Kings News: Mike Stothers hired as head coach of the Manchester Monarchs

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Oh wow, that's surprising considering the number of players who were called up and fit in like a glove. Wondering what the reasoning is as to why his contract won't be renewed.

Think Freddy Meyer will be promoted or do they pursue another junior/college coach to take over?

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Curious. The header seems to indicate that it was the Kings decision not to offer him an extension, while Lombardi's comments seem to suggest that he's ready to coach at a higher level. Were the Kings not interested in his services anymore or is Morris looking for greener pastures? I mean he seems like a hell of a coach for developing players, even though playoff success has been elusive for the club you can't argue with his track record of molding young players into NHLers. I don't see why the Kings wouldn't be interested in keeping him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Holy crap, I didn't expect that at all. Moving on to a well-deserved NHL position??

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here's the full statement:
http://www.manchestermonarchs.com/news/monarchsnews/?article_id=347

The following is a statement from Kings President and General Manager, Dean Lombardi:

“We appreciate the job Mark has done for us in Manchester. The team’s success on the ice during his tenure and his contributions in helping prepare our young players to be successful at the NHL level have been key contributors to the success of our organization as a whole. These ideals will continue to be a priority for us going forward and we wish Mark the utmost success as there is no doubt he is ready for the next step in his career.”

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Full quote provided for those too lazy to click, heh.

But yeah, sounds like Morris may have been looking to pursue a position with an NHL club. I'm sure he'll land somewhere.

The Slap Shop

Shop Like a King
Dec 23, 2002
Visit site
Full quote provided for those too lazy to click, heh.

But yeah, sounds like Morris may have been looking to pursue a position with an NHL club. I'm sure he'll land somewhere.

Well he had a deal with Buffalo last year, but something fell apart. Could also be a reason why the Kings are getting rid of him because when the news broke the Kings management had no clue about it.

DeeMeck

Jan 19, 2008
Morris will be in high demand.

There will be several suitors who will want to institute a Kings' type of playing style throughout their organization.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Interested in seeing if he ends up as an assistant or a head coach. The Blues renewed Hitchcock today but also relieved one of his assistants. There are plenty of coaching vacancies with Vancouver, Washington, Carolina and Florida looking to hire a new coaching staff. Who knows if more vacancies will open up, and it seems all but certain that Trotz will land somewhere as well.

KingKopitar11*

First hextall is a gm, and now Morris is going. The heart ache.

Morris should take over Vancouver position. Even though I don't like the Canucks, I think it would be the best fit for him and the Canucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Had to figure this was coming. I'm sure as much the Kings wanted to keep him, I think they knew that he wants to coach in the NHL. He deserves it and he's certainly ready.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Interesting move by Blake. I'm curious to see who he is replaced with. I like Morris and he has been great for us, though he has been around forever and it is obvious that the Kings will never promote him. Should be a good opportunity for him. I'd expect him to be picked up quickly by someone, especially with how many jobs there are out there right now... This is the best chance Morris has had to go to the NHL.

KingKopitar11*

Watch Hexi announce Morris is the NEW head coach in Philly :sarcasm:

;)

That would suck, I hate the flyers because I can't stand most important of their fans and this girl I knew was an annoying flyers fan she made me hate them more lol.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Are the Monarchs still looking at moving to Ontario (California)? Maybe has something to do with him not wanting to follow the team...

Oh well best of luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad