Confirmed with Link: Milano 3x1.9

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
If I have one complaint with GMBM's contracts, is man loves adding term for seemingly no reason.

At least the AAV is low enough that it's not hard to get out of if something goes off.
Term keeps value down and is not really the end of the world, I can't see the problem with it. It's helped more times than hurt so far and seems to be a tactic used on guys who want the security and guaranteed time to bet on themselves.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If I have one complaint with GMBM's contracts, is man loves adding term for seemingly no reason.

At least the AAV is low enough that it's not hard to get out of if something goes off.
It’s not for “no reason”, it’s how he gets low AAV.

You don’t just get to offer a contract with your preferred term and AAV and the client takes it. It requires compromise on either term or pay, I’d rather longer term and lower AAV every single time vs the inverse.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
This contract is a lot like Sheary. Good, cheap, wheels who can play up and down the lineup. And now we have him locked in cheap for 3 years And he is only 26. Great move since he clearly seems to fit here. I would be surprised to see us re-sign Sheary now.

Reactions: Neil Racki

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Not sure I'd be happy with my agent if I were MIlano.
He’s been with four different organizations since 2019-20. If he goes to UFA again he may be looking at another PTO/league minimum “prove it” situation entering his age 27 season. Stability could be important to him and if he does well he can still get another contract at 29.

If you remember, DSP chose to turn down stability for another prove it contract entering his age 28 season and it was a spectacular failure — his career was over after that year. He played in the KHL after that year because he couldn’t get an NHL contract then played parts of two seasons for two different teams before retiring from pro hockey at 30.

The older players get the less likely the chance of them sticking around. He parlayed getting released from a PTO to start the season to netting $3.5M for three seasons of work half way through the same season which is not too shabby.

Reactions: DWGie26 and usiel

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
He’s been with four different organizations since 2019-20. If he goes to UFA again he may be looking at another PTO/league minimum “prove it” situation entering his age 27 season. Stability could be important to him and if he does well he can still get another contract at 29.

If you remember, DSP chose to turn down stability for another prove it contract entering his age 28 season and it was a spectacular failure — his career was over after that year. He played in the KHL after that year because he couldn’t get an NHL contract then played parts of two seasons for two different teams before retiring from pro hockey at 30.

The older players get the less likely the chance of them sticking around. He parlayed getting released from a PTO to start the season to netting $3.5M for three seasons of work half way through the same season which is not too shabby.
Point is spot in. I don’t get your figures, but it’s not really relevant to the statement (750k plus 2.35m + 1.9m + 1.45m……so 5m for the 3yrs inclusive this one?)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Point is spot in. I don’t get your figures, but it’s not really relevant to the statement (750k plus 2.35m + 1.9m + 1.45m……so 5m for the 3yrs inclusive this one?)
I meant $3.5M net for his next contract. At $5.7M in contract value he’ll probably only see 55-60% (and maybe less) of that in cash flow after paying federal and state taxes, agent fees, NHLPA fees/escrow, etc. 60% of $5.7M is $3.42M over three years. Add another $450-500k for this year’s net salary and you’re closer to $3.8-4M net for four years. Not exact math because I don’t know the exact figures in fees he’s paying but likely not too far off.

It’s still life changing money if he manages it correctly, especially given his prior earnings (roughly $7M in gross income). By the time this next contract is over he’ll be 29 and have earned almost$13M in gross income from his hockey career which should set him up for life if he’s not dumb with his money. Not too bad.

What’s wild is that some players’ effective tax rate is more than 50% depending on where they live. Players in Toronto, Montreal, California, and New York often take home less than 50% of what their stated salary is when all is said and done. Compare that to places like Florida or Texas where players take home 60%+ of their salary and you’re looking at differences of millions (or tens of millions of dollars for the highest paid players) in gross pay over the lifetime of the contract for the same contract.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I meant $3.5M net for his next contract. At $5.7M in contract value he’ll probably only see 55-60% (and maybe less) of that in cash flow after paying federal and state taxes, agent fees, NHLPA fees/escrow, etc. 60% of $5.7M is $3.42M over three years. Add another $450-500k for this year’s net salary and you’re closer to $3.8-4M net for four years. Not exact math because I don’t know the exact figures in fees he’s paying but likely not too far off.

It’s still life changing money if he manages it correctly, especially given his prior earnings (roughly $7M in gross income). By the time this next contract is over he’ll be 29 and have earned almost$13M in gross income from his hockey career which should set him up for life if he’s not dumb with his money. Not too bad.

What’s wild is that some players’ effective tax rate is more than 50% depending on where they live. Players in Toronto, Montreal, California, and New York often take home less than 50% of what their stated salary is when all is said and done. Compare that to places like Florida or Texas where players take home 60%+ of their salary and you’re looking at differences of millions (or tens of millions of dollars for the highest paid players) in gross pay over the lifetime of the contract for the same contract.
There is a reason many players start their No Trade List with all Canadien Teams except maybe Toronto Because it is Toronto even though same economics. It’s actually a real problem for Canadian teams.

If the NHL really wants to further hockey in Canada there need to do something like have Cap Hits count differently. The teams would still have the burden of paying the cash and Canadian dollar sucks So not sure it works unless ownership is willing to take deep loses.

but yeah, real problem for Canadian Teams And the future of whether NHL can continue in Canada the way it is. Montreal and Toronto will likely be OK. Vancouver is a wealthy province so if they can figure their shit out, they should survive. Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton could struggle down the road.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
So now that the off-season is mostly over where do Caps fans see Milano play this season?

In the top 6 mostly as a Sheary replacement? Or in the bottom 6?

Do you see him improve a bit going forward or not really?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
So now that the off-season is mostly over where do Caps fans see Milano play this season?

In the top 6 mostly as a Sheary replacement? Or in the bottom 6?

Do you see him improve a bit going forward or not really?

Middle six with spot time on the top line is where I see him. Likely is who he is at this point which is a fine complementary top 9 winger.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4