Waived: [MIN] D Dakota Mermis waived by the Wild (cleared)

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I won’t rag on him too much but I hope he gets claimed. He could be useful in a year or two but he is not playable right now for the Wild.

Good puck skills and offensive instincts in a solid physical package. Pure chaos in his own zone though, constantly blows coverage, fails to recognize the correct threats, doesn’t trust his teammates and tries to double cover rather than maintain his positioning, takes awful angles and generally just needs to re-learn a defensive system.

Reactions: harv33173

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
1700251215667.png

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He is a serviceable 6.5 defenseman, nephew of long time Viking and short time Buccaneer Randall McDaniel

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames should put in a claim.

We need serviceable bodies on the blueline if we're potentially moving 3 defensemen and we can still send DeSimone down to the AHL without waivers.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
He has been decent this season. I’d much rather have Mermis on the ice than Goligoski or Merrill

Reactions: Satch

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Guess there's not a big demand for him but I thought he acquitted himself well playing for the Wild during their stretch against the Metro Division teams.

Saw a bit of action with New Jersey during the dark days a couple of seasons ago.

Good to see him having some success.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Well he knows what he needs to work on now to get back into the lineup. Raw energy and physical effort are not enough to survive in this league as a defenseman. I will just leave this little snippet from The Athletic with quotes from the game without him in the lineup, today's game was also a strong defense corp effort with his replacement scoring a goal:

"Gustavsson said his legs “felt like spaghetti” early on but he got better as the game wore on. “I just tried to do my part,” he said. Gustavsson noticed a much better performance in front of him.

That was evident on a much more patient, conservative penalty kill in which the Wild avoided being too aggressive and getting victimized by running around.

“A lot of trust in each other,” Gustavsson said. “This is what I remember from last year, when we would play (well). I think we’re better when we have these low-scoring games, than chasing and scoring a lot of goals. This is us. We have to keep trying like this.”"

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was ok for his role. Better skater than Middleton and Merrill... haven't seen enough of Bogosian to form an opinion. Certainly better than Addison defensively, and the equal of Merrill. Not great, but not terrible with the puck. Not a beast, but combative, and will fight. A team can do worse with him as their #6D.

If he was RH, or younger(he's 29 yo?), or two inches taller(6' on tippytoes) he would've been claimed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad