Speculation: Mike Richards

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I know it was widely known his style of play would lead to an early demise for this guy, but how quickly he has fallen by just 31 still shocks me.

Anyway, I dont know where he ends up, but a PTO somewhere seems like a likely outcome. I thought he would look a little better than he did for the Caps, but after that stint I dont think anyone is lining up to nab him.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I know it was widely known his style of play would lead to an early demise for this guy, but how quickly he has fallen by just 31 still shocks me.

Anyway, I dont know where he ends up, but a PTO somewhere seems like a likely outcome. I thought he would look a little better than he did for the Caps, but after that stint I dont think anyone is lining up to nab him.

When he was LA, he was playing just fine at first. But after a major concussion and then another concussion, he was done as an impact player.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
where does he go?

Fishing in Kenora, ON

original.jpeg

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
When he was LA, he was playing just fine at first. But after a major concussion and then another concussion, he was done as an impact player.

Yeah, I clearly remember him being a very good two way player for LA (as he was in Philly but less on the offensive side with the help he had in LA). Its a damn shame the concussions affected him so much.

I remember watching that NHL 36 about him a few years ago and coming away liking him, even though I had built up a healthy hatred of the player until that point. Its just hard to believe that was 4 years ago and today were talking about him potentially leaving the NHL today.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He could fill a role in anyone's 4th line, but the guy just cannot score. He still appears to play a very savvy game, and his skating was fine, but just a little offense and he's back in Washington. He was a goalscoring black hole. Was really pulling for him, but he's probably done unless he wants to play for pennies on the bottom line.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
He could fill a role in anyone's 4th line, but the guy just cannot score. He still appears to play a very savvy game, and his skating was fine, but just a little offense and he's back in Washington. He was a goalscoring black hole. Was really pulling for him, but he's probably done unless he wants to play for pennies on the bottom line.

so outside of scoring you thought he played fairly well? I wouldn't expect much from a 4th line center...just to be defensively responsible, physical, and good on the pk

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
In situations like this, I always look at a connection with a former coach:

- He played under Pete DeBoer in Kitchener (4 seasons, Memorial Cup Champ in 2003)
- He played under Peter Laviolette in Philadelphia (2 seasons, Stanley Cup finalist in 2010)

Any chance San Jose or Nashville would see value in Richards' veteran leadership and use him on their 4th line? :dunno:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
so outside of scoring you thought he played fairly well? I wouldn't expect much from a 4th line center...just to be defensively responsible, physical, and good on the pk

I really did think he played well given the circumstances, and I was fairly skeptical when he was signed.

He played up in the playoffs, but couldn't score on a barn door.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
In situations like this, I always look at a connection with a former coach:

- He played under Pete DeBoer in Kitchener (4 seasons, Memorial Cup Champ in 2003)
- He played under Peter Laviolette in Philadelphia (2 seasons, Stanley Cup finalist in 2010)

Any chance San Jose or Nashville would see value in Richards' veteran leadership and use him on their 4th line? :dunno:

Sharks have a truckload of better 4th line players than Richards.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah, I clearly remember him being a very good two way player for LA (as he was in Philly but less on the offensive side with the help he had in LA). Its a damn shame the concussions affected him so much.

I remember watching that NHL 36 about him a few years ago and coming away liking him, even though I had built up a healthy hatred of the player until that point. Its just hard to believe that was 4 years ago and today were talking about him potentially leaving the NHL today.

He was everything we hoped Lucic would be, especially in the playoffs.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I'd take him for an year on Colorado. We need some centres like Grigorenko and possibly Duchene playing on the wing due to our lack of depth on the wing so he'd be a good 4 C and PKer. We also don't have much depth on the farm and rely on waiver acquisitions for the 4th line.

Also, the current veteran forwards on the team haven't really been helpful imo, Richards has a different style to a guy like Iginla which might help the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00