Status
Not open for further replies.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
(MOD EDIT)

1. Be respectful of the other posters.

2. If you disagree with someone you have three options:

A. Write an intelligent and respectful counterargument.
B. If you feel the post violates site rules, hit the report button (the little yield symbol down there) and let a moderator deal with it.
C. Ignore it and move on.

-----

Best players don't get scratched to send a message. It doesn't help the team and that's why it barely ever happens. I'm glad you're not a coach in the NHL. The players are people, not robots or animals that respond to punishment the way you seem to think they do. With a very young, undisciplined team some form of that might work with some players, but the Wild aren't the Oilers.

No. They lose their letters though. Elias lost his "C" because that team couldn't win. Stastny lost his after they couldn't cough up wins. Modano lost his.

May be time to send a message to the 1C that he isn't playing like a 1C and he isn't getting the guys fired up.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
No. They lose their letters though. Elias lost his "C" because that team couldn't win. Stastny lost his after they couldn't cough up wins. Modano lost his.

May be time to send a message to the 1C that he isn't playing like a 1C and he isn't getting the guys fired up.

Yep.

bear1

Mar 3, 2011

Modano should never had a C

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

You are starting to convince me, but I have heard nothing but good things about Koivu as captain.

So who becomes captain afterwards? I would probably go with Parise.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I have a feeling that ripping C from Koivu would cause koivu to want a trade. Lets not forget how proud of a dude Koivu us and he wouldn't take that very well. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, all I'm saying is I can see Koivu throw a ***** fit.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
I have a feeling that ripping C from Koivu would cause koivu to want a trade. Lets not forget how proud of a dude Koivu us and he wouldn't take that very well. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, all I'm saying is I can see Koivu throw a ***** fit.

If he would throw a ****ing fit over that, he should have the C ripped from his chest today.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
You are starting to convince me, but I have heard nothing but good things about Koivu as captain.

So who becomes captain afterwards? I would probably go with Parise.

The guys are not gonna talk bad about their Captain, let alone any other player on the team, to the public. That goes for every team. But if the team is not performing to expectations it starts with locker room changes. They've made "splashes" every year since Fletcher arrived here and nothing has sparked it. But, as will be said none of us know what goes on in that lockerroom. We speculate and that is what makes being a fan that much more aggravating :biglaugh:

It would most likely go to Zach because he is already the "go to" public speaker to broadcasters and journalists. He does radio shows and pretty much every interview. How much of that is Miko not wanting to it or because he is focusing on the next game is something none of us know.

First this:

Ronnie Hortense: Boys.

Xavier LaFlamme: Coach.

Ronnie Hortense: Well, one of you has really been impressing me with your play lately, and one of you hasn't. Either one of you wanna venture to guess as to who's who?

[pause]

Ronnie Hortense: Ok, well, LaFlamme I'm ripping that "A" off your jersey. You don't deserve it unless the "A" stands for *******, which is the way you've been playing. Glatt, you're promoted. Assistant captain. Good on ya, keep up the good work. There's the game puck. I'm proud of you!

Doug Glatt: Thanks, coach.

Ronnie Hortense: Xavier, you can take this the right way or the wrong way, son! Ladies' choice.

This is a business, and this business can only succeed if risks are done to see what happens. Strip the "C" and put an "A" on him and no Captain on this team. Lets see if it fires him up. We all want Koivu to be the 1C and Captain of this team. He should be happy he isn't getting his head called for by the writers like we have seen in years past in bigger markets. He's had it pretty easy here in that terms.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
This again *yawn*

Hey, it's a step forward. We usually just frantically freak out and just say for Koivu to lose his captaincy. This time around, we are actually providing reasons and having an intelligent debate! :handclap:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Oh good God not this again. Parise won't get anyone fired up any more than Koivu. :facepalm::facepalm:

If he would throw a ****ing fit over that, he should have the C ripped from his chest today.

Not necessarily throw a fit but yes, I too think he would ask for a trade. I doubt his pride would allow him to stick around, he would probably see leaving as the best choice. Some people are like that and he definitely strikes me as that type. It's not always a bad quality to have. That's not throwing a fit, it's called having too much pride. So if you want him gone from the team altogether, go ahead and do it.

Then there's the 'small' issue that Parise wouldn't be comfortable taking that letter from Koivu. I doubt he'd want it unless Koivu was no longer with the team. IIRC, Russo wrote Parise feels extremely uncomfortable when someone says they should give him Koivu's letter. Whether you like it or not, Parise seems to think the team has the right captain.

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Same goes with captains.

Parise isn't any better of a leader than Koivu is, at least that's the impression I've got so far.

But sure, let's panic half way through the season (we still have good chances to make the playoffs) and cause unnecessary drama with stripping Koivu from the C.

And no: Koivu doesn't eat puppies for breakfast. :sarcasm:

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

Parise isn't any better of a leader than Koivu is, at least that's the impression I've got so far.

But sure, let's panic half way through the season (we still have good chances to make the playoffs) and cause unnecessary drama with stripping Koivu from the C.

I'm not calling for Koivu to lose his C, hope I didn't leave the wrong impression. I didn't bring it up. Have heard nothing but good things, maybe in general our leaders need to speak up in the room? It seems that with all the 1 on 1 chats Yeo is having (maybe just because of this losing streak and slump) our leaders might not be speaking up like they should and leading this team.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'm not calling for Koivu to lose his C, hope I didn't leave the wrong impression. I didn't bring it up. Have heard nothing but good things, maybe in general our leaders need to speak up in the room? It seems that with all the 1 on 1 chats Yeo is having (maybe just because of this losing streak and slump) our leaders might not be speaking up like they should and leading this team.

Truth is, we have no idea what goes on in the locker room. Koivu is a captain in both Team Finland and Wild for a reason. We have what, 3 guys who are/have been captains in the NHL or the national team? He strikes me as a natural leader, so I doubt this slump is caused by things that go on inside the locker room.

I highly doubt the losing streak is caused by leaders not speaking up.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
So, ripping C from Koivu would make him to ask for a trade. Well, there you have it - two birds with one stone. An easy way to get rid of "bad captain"/"bad 1st line center" Koivu altogether as a by product of fixing the captaincy issue... oh, wait...

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Truth is, we have no idea what goes on in the locker room. Koivu is a captain in both Team Finland and Wild for a reason. We have what, 3 guys who are/have been captains in the NHL or the national team? He strikes me as a natural leader, so I doubt this slump is caused by things that go on inside the locker room.

I highly doubt the losing streak is caused by leaders not speaking up.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

You misrepresented someone's argument to make it easier to attack.

Everything I say to you, you seem to try and manipulate.

I never said the losing streak was caused by leaders not speaking up. I never said Koivu was a bad leader. I never said I know what is going on in the locker room.

I merely speculated that maybe in this bad streak we are in, the leaders in the locker room are not speaking up enough. The reason why I mentioned this was because Yeo has been having one on ones with the leaders/veterans on the team, according to Russo. We seem to never be able to get out of slumps like this. This can either be the teams fault, a mind set/mental problem or Yeo losing the attention team half way through the year. Absolutely everybody needs to step it up in order to get out of a slump like this, or it will happen forever. The coaches, the leaders and the veterans need to stay positive and get the team going.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Everything I say to you, you seem to try and manipulate.

I never said the losing streak was caused by leaders not speaking up. I never said Koivu was a bad leader. I never said I know what is going on in the locker room.

I merely speculated that maybe in this bad streak we are in, the leaders in the locker room are not speaking up enough. The reason why I mentioned this was because Yeo has been having one on ones with the leaders/veterans on the team, according to Russo. We seem to never be able to get out of slumps like this. This can either be the teams fault, a mind set/mental problem or Yeo losing the attention team half way through the year. Absolutely everybody needs to step it up in order to get out of a slump like this, or it will happen forever. The coaches, the leaders and the veterans need to stay positive and get the team going.

I know what you said. Your argument is basically 100% speculating that our leaders aren't speaking up enough. I know what you mean, but I do not think that our leaders not speaking up enough is the problem - or even a part of it. Part of being a leader is speaking up when you need to, hence my mentions about Koivu being a leader for a reason. We have 3 experienced leaders, hence my mention about them. I never even mentioned you saying that Koivu is a bad leader. And I know you didn't bring this topic up. The post I made in the first place wasn't directed at you, but generally to the whole strip-Koivu-of-his-captaincy topic.

I think this slump is about Yeo being unable to do good matchups spiced by injuries.

Also, I know you didn't mean that our leaders are the problem - English isn't my first language, something often gets lost in translation. I'd appreciate if you'd argue the point and not call me a manipulator.

Last edited:

J22*

Hey, it's a step forward. We usually just frantically freak out and just say for Koivu to lose his captaincy. This time around, we are actually providing reasons and having an intelligent debate! :handclap:

Thanks for that:laugh:

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Not necessarily throw a fit but yes, I too think he would ask for a trade.

Well, Mikko ain't Marek, so I doubt that.

He's also one who hasn't succeed in the end. He must understand this. If there's gonna be a new coach, new coach can choose his captains however he wants. While Mikko is a leader, he isn't the only one. It's not like the end of the world. Might even give him some spark.

countrygentleman

The Kaptain Says ARR
Jan 14, 2010
Minnesota

Are you sure it isn't broken? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

A whole lot of losing and negative +/- ratings over the past five seasons might indicate otherwise.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I don't think Koivu should get the C taken, more so that we just need someone to light a fire under this teams collective A$$. The best shakeup I can see if firing Yeo and bringing in a Lavio. The idea should be floated around that he could lose his C but I don't think it'll happen. Hopefully the thought of losing the C can get him to get himself and this team more fired up. Losing a C is not always a sign of a bad captain, it can also be the sign of a dead team. This team as a whole is a problem and changing captains isn't going to fix that. It will just cause undue stress and it won't help in the long run of things. What happens if he loses the C? Does he get a chance to earn it back or is it gone for good? I think if we pull the C from him, it'll just lead to another carousel of captains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad