... don't care. Not being professional enough to see how his play was a huge part of how bad those teams were nor how at the end they were doing him a favor by trying to play him despite how poorly he had taken care of himself and yet HE got mad about being waived and having his contract terminated... Maybe in a stronger room with better voices, his urge to fit in works in favor of prolonging his game. In Buffalo, he was right up with EKane as a poster boy for not being ready to play and trying to get by on his physique from when he was a teenager.

Great explanation, thanks! Kinda the vibe I got, but didn’t have the details.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
I keep thinking this guy career is winding down, but he keeps signing multi-year contracts. Good for him.
Might somehow be able to make it to 1000 games, 170 games away.
Assuming he's able to get into the final 20 games to finish the season giving him 850 games played. He'll have a 12 game grace over the next two season to hit the 1000 game milestone.

I always root for guys to reach 1000 games. Like Im probably the only fan in the world that was devastated when TJ Oshie pulled his groin with 4 games to 1000, Erik Johnson finally got shelved with 30 games to go our Nick Bonino got waived with just over 130 games . But There's no way Bogosian's body is going to hold up to allow him to reach the milestone. And this does feel like his last contract.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
IF, there were no significant interest from other teams, I'm okay with another year at no more than a million. We have no depth at defense, and his injury risks are abated with a one year deal. But two years is simply unnecessary and once again speaks to Guerin's ineptitude as manager. Having another veteran player on contract when the cap hell ends in 2025-26 is another roadblock to remaking the team. The Bogosians of the NHL are common. You can find one later if you desire. You can tell there wasn't a real plan for 2025 when they bought out Parise and Suter.

At only 33, he’s young for this team. Guerin had to get him locked up. You wouldn’t want to open up a roster spot for one of your draft picks.
Precisely.
At $1.25 mil you can easily put him in the minors, or just healthy scratch him as needed.

Not as easy as you might think. He's going to want out, as Tampa had to do.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Not as easy as you might think. He's going to want out, as Tampa had to do.

So I'll always like Bogo as he was one of the original Jets 2.0 who came over from Atlanta.

I haven't followed him closely - but what did Tampa have to do? Looking at it - Sabres bought out his contract (it was for a lot more than $1.25 mil) in spring 2020. Tampa signed him to $1.3 mil for the rest of the season. He played that year, won the cup with Tampa playing 8 games as a depth player.

Unless if they gave him a full no-move (which seems highly unlikely) Minny should be able to bench or assign him to the minors with no issues is need be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad