Value of: Mike Smith's next contract

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Hopefully not on the Oilers, but then again, I wish Koskinen was not on the Oilers either. The Oilers have really blown it on the goaltending situation.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Guy's had a really good career. If you redraft 2001, he's for sure #1 goalie, top 15 or maybe a top 10 pick. When he's good, he's very, very good, but it's probably not a coincidence he's played his best behind good, Dave Tippett-coached teams. Guy's a great athlete, wouldn't worry about him breaking down physically, but he is pushing 40.

Anton Khudobin just signed for $3.5 a year to do a 1a/1b thing in Dallas, and I see Smith getting that for 1 year at a time from a good team that has an uncertain goaltending situation.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I've seen 3 Edmonton games this season. Koskinen was trash when I saw him, and Smith was fantastic. The team looked different in front of him.

I'm certain a contract will be 1 year at a time, going forward. But Edmonton would be smart to keep Smith around for one more year, at least. Because you need someone to take starts away from Koskinen, who's signed for another year.

Smith is going to be carrying the mail for Edmonton now heading into the playoffs, no question.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I would assume it would be something similar to what he's on now.

1 year deal with a ~$1.5M base and then $500k-$1M in games played/playoff bonuses.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I feel like anything over 1 or 2 years would be insane. He's not really at the point in his career to warrant a multi year deal.
1 year deals moving forward as the safe move.
Yeah, its not like hes been consistently good in his later years either.

Hes having a great season, one of the best in his career surprisingly but he just cane off 2 of his worst.

There has to be skepticism that he might turn back to smith of 2 previous seasons. More than 1 year deals are a huge risk.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He's been a great veteran presence and brought a lot of energy to the team. I'd like to see him in Edmonton for one more season as a backup, but we need to lose Koskinen and upgrade our starting goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad