Milan Michalek

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yotes fan coming in peace. Since I don't get to really watch Sens games, I just wanted to hear your overall thoughts regarding Milan's play this season. I've noticed that Milan has been regaining his scoring touch playing with Hemsky. But how has his skating/play without the puck been in general? Will the Sens attempt to resign him? He's an obvious target for the Yotes this offseason considering our own Czech contingent and a need for a top 6 scoring winger for Ribs. Of course though his injury history is a major concern.

Thanks so much!

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
his skating is quick to fast now, but in the past he was much faster than that. At this point, he can be counted to PK and is reliable, and can chip in offensively from time to time. How much offense will depend on his continuous recovery.

Imo he won't cost much and is a relatively good risk reward signing, but injury concerns may continue to exist.

Any interest in giving us Stone?
maybe a 6th or 7th conditional at the draft

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Wasn't as explosive as he was before (knee)

Also, his hands aren't as great as before either. His stick handling abilities use to be a lot better in 2011/2012. I still remember that goal vs Washington. Thing of beauty.

He's not bad, just not like he was in 2011/2012.
Although, these past few games, he's looking quite the bit better.

Still a viable top six forward though.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
hes going to you guys in the off season, i would expect him to be a solid second line guy, who can play on your first if needed, his speed comes in spurts some nights its their some nights its not, when he is on his hot streaks he's the best player on the ice at all times, i would expect him to chip 20-25 goals next season this was a weak year because he is coming off a injury riddled season, and got major knee done all of last year. Overall he will be a good pick up.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He's a 3rd liner with zero hockey sense thats earned every bit of his garbage plus minus.

He's only good for standing in front of the net and is decent at PKing.

He can skate fast when he wants. Rarely uses his speed.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Any interest in giving us Stone?

Stone had generally disappointed in his defensive + puck decision making progression for most of the season (despite him cashing in handsomely with that cannon of a shot of his). But his game has found another level the past couple of weeks playing in our top 4 with Yandle, logging some huge minutes (~26:00 TOI in the NJ game) and really becoming a much more physical presence.

Needless to say, we're kinda in a conundrum with Stone. He isn't a core piece like OEL or Yandle, and I'm not sure he'd be an ideal partner for either of them at 5v5. He does have the most NHL experience among our defensive up-and-comers (Murphy, Summers, Gormley) and his improving offensive production + physicality should give him nice trade value, probably for a similarly-aged young forward with top 6 upside But even given our continuing talent needs at forward, Stone is a nice piece to have on our blueline, and it'd be hard to trade him after seeing him progress nicely in our system.

Anyways, I know you guys would like to reunite the Stones, but I don't know if there's a trade to be made involving Mike that would fit our needs.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I think he's the exact type of player the Sens need to re-sign as long as they're an "internal cap" team.

He's had a bad enough year where I doubt he makes anything over $4 000 000, so I'd try and sign him somewhere below that for a 1-2 year contract and hope he can get 20-20 playing with Spezza and Hemsky.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
A good player that is constantly dealing with injuries.

He is still a big body that works hard and goes to the net. Decent hands and strong defensively. Michalek has lost some speed but is still quick for a big guy.

He should probably move on from the Sens but he would be a decent $4 million guy elsewhere. If he could ever stay healthy, he could be a very good player.

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
If the Sens can keep Hemsky, I'd like to see Michalek stick around for no more than $4m a season. Maybe 3 seasons.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Stone had generally disappointed in his defensive + puck decision making progression for most of the season (despite him cashing in handsomely with that cannon of a shot of his). But his game has found another level the past couple of weeks playing in our top 4 with Yandle, logging some huge minutes (~26:00 TOI in the NJ game) and really becoming a much more physical presence.

Needless to say, we're kinda in a conundrum with Stone. He isn't a core piece like OEL or Yandle, and I'm not sure he'd be an ideal partner for either of them at 5v5. He does have the most NHL experience among our defensive up-and-comers (Murphy, Summers, Gormley) and his improving offensive production + physicality should give him nice trade value, probably for a similarly-aged young forward with top 6 upside But even given our continuing talent needs at forward, Stone is a nice piece to have on our blueline, and it'd be hard to trade him after seeing him progress nicely in our system.

Anyways, I know you guys would like to reunite the Stones, but I don't know if there's a trade to be made involving Mike that would fit our needs.

Thanks for the info on Stone. I would like to see us resign Michalek and Hemsky given how the Spezza line has played with them on it, but it certainly would be interesting to reunite both the Michaleks and the Stones in one trade, maybe a sign and trade? But if you don't see a fit there, I guess there is nothing to be done. I myself am one Sens fan that would be just as happy to resign Milan.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Let me just say this:

Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky is probably the worst top line to try and contend with in the NHL. Mainly because it could score(sometimes) but go invisible defensively(all the time) with ZERO grit.

So someone has to go... you choose.

I recall today's game where Michalek missed 3-4 passes in the middle of the ice from his defenders. Completely UNACCEPTABLE from him.

How do you expect to generate offense or stick around for 4 million when you can't even hang on to the ****ing puck?

John Holmes*

I'd rather see what Puempel and or Hoffman could do in a full season.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the info on Stone. I would like to see us resign Michalek and Hemsky given how the Spezza line has played with them on it, but it certainly would be interesting to reunite both the Michaleks and the Stones in one trade, maybe a sign and trade? But if you don't see a fit there, I guess there is nothing to be done. I myself am one Sens fan that would be just as happy to resign Milan.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Maloney would rather just wait to see if Milan hits UFA then sign him for free instead of giving over Stone in a sign-and-trade. :)

If there was mutual interest, I would have to think our targets for Mike would be one of your winger prospects, e.g. Prince, Puempel, or Hoffman. But I don't know if they'd be able to contribute immediately, much less if Tippett would even play them - last I checked, all 3 of those guys aren't particularly good defensively.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Michalek has been & still is a very good NHL player. It isn't all that long ago when the MAJORITY of people on here were very happy to get him in return for the Heatley deal & he has had a few good seasons with Spezza. He's only 30 yrs old & for those who say he has lost a step he won the fastest skater at Ottawa's skill competitions this yr & he still has the potential to put up another 50 pts, as does Hemsky on this line.

Michalek has had his share of injury problems & this season every player on this team has had their issues & problems including the best players on this team not just Michalek. He's a first line player on this team who will be very hard to replace in the off season should he walk. How long has Ottawa been looking for another forward to play with Spezza & now that they have found one people want to get rid of his other winger? I guess people won't mind them if the coach puts Greening back up there with Spezza after they let Michalek go? Melnyk is not going to open up his wallet for the kind of player people want Ottawa to sign to play on that first line. Michalek may just be the best UFA option for Ottawa especially considering how well those three are playing together now. IMO Stone will be on the team next yr but I don't see any other prospect who will be as good as Michalek is right now including Stone at both ends of the ice.

JustinYS

Oct 21, 2010
A decent Top 6 F I think. Definitely helps him to have Hemsky there. Hope to see him re-signed if we are keeping Hemsky.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
My opinion changes like day and night with this guy. I don't know what to think of anymore.

I agree and I take back my original comments. The bottom line is this guy does not show up when he's needed - earlier in the season. I'm glad he found chemistry w/ Hemsky but what if they both are re-signed and Hemsky gets injured next season? Then another goal drought? I don't think it would be wise to keep him. Another forward can move up to take his spot - hopefully someone defensively responsible to keep Spetsa in check.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Let me just say this:

Michalek-Spezza-Hemsky is probably the worst top line to try and contend with in the NHL. Mainly because it could score(sometimes) but go invisible defensively(all the time) with ZERO grit.

So someone has to go... you choose.

I recall today's game where Michalek missed 3-4 passes in the middle of the ice from his defenders. Completely UNACCEPTABLE from him.

How do you expect to generate offense or stick around for 4 million when you can't even hang on to the ****ing puck?
In my opinion, that's true except when you realize that it's more of a 1A 1B combo with Turris's line.

I think that makes that top line viable.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Re-sign Hemmer and let him walk. We have Stone, Hoffman and Lazar all guys who can step in and takeover his role.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
He won't be back unless Murray is an idiot and stupidly overpays for him. If he really loves Ottawa and wants to stay he better be ready to take a huge pay cut and a short-term deal.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
My only concern if we resign michalek would be his work ethic after knowing he has secured a contract, he seems like the guy who will take extra time off with injuries, and will begin to care less once he is inked to a deal.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
From what I've been told, that's a load of BS. The org loves this guy for his professionalism and work ethic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad