Confirmed with Link: Mike Smith Re-Signs 2 Years @2.2 million AAV

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not sure what to think. After last year, I was half expecting a 1 year, $4M deal, so in that sense, I'm glad the cap hit was spread over 2, but it feels like it might be desperation here. I hope this isn't a sign of a 5M X 6 year offer for Barrie coming in.

Really, 2M isn't a bad rate for a good backup, so I don't have a problem paying last years starter that, even if he is older than we would like.
With Koskinen's buyout, should we have that to worry about, we have 3.5M to goalies so far for the next two years. Hopefully we get another decent goalie to play alongside Smith.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
1 year too many but I guess it's a relatively small cap hit so whatever. I like his compete level and it seems to rub off on some of his teammates. We still need a #1 imo

space321

May 11, 2011
So much inconsistency in his past seasons and he gets two years at 39 years old.

jfc can't explain this using logic

Reactions: GreeningOil

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I'm fine with it. I was expecting around 3mil this year. So gives us some wiggle room this year.

Only drawback is year 2, but if he can't perform this year I suspect he's on LTIR year 2.

Signing older players to more than one year is way less risky than it was, as the NHL did away with the 35+ rule.

If Smith retires after one year, the cap hit goes with him.

If Smith performs well in both years, he's worth his weight in gold at 2mil.

As i alluded to in the Larsson thread, Smith WANTS to be an Oilers, which makes him even more valuable to have in the locker room.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Signing older players to more than one year is way less risky than it was, as the NHL did away with the 35+ rule.

As i alluded to in the Larsson thread, Smith WANTS to be an Oilers, which makes him even more valuable to have in the locker room.

Sure who else would give him that kind of deal?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

Im thinking that Holland was informed by Larsson at seasons end he wanted out. That’s why Keith was signed. Now I’m throwing rocks but I figure Hamonic and Barrie are signed

Reactions: yukoner88

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As a 1B/back up, it's fine. My guess is both the Oilers and Smith know he'll be on LTIR for the 2nd year but he gets paid more that way than a 1 year deal.

Have to find a better 1A though, Kuemper, Ullmark, should be targets.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Im thinking that Holland was informed by Larsson at seasons end he wanted out. That’s why Keith was signed. Now I’m throwing rocks but I figure Hamonic and Barrie are signed

I saw a vid a day or 2 ago (I'm pretty sure it was Friedman) who said that Barrie wanted to stick around and that a deal will be signed relatively quickly if Larsson left.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Given his performance this past season, I'm sure lots of teams would've been calling.

Anyone looking for a good backup/1A/1B would be kicking tires

Sure but I doubt he going to get a multi-year deal anywhere else for anything close to $4M.

Reactions: oilers'72

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Not sure what to think. After last year, I was half expecting a 1 year, $4M deal, so in that sense, I'm glad the cap hit was spread over 2, but it feels like it might be desperation here. I hope this isn't a sign of a 5M X 6 year offer for Barrie coming in.

Really, 2M isn't a bad rate for a good backup, so I don't have a problem paying last years starter that, even if he is older than we would like.
With Koskinen's buyout, should we have that to worry about, we have 3.5M to goalies so far for the next two years. Hopefully we get another decent goalie to play alongside Smith.

Yeah this pretty much, he earned a 1 year 4M deal, they split over 2 years. Hopefully he’s at least backup material in year 2, but I’d be willing to bet he’s a backup this year, but I was wrong last year also

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad