Kings News: Mike Stothers hired as head coach of the Manchester Monarchs

hockeynutz

Mar 17, 2004
i expect them to make a shultz like signing for the forward there. They have to do something this next couple months With the nhl team set i hope they do something to help the ahl team.

not holding my breath on that one. :shakehead

i'm reserving judgment on stothers.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
ok well who has he developed that is currently in the nhl ? I'm open to hear the reasons to why him over someone else Being the cup champs you would think you could hire a winning coach

Was also an assistant with Stevens for two years on the Phantoms.

As far as players? Bobby Ryan, Theo Peckham, Brad Richardson, Mark Giordano, Josh Bailey, Wayne Simmonds, Trevor Lewis, David Kolomatis, Kyle Quincey, Jimmy Howard, Quinton Howden. Notice a trend? Almost all lunch box players that are team first, never quit players. I like it. Seems almost like a less surly Sutter.

He was also the guy that tipped Futa off to Simmonds and pushed for LA to draft him.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Really surprised Morris didn't get a job with any NHL clubs.

More surprised that he wasn't resigned by the Kings organization.

Anyone know why?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Really surprised Morris didn't get a job with any NHL clubs.

More surprised that he wasn't resigned by the Kings organization.

Anyone know why?

There are not many Assistant jobs out there, also I doubt any (NHL)team hires Morris as a head coach at this time.

Something should come up within the next year or two for Morris.

Wish him luck, great guy, great coach.

SC2008

Oct 14, 2006
It's not about the records.

The Kings want a coach down in Manchester that develops the Kids (the Kings way).

This. Its hard to gauge by records with so much turnover. If a player is good they usually get called up. Its all about development.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Keep Mark Morris off Vancouver.

That team actually disgusts Sean O'Donnell to the point he voiced his displeasure in an episode of Kings Live to the effect of "The Canucks act like they're a dynasty even when they only have two President's Trophy to show for it" and he did so during a post-game regular season game versus the Canucks.

Yes, I do agree in having him go East, just to see it fortified. I would find the notion of Morris, coaching Sidney Crosby, amusing to see.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

David Strehle @DStrehleTFP · 16h

Told by a trusted source that former-Manchester Monarchs head coach Mark Morris will be named one of Gerard Gallant's assistants in FLA.

Best of luck and what should be eventually a head coach position in the NHL

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Panthers Add Experience in Morris to Staff

2-year contract.

Conversations at the NHL Draft seemed to go a long way in the hiring process.

"I got a chance to meet (new Panthers' head coach) Gerard (Gallant) at the draft, and we seemed to hit it off," Morris said of the whirlwind past couple of weeks. "Then I got the call. It's been kind of a crazy month. In one breath you don't know if you're ever going to coach again, then all of a sudden you find yourself with a new organization, one with lots of promise."

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
Hubie McDonough mention who the other coaching candaites were in an article with the Union Leader (newspaper in Manchester)

McDonough said that Stothers was one of four initial candidates for the job. The others were former Monarchs assistant coach Scott Pellerin, Karl Taylor, former coach of the Los Angeles Kings ECHL affiliate in Ontario, Calif., and Ryan Huska.

The Kings narrowed the field to Stothers and Huska, who ended up taking the AHL job with Abbotsford (Calgary's affiliate).

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20140706/SPORTS0702/140709582/1003/sports07

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad